Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Penllergare.  (Read 7935 times)
Youngsmiler
Rally attendee

« on: February 16, 2014, 07:35:50 PM »

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but been reading the history  of John Dillwyn Llewellyn, and his estate in penllergare.

I grew up in the area, and as kids we used to fish the river llan that goes through the estate.You have the 'hidden waterfall there. we would sometimes venture up to where the old mansion used to be and see old remnants of the house and out buildings.http://www.penllergare.org/html/johndillwyn.html

Waterfall.

The mansion was destroyed and replaced by a ‘civic centre’. Development and vandalism added to the effects of neglect. The woodland gardens were "top-sliced" by the M4 motorway. Modern houses abut on the walled gardens and spill into the park. The promised country park in the 1990s failed to materialise, and the derelict house was demolished for safety reasons in the 1960s.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penllergare

There are council offices there now, but a observatory built by the man himself still stands.

The renbwl woods next to the where the house used to stand has been pretty much untouched.

I don't know if it has been explored with detector, but would love to try it up there.Not sure how difficult a permission that would be to obtain seeing the history of the place.

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 07:55:35 PM »

Nice idea but probably a no goer on permission.  Best of luck, you don't know till you ask. Wink

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 08:31:12 PM »

eh no lol Cheesy

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
Youngsmiler
Rally attendee

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 08:31:27 PM »

Nice idea but probably a no goer on permission.  Best of luck, you don't know till you ask. Wink

Val

Yes.

Maybe worth finding out where the boundaries are that would permit a search.The estate covers a lot of ground.
Youngsmiler
Rally attendee

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 08:32:36 PM »

eh no lol Cheesy

He who dares rodders he who dares.
alun

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 08:46:19 PM »

Worth finding out as there has been a lot of work done on the area where the company I work for supplied the plant machinery.
Like you said buddy, if you don't ask you will never know.

Roman Artefacts: 6
Gold:         3
Medieval 15
Silver:34
Etrac
AT Pro
Whites
Youngsmiler
Rally attendee

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 08:57:32 PM »

Worth finding out as there has been a lot of work done on the area where the company I work for supplied the plant machinery.
Like you said buddy, if you don't ask you will never know.

This time next year we all be doing a rally on that estate lol.

Just been reading others accounts where dealing with the council and permissions..scary stuff.

The penllegare trust has nothing to do with the council, and i'm thinking of it being a long term goal to somehow get on there.

I'm wondering if they wanted further understanding of the estate collecting anything valuable by detecting would be in its best interests.Its still early days for me with detecting so maybe i'm being to hopeful etc.

ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 08:59:17 PM »

Been done to death over the years bro. Its now a 'public park type thingy'. Swansea MDC contacted the estate last year and organised a rally there which
produced very little. Because the public has total access to these grounds, the amount of rubbish (cans, bottle tops, ring pulls etc.) is terrible. The stuff is everywhere.
Having been there and spent a day detecting, its not a place I would want to re-visit.
The estate's grounds have been run down for many, many years, but there's a new initiative to perhaps bring some of the area's back into public usage by clearing some of the undergrowth that had overtaken the estate, but how much difference that's going to make I'm not sure.

Ysbyty

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 08:59:34 PM »

Just ask the question 'whats in it for them' .... work out your answers and when you are ready to approach them, use them to make your case.

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
Bling (mark)

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 09:03:10 PM »

If your feeling fit mate lots of the ground work is being done by volunteers you never know  good will works sometimes.  

Soveriegn xs2 pro / goldmaxx power v4 /makro racer
Youngsmiler
Rally attendee

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 09:34:27 PM »

Been done to death over the years bro. Its now a 'public park type thingy'. Swansea MDC contacted the estate last year and organised a rally there which
produced very little. Because the public has total access to these grounds, the amount of rubbish (cans, bottle tops, ring pulls etc.) is terrible. The stuff is everywhere.
Having been there and spent a day detecting, its not a place I would want to re-visit.
The estate's grounds have been run down for many, many years, but there's a new initiative to perhaps bring some of the area's back into public usage by clearing some of the undergrowth that had overtaken the estate, but how much difference that's going to make I'm not sure.

Ysbyty

Yes ive seen the changes to the place over the years.They have opened areas along the river and around the estate.Its a lot cleaner than it used to be.

The estate has been searched ?, that's great.At least it shows they are open to it.

I wonder how much of the grounds were covered ? ,and were searches done only where the paths are.I know there are areas there that still take a bit of getting into.

ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 09:41:23 PM »

Not sure Jase.
Whilst walking back to the parking area and stopping to speak to an old lady walking her dog and it was her that said, they've been detecting there for years.
The undergrowth might have restricted searching to a certain extent. The interesting parts should be where their dredging the river bottom, as that soil is then being put back
into the valley sides and bottom. So whatever has gone into the water in the past might be brought back to the dry land. certainly worth keeping your eye on.

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal