Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: miners lamp checks  (Read 12135 times)
hoover-G

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2014, 12:58:39 AM »

Ye thats one....great bud I ll save all these in my album

I dont know if you know,  but the way they work is before you went down the pit you handed your check to the lampman in exchange for your lamp. Your check was hung on a board so the foreman knew who was down,  at the end of the shift you d hand your lamp in and get your check back and usually take it home......thats why we sometimes find them......although im still waiting for mine Wink.......
Yea think i read up about them somewhere maybe when i was on a school trip to big pit or somewhere many moons ago lol. When i first came across it i thought just another token but seen your post and others checks i soon came curious and started sniffing my cabinet out. Are they pretty hard to come across then mate
nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2014, 01:11:36 AM »

You d think with the amount of miners over the years (especially up Rhondda)  hundreds of thousands should be turning up..... like the viccy pennies.....but surprisingly they re pretty rare!!
My mates got a stunning collection....if enough people are intetested I ll get some pics and his story of what life was like underground

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
hoover-G

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2014, 01:19:43 AM »

As I'm a decent guy and your mate collects them tell him he can have the one shown in picture. I'll bring it along too next rallie for you or unless if you like you can inbox me his address and il send it too him first thing Monday how's that sound! after all it will mean more too him than me and be on display with many others  Wink
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2014, 01:23:28 AM »

Back in the eighties when the pits were being closed, I was friendly with a couple of blokes
who were capping the mines. I asked them what happened to the pit checks and head lamps.
[A lot of miners obviously kept theirs,] But they said that they had picked up a few themselves.
I offered to buy them all, the next day they brought up two buckets full of checks and about 30 head lamps.Lamp checks at that time were fetching between £3- £5 each, I sold them all. I think
i've still got 2 of the cap lamps left somewhere

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
hoover-G

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2014, 01:29:36 AM »

Back in the eighties when the pits were being closed, I was friendly with a couple of blokes
who were capping the mines. I asked them what happened to the pit checks and head lamps.
[A lot of miners obviously kept theirs,] But they said that they had picked up a few themselves.
I offered to buy them all, the next day they brought up two buckets full of checks and about 30 head lamps.Lamp checks at that time were fetching between £3- £5 each, I sold them all. I think
i've still got 2 of the cap lamps left somewhere
Isit yea well if i was into them I'd collect them but I've only 1 and nobbys mate collects them he may aswell introduce this 1 too his collection. Buckles i love too collect but not the big iron ones ofcourse Haa.
nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2014, 01:36:49 AM »

Thats mighty decent of you g......... I sure I cam find a buckle here fir you mate Wink

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
hoover-G

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2014, 01:57:37 AM »

No worrys pal and cheers. It's the little things like that that makes the next man happy after all its not what money's they bring.  Wink
monkeymad

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2014, 06:29:46 AM »

I found a diamond shaped one with westbromwich association of miners on it. Didn't know what it was so just dug it out for him. If interested and it's not one he already has.

Marcus Porcius Purpurio

2013 finds:-
Hammered x6
centenary medal x1
Fob seal matrix x1
Tons of other bits now.
alun

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2014, 09:20:54 AM »

Try and find mine from the days when I was a boy lol.
If I can your welcome to them. Treforgan and Blaenant.
Might even know where they dumped a load during the demolition of old Treforgan. Have to look into that one for you.

Roman Artefacts: 6
Gold:         3
Medieval 15
Silver:34
Etrac
AT Pro
Whites
galoshers

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2014, 10:46:25 AM »

yep strange they are so rare .
nobby
Superhero Member