Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally a day out!  (Read 3375 times)
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« on: February 08, 2014, 09:57:36 AM »

Well after a 2 week break from detecting due to home commitments I was itching to get back to the fields Tongue, so yesterday I set off to a predominantly Roman field with the occasional bit of Celtic chucked in, if I’m lucky Roll Eyes. I had my trusty Deus with my new 11” coil, and as I have just about mastered the machine I decided to set up some programmes for my various fields, it was a lovely day windy but sunny spells and it was a joy to be out Cool. The pictures show 4 x Roman coins of various denominations unfortunately the two large coins have been badly corroded which is very unusual for this site as generally coins this size come up with a nice patina, the small bronze item is Roman I’m sure but as to what it was used for I do not know. Thought I would show an interesting piece of pot I picked up which I think may be part of an amphora? I hope to get back tomorrow for a few more hours as another farm I search is currently laying some pipes across a field Roll Eyes that I get a few Roman and some years back I had a cracking Saxon disc brooch bronze with silver and a gold chip carved design, and despite nothing else of Saxon date from the area I can’t help feeling it may have come from a grave due to its location Undecided, as the top foot has been removed it would be silly not to search the area again, so I will update as and when, till then good searching  Wink Wink Wink

* House 029.JPG (203.78 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 447 times.)

* House 030.JPG (45.1 KB, 448x336 - viewed 434 times.)

* House 031.JPG (45.01 KB, 448x336 - viewed 443 times.)
matthewbullingham123

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 10:14:41 AM »

well found ! goodluck when you go back out!
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 10:30:46 AM »

nice little lot there paul , good luck when you get back out

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
diggaduff

Xp Deus user

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 12:45:17 PM »

Nice finds, itching to get out  as well

Life's about getting Hammered                                               Pembrokeshire Searchers
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 02:04:53 PM »

Great finds Paul, Good luck with the pipe fields.

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 02:19:09 PM »

Well done Paul, I think you're spot on with the pottery it certainly looks like a hand built neck of an amphora, very nice Wink
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 06:29:50 PM »

Nice finds, itching to get out  as well
After 2 weeks I was starting to get the jitters mate Wink feel better now thou!! Smiley
150aceboy
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 06:31:49 PM »

Well done on the finds m8  Wink
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 06:35:29 PM »

Thanks guys , hey Geoff May be the base of the pott contains the silver and gold coins Shocked Shocked and not wine! Wink now where's. The question is where's the base, rest assure if I find it I will put a post up Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 11:44:17 PM »

Could you post a picture of the other side of the coins please? The one on the bottom right is Flavian (probably Vespasian I think).

How thick is the pottery? The Amphora that my parents and I dug up (or I should say about a 1/3 of one) was a similar colour, and the walls were quite thick. Ours didn't have any coins in it though - in 20 years they found only 2 coins that I've heard about that were roman (they were digging a roman farmstead).
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 09:51:04 PM »

Could you post a picture of the other side of the coins please? The one on the bottom right is Flavian (probably Vespasian I think).

How thick is the pottery? The Amphora that my parents and I dug up (or I should say about a 1/3 of one) was a similar colour, and the walls were quite thick. Ours didn't have any coins in it though - in 20 years they found only 2 coins that I've heard about that were roman (they were digging a roman farmstead).
Hi probono, here's the other side of coins Huh Huh, the amphora is between 5mm at the neck and 8mm below neck. Wow a farmstead, its a shame more never came up for you. I reckon if my amphora had been filled with coins I would know it by now Shocked cheers for ID....spikey Wink

* 001.JPG (212.56 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 422 times.)
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 12:26:11 PM »

Ok.

so top right coin is an Urbs roma type (c. 330ad). Bottom left coin seems to be a left facing dupondius - haven't nailed it down yet - top left coin is 4th century - probably one of the sons of Constantine.

With regards the roman farmstead, they were amateur archaeologists - and mostly dug the ditches, so no where where they might find a coni (although they did find a 1920's shilling in one of the ditches.....). I have permission to detect near the farmstead, but it belongs to another landowner....
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 04:29:06 PM »

nice one paul Smiley

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
congerman
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 04:37:21 PM »

nice finds well searched  Wink
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 08:30:32 PM »

Ok.

so top right coin is an Urbs roma type (c. 330ad). Bottom left coin seems to be a left facing dupondius - haven't nailed it down yet - top left coin is 4th century - probably one of the sons of Constantine.

With regards the roman farmstead, they were amateur archaeologists - and mostly dug the ditches, so no where where they might find a coni (although they did find a 1920's shilling in one of the ditches.....). I have permission to detect near the farmstead, but it belongs to another landowner....
Thanks for your id, must be stuff near farmstead keep at mate cheers Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal