Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to grade a coin ?  (Read 1750 times)
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« on: February 11, 2014, 11:36:17 PM »

I've put this in this section as I know the relevant members check it out. My question is, how on earth does one grade a coin?

I assumed fine meant in mint condition, however looking at some examples of fine, the coins are nowhere near what I though fine consisted of, so how do they grade them guys ?

What would my Jimmy Green tanner be graded at ?

* JAMESHEAD.jpg (227.79 KB, 757x380 - viewed 444 times.)

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 11:53:57 PM »

Try googling " Grading hammered coins " Rob. WWW.hammeredcoin.co.uk
There's a great explanation on there. Going by their description I would say yours is Fine
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 12:00:49 AM by The order of the lightbulb » Logged

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 08:01:13 PM »

We see that Spinks lists the coins as Fine, VF and EF. However, when grading for an auction I think the obverse and reverse can sometimes be graded differently.

Hammered                 5         
Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
Disc brooches             2
Med. silver annular brooch
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 09:23:09 AM »

It really depends on who is doing the grading.

If you want to grade a coin the traditional way, using 'Spink' grading then this coin would probably come out as about GF / F. On ebay this coin would be classed as minty.

To properly grade a coin you need to take into account a whole host of different parts - just because a coin has a fantastic portrait doesn't mean it is EF (extremely fine) - if the legend is missing ./ there are flat struck areas then it cannot be called 'EF' in truth, but could be graded as 'having EF details' - or as in teh case of many Chas I coins 'as struck' - i.e no wear but still not a sharp coin.

For your example, the coin is quite round, and I think that the initial strike was a good one as the legends are mostly clear and there doesn't seem to be much (if any) double striking. There is what seems to be siginicant wear to the king's head at the high points, and there are the two flat struck areas on the reverse (I don't know the history of the coin myself, but seeing that would normally indicate that the coin has been straightened / flattened at some point, which could then explain some of the flatness on the king's head). There are no major splits in the flan (which is good)., so hence a grading of GF overall, but with a 'creased' note.

Spink would probably grade it lower - I remember someone telling me that if sell coins, it is better to under-grade them and then the customer is happy when they receive the coin, rather than over grade and have an unhappy customer (who is less likely to buy from you again).

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal