Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: When to stop (how deep)  (Read 5169 times)
congerman
Superhero Member

« on: February 16, 2014, 08:34:12 PM »

Last summer I was out inland with Geoff (eddiethefly)  ( red hot day) and he had A cracking signal on his ctx 3030,,
 (in the middle of the field ) it was showing deep an hour later I went over to see what it was but he was still digging he had dug through loads of flint and was down 12+ inches the detector was still giving A good signal so on we dug we ended up putting the coil into the  hole and the signal was still the same crisp + clear still having to break through the flint we had the problem now that the contents were wet through and little pools of water were forming at the bottom of the hole we removed the wet soil but it was still reading 9nches + on the detector we checked all round the edge inside of  the hole with the pin pointers but the signal was at the bottom we got about half way up the spade handle after 3hrs  digging then we called it and filled it in we still talk about what could of been down there  and should we of carried on digging  just thinking how deep would some others go to see whats down there  Huh
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 08:37:21 PM by congerman » Logged
diggaduff

Xp Deus user

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 08:58:31 PM »

Fair play on leaving it there, I don't think I could cope with the possibility of reading about a  hoard found were I had been detecting  Grin

Life's about getting Hammered                                               Pembrokeshire Searchers
matthewbullingham123

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 09:02:01 PM »

They had a Roman anvil from a fair depth in that program featuring Mud Men Johnny Vaughan and Steve Brooker
Youngsmiler
Rally attendee

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 09:02:15 PM »

It would kill me thinking what could still be down there.

Jcb time....just fill that hole back in afters haha.
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 09:08:35 PM »

Last summer I was out inland with Geoff (eddiethefly)  ( red hot day) and he had A cracking signal on his ctx 3030,,
 (in the middle of the field ) it was showing deep an hour later I went over to see what it was but he was still digging he had dug through loads of flint and was down 12+ inches the detector was still giving A good signal so on we dug we ended up putting the coil into the  hole and the signal was still the same crisp + clear still having to break through the flint we had the problem now that the contents were wet through and little pools of water were forming at the bottom of the hole we removed the wet soil but it was still reading 9nches + on the detector we checked all round the edge inside of  the hole with the pin pointers but the signal was at the bottom we got about half way up the spade handle after 3hrs  digging then we called it and filled it in we still talk about what could of been down there  and should we of carried on digging  just thinking how deep would some others go to see whats down there  Huh
I work flint fields and have dug seriously deep holes, and had a hoard at 18 inches! The only way I would stop digging a hole on a good signal is if I saw flames and the devil himself told me to f**** off! Go back and finish the dig mate Wink Wink Wink
outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 09:10:05 PM »

Basically by rule of thumb you shouldnt dig deeper than the plough soil depth.

In reality it is very difficult to walk away especially if you are sure that the signal is a good target. Personally I would have probably carried on till I had found it.

A while ago on a roman site, I too had a cracking signal. I rang the farmer to ask permission top dig a large hole and did have his blessing. 2 feet down and a large hole later, I found roman tiles and a gigantic piece of lead approximately
12 x 3' !

Brecon museum sent it down to Mark Lodwick, unfortunately no one could say one way or the other whether it was roman or not.
Though seeing that it was near roman tiles I felt it was roman  Roll Eyes
welshjohn

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 09:24:18 PM »

I'm with everyone else; it would have to come up even if it meant going back another day just to excavate that signal !

John
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 09:30:56 PM »

Yea, I fell for that one once.  So deep I gave up but it nagged me to go back. I ended up with a huge hole at the bottom of a bank under a tree and what was it...................an old cattle grid.   Mind you that was back when I had the Whites machine.  The Safari is much more reliable. Roll Eyes

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 09:32:37 PM »

Never give up - Never surrender...  (Galaxy quest)

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
hoover-G

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 10:08:17 PM »

I remember one off the first times I went out too search a field and within an hour my day went from using my machine and turned into a ground work crafting day with the spade. I also gave up on it and it played on my mind so I went back weeks later and could not find any signal there. Puzzled me!! I no for certain I wasn't wearing toecap boots so it couldn't off been that lol. Since that moment I will not give up on any signal until I see it with my own eyes after all I'm out there too retrieve whatever it may be that gives me a good enough signal and tells me too dig that target in the first place.  Wink
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 10:16:12 PM »

Basically by rule of thumb you shouldnt dig deeper than the plough soil depth.

In reality it is very difficult to walk away especially if you are sure that the signal is a good target. Personally I would have probably carried on till I had found it.

A while ago on a roman site, I too had a cracking signal. I rang the farmer to ask permission top dig a large hole and did have his blessing. 2 feet down and a large hole later, I found roman tiles and a gigantic piece of lead approximately
12 x 3' !

Brecon museum sent it down to Mark Lodwick, unfortunately no one could say one way or the other whether it was roman or not.
Though seeing that it was near roman tiles I felt it was roman  Roll Eyes
Rule of thumb  ???shouldn't dig deeper than the plough soil ???how does that work, some of my best finds have been below that, not by a lot admittedly  Wink Wink and a lot hoards on display in museums probably came from that level, mine certainly did, and the archaeologists who removed most of it was glad I dug it and saved it  Wink
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 10:38:09 PM »

I don't know why we cant go deeper than the plough soil? is the reason arachnology? most farmers only plough 10-12 inches, but what about the 24 plus inch subsoiler ripping through, what most use before the plough to brake the ground.
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 11:58:37 PM »

had a signal at the penmark rally a few years ago , dug down and down , hole got deeper , wider , different machines used to test the signal all said the same thing DIG IT  , through the top soil , through a layer of stone , more soil , im at around 24" and 1/2 ton of spoil and a flat stone at the bottom , its gotto be a hoard , uuuummm no it was a reinforced patio slab /concrete thing with galvanised rebar within it  Angry Angry Angry Angry , how the f#### did it get there  Undecided Undecided Undecided

chef told me a story once of a large hole dug to expose the corner of a fridge freezer which the farmer new nothing about  Cheesy

if it sounds like a good un' dig it , one day it might not be just rubbish  Wink Wink

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 12:03:29 AM »

Was there any food in the fridge ?

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
legio11augustus
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 12:57:36 AM »

it would niggle away at me , curiosity killed the cat, but i would have to know wether it was rubbish or not ...it could of been anything.........and i would certainly dig below plough soil .you dont get hoard buriers ,thinking i will  only bury this treasure in the plough soil  Grin

non atrocitate non clementia mutabatur

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal