Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Beach bling  (Read 3971 times)
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« on: February 14, 2014, 05:07:38 PM »

After a very successful day at the beach yesterday,  Grin well coins anyway :(It got me wondering why can all those coins come up and no rings ? Despite having 3 experienced detectorists with Sovereigns, E trac, and a CTX, and are without doubt the best beach machines on the market. I would be interested in your thoughts as to why no rings turned up? And yes it could be that not one of us went over a ring but I don't buy that if they were with in range someone would have turned one up for sure!!! So I guess they are deeper, could it be to do with the coins having a larger surface area that creates a resistance and stops them sinking quite so deep ? And also they are more easily moved around the beach by tide and weather? The rings on the other hand not having that surface area tend to sink deeper over time. Does any one have any thoughts Smiley
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 05:13:38 PM »

i still think they move in and out with the force of the tides paul.would love to be able to track one for a year.would be very interesting.
 i know chains move up and down the beach ,probably cos of their mass.need to talk to steven hawking on the subject.
see if he could come up with an equasion on how rings seem to hide out of reach .
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 05:22:21 PM by dances with badgers » Logged

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
matthewbullingham123

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 05:14:49 PM »

well look at how many of the 1970 1/2p's come up on the beach and they are tiny,  i would disagree with the surface area theory, i would say more to do with the weight, think of the wet  sand sticking and being inside the ring , which is added weight and would be heavier than the majority of coins? Wind and the sea would churn up the coins because they're lighter and be harder to move the rings?

On the other hand i might be talking pooop  Roll Eyes

dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 05:17:32 PM »

when i turn up in a gold plated lotus mk1 cortina with dwb on the number plate you will know i have cracked the answer lol Wink

gold = loads lol
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 05:35:41 PM »

Rings do have a greater drag factor so could dig themselves in quicker which probably lessens the effect of longshore drift and thus the natural size/weight grading that the sea carries out also the majority of rings come off in the water whereas coins are generally lost on the dry sand.
But even then if you took all the coins found by the 4 of you yesterday you probably still wouldn't be close to one percent of the thousand of coins lost compared to every ring Huh
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 05:39:07 PM »

loads out there geoff  Wink

gold = loads lol
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 05:41:35 PM »

3 years ago I was telling you that  Grin Grin Grin Grin
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 05:46:03 PM »

i know lol Grin

gold = loads lol
matthewbullingham123

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 05:52:51 PM »

Rings do have a greater drag factor so could dig themselves in quicker which probably lessens the effect of longshore drift and thus the natural size/weight grading that the sea carries out also the majority of rings come off in the water whereas coins are generally lost on the dry sand.
But even then if you took all the coins found by the 4 of you yesterday you probably still wouldn't be close to one percent of the thousand of coins lost compared to every ring Huh

You have got a good point with the percentages and areas lost.
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 08:48:27 PM »

give u an example.7000 peeps a days visit barry in summer time.how many rings do you think get lost?
 i followed surfers last year and worked out for every hundred surfers i found one gold ring at 4 inches deep(recent drop).
surfers must have wised up an remove their jewellry.
normal day trippers have not

gold = loads lol
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 08:49:50 PM »

I hear what you guys say, and thanks for your input Wink clearly there's no definitive answer and depends on many factors Smiley I come up with another theory .......there all sat in a glory hole just waiting for some one to come up with a mother load.. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 08:51:44 PM »

must be hot spots but i get gold all over  (normally not lately )

gold = loads lol
Meatslicer

Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 08:54:03 PM »

As you say, coins tend to be lost in the dry sand where people sit and play with kids etc, while rings tend to be dropped when swimmers get cold hands and they slip off. Thing with Barry beach is that the beach slopes so gently, swimmers have to go some way down the beach to get any depth of water.

The only time I've seen swimmers out at high tide was when I was there at night in summer and a gang of skinny dippers were there. They seem to stick to the end of the beach away from the shops.

The other people likely to drop bling are surfers and wind surfers. Again they tend to stick to deeper water, or beaches like rest bay which is more exposed and has has better surf.

Add to that the constant scanning the beach gets most evenings after any high activity, it's not really surprising that rings don't show up that much. For us anyway.

Eric

22 Roman  Coins
13 Hammered
4 Georgian Silver
4 Silver love tokens
8 Victorian  Silver
40 Victorian Copper
6 Edwardian Silver
7 George IV
4 George V
0 Gold Coins
1 iron age gold
9 Roman Brooches
4 Copper Knobs
30 Buckles
1 med dagger hilt
1 Roman Spoon
2x Silver Gilt Treasure items
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 09:07:10 PM »

the rings are always there just out of reach but every now and again you can just get a few,,believe me i know.lol.you must believe or the rings wont come up.its easy to give up on the rings,i nearly did after 8 months of searchin.it was only cos of cheff geoff,celtic spikey.dragonsbreath,goldquest and others that kept me swingin my coil.
 gold is all around us,you got to walk over it at right times/conditions.especially on the beaches.theres tons out there but unless you beleive and keep swingin you wont get it.good summer last year .loads of swimmers so beaches had a bit of a re load.
 i was at polzeath for 4 days last summer.i counted thousands of swimmers/surfers every day but i didnt get any rings,does'nt mean they were not falling off cos they were ,just means they were out of reach.
 theres loads out there/
 Wink Wink but dont forget its all mine lol

gold = loads lol

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal