Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Loads of coins.  (Read 8880 times)
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 10:24:59 AM »

D
My collection of ring pulls was fairly extensive too. Loads and loads  and loads of decimal pennies, two pences, fifty p's, pound coin, sixpences, thrupenny bits, two silver joeys and a lead soldier! Strangely had some heavy calibre bullets and casings too.

Not to mention the freezing wind, hailstones, rain and dog walkers. Absolutely frozen getting back to the car.

Currently aching from head to toe. A great day out!

Eric

P.s. It was Barry Chef
Grin ;)Makes you wonder why we do it Eric, we're a strange bun has you say good day though, catch you again mate Wink
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 10:27:36 AM »

That's some dedicated digging Paul, well done. Not sure where you went but I remember as a child being at Barry and you could buy pot's of tea which included tray, pot, cups and spoons to take on the beach which could explain a few of those spoons being there.
Could you imagine giving that service nowadays? you wouldn't get 50% of it back.
It was Barry Geoff, do you want your spoons back mate Wink shame they were not silver eh,  Wink Wink
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2014, 10:32:20 AM »

I know Dale, it's amazing no gold with all those coins, I reckon the Bling is a bit deeper at the moment. Mother Nature has to work a bit harder on the beaches Wink Wink
falcon.

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2014, 11:03:02 AM »

Fair play to you thats alot of diggin nice sesh... Wink
Meatslicer

Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2014, 11:53:51 AM »

I stopped counting at 200 holes. I could hardly take a step without finding something else. The sand is literally 4-5 feet lower around the stonework ramps. The council will have to replace some of it so punters can get on to the beach safely from the ramps. Stopped at the half way mark when the tide was nearly in. There were bits of a big wooden barrel scattered all over the beach too so I think it must have been buried in the sand somewhere. wonder what was in it before it got smashed up.

Next target will be ogmore and porthcawl/rest bay I think.

Loads of wreckage being exposed from Georgian and earlier shipwrecks.

Eric

22 Roman  Coins
13 Hammered
4 Georgian Silver
4 Silver love tokens
8 Victorian  Silver
40 Victorian Copper
6 Edwardian Silver
7 George IV
4 George V
0 Gold Coins
1 iron age gold
9 Roman Brooches
4 Copper Knobs
30 Buckles
1 med dagger hilt
1 Roman Spoon
2x Silver Gilt Treasure items
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2014, 01:09:06 PM »

When you talked about the ramps (the first post) I thought you might have meant Barry - strange to see rocks in the middle of the beach for me - I'll have to go and have a look - just to see how much sand has gone!

Have you ever tried detecting in Jackson's Bay round the corner? I know it's quieter there, but there's probably something there.

I'm amazed though that Barry is still throwing up pre-decimal - what a weight of coins and other stuff must have been lost there over the years.

I was interested in you mentioning Ogmore too - that's the only place I've ever detected on a beach (found 20p) - mind you all the nice sand is on the other side of the river whrere not many people go!
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2014, 05:48:21 PM »

ooh your backs must be shot after all that diggin.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 08:37:38 PM by dances with badgers » Logged

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
I will find it

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2014, 06:59:57 PM »

My collection of ring pulls was fairly extensive too. Loads and loads  and loads of decimal pennies, two pences, fifty p's, pound coin, sixpences, thrupenny bits, two silver joeys and a lead soldier! Strangely had some heavy calibre bullets and casings too.

Not to mention the freezing wind, hailstones, rain and dog walkers. Absolutely frozen getting back to the car.

Currently aching from head to toe. A great day out!

Eric

P.s. It was Barry Chef

Hello there Meatslicer, long time no hear, no see!

Gosh you were brave today. I thought about going out but changed my mind in the end. I didn't fancy getting soaked and cold. I not detect much since we last met in 2011. Although I did get out and have a swing there the other day after the storms and had quite a few pre decimal and recent coins and funny enough a lead soldier, must have been the same little boy who lost them. Aw! Nice to get silver joeys. The heavy calibre bullets and casings were probably from when soldiers trained on Friars Point. I had quite a few from up there. The barrels had cement in someone said may be ship ballast? Great to see though. I have never seen the sand so so low and the damage to the paths. (Have a look on Award winning beach under threat from Barry and District New).  Where's the gold that's what I want to know. May get out and have a swing next week.

Glad you and Paul had a good time. Hope you are thawing out and your aches and pains get better.
Meatslicer

Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2014, 08:17:07 PM »

Talk about a last from the past! I thought you had sold up and retired.

Yesterday was the first beach detecting I've done for ages. I've been busy finding more roman off my villa site, the one you and Salty came on. I've switched to the north end of the field away from the villa, been finding brooches coins and hobnails.

I'll be going to Barry again tomorrow if the weather settles down a bit. My new detector, a ctx3030, is the dogs doodahs on sand. I am practicing with the 6inch coil and it's brill.

Let me know if your near there and maybe we can meet and have a chat.

Eric

22 Roman  Coins
13 Hammered
4 Georgian Silver
4 Silver love tokens
8 Victorian  Silver
40 Victorian Copper
6 Edwardian Silver
7 George IV
4 George V
0 Gold Coins
1 iron age gold
9 Roman Brooches
4 Copper Knobs
30 Buckles
1 med dagger hilt
1 Roman Spoon
2x Silver Gilt Treasure items
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2014, 08:50:05 PM »

nice to see marjie back on the scene Smiley

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
welsh john

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2014, 01:43:25 PM »

That's some dedicated digging Paul, well done. Not sure where you went but I remember as a child being at Barry and you could buy pot's of tea which included tray, pot, cups and spoons to take on the beach which could explain a few of those spoons being there.
Could you imagine giving that service nowadays? you wouldn't get 50% of it back.
You would'nt get it back then looking at the amount of spoons in the pic. Shocked

Minelab Explorer SE.
Sef 8x6 coil,Platapus coil,10"stock coil.
Garrett pro pointer.
Finds,
Queen Ann trade weight.
Bronze Axe Head.
Roman partifact.
1350 Bronze Token.
William lll Sixpence.
George lll Shilling.
Victoria Shilling.
Silver......80g.
Gold.........0g.
Scrap
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2014, 01:51:04 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy very true...and that may explain why they don't do it now Wink
I will find it

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2014, 12:15:17 AM »

Talk about a last from the past! I thought you had sold up and retired.

Yesterday was the first beach detecting I've done for ages. I've been busy finding more roman off my villa site, the one you and Salty came on. I've switched to the north end of the field away from the villa, been finding brooches coins and hobnails.

I'll be going to Barry again tomorrow if the weather settles down a bit. My new detector, a ctx3030, is the dogs doodahs on sand. I am practicing with the 6inch coil and it's brill.

Let me know if your near there and maybe we can meet and have a chat.

Eric

Glad you are still passionate about your villa and finding pieces. The biggie is there somewhere lol!

A new detector........ dogs doodahs on sand..... lots of that til May lol!. Aw I'd love another lightweight.. Dances with Badgers (Mike) said I could have a swing with one of his next time he's at the beach. I was at the beach today finding coins, no gold as yet! It would be great to meet up sometime.   
welsh john

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2014, 05:18:20 PM »

Heres a Golly just like the one in the pic that sold on ebay for £18.99

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-ROBERTSONS-GOLDEN-SHRED-GOLFING-GOLF-MILLER-GOLLY-ADVERTISING-PIN-BADGE-/281239708005?pt=UK_Collectables_Badges_Patches_MJ&hash=item417b316165
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 05:20:19 PM by welsh john » Logged

Minelab Explorer SE.
Sef 8x6 coil,Platapus coil,10"stock coil.
Garrett pro pointer.
Finds,
Queen Ann trade weight.
Bronze Axe Head.
Roman partifact.
1350 Bronze Token.
William lll Sixpence.
George lll Shilling.
Victoria Shilling.
Silver......80g.
Gold.........0g.
Scrap
deepersweeper

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2014, 07:54:18 PM »

wow well worth throwing a sickie,nice days detecting well done Smiley

I'd rather be having a bad day out detecting,than a good day at work.
XP Deus,Garratt probe,Ws5

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal