Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: coinage minted  (Read 2634 times)
legio11augustus
Superhero Member

« on: January 24, 2014, 10:29:58 AM »

how quick does the coinage change when an old king is succeeded,why i ask is i was wondering if any exist of Edgar the Ętheling.after the battle of hastings harold was killed ,but before william took the throne .edgar was proclaimed king ..i dont know what timespan was involved but if it was say a few months would a new coinage be struck?has any ever been found?

non atrocitate non clementia mutabatur
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 10:50:36 AM »

He only reigned for two months and was never crowned, I doubt that with a Norman army advancing northward, coinage would have been on anybodies minds Huh
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 04:02:25 PM »

He only reigned for two months and was never crowned, I doubt that with a Norman army advancing northward, coinage would have been on anybodies minds Huh

It depends on many factors - many of the more ephemeral emperors of roman times managed to strike coins - Marius was rumoured to have only reigned for 3 days, but there are loads of coins of his (that's why the 3 days is rubbish) - but look at people like Pacatian - coins overstruck (badly) on other coinage.

Gordian I & II and Balbinus and Pupienus are also cases in point in terms of coinage produced and short reigns - but then in anglosaxon times (and later) minting wasn't so centralised, so it's more than likely that Harold's coins were continuing to be produced.
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 04:39:08 PM »

No it's not more likely at all! We are talking about the Norman invasion, the destruction of practically the whole of the English nobility, this was no "one out one in" Roman power grab that probably didn't in most cases effect the common man this was military occupation at it's finest and most ruthless.
Roman coins would have been minted for longer than the reign as it wasn't as if you could pick up the phone and cancel the coin order  Cheesy I  would presume that many issues didn't even get minted until long after the Emperor was dead, When Severus died at York I wonder how long the news took to get to the Eastern limit of the empire on the caspian see which is , as the crow flies, is 2500 miles Huh
legio11augustus
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 07:42:09 PM »

well ok maybe in roman times news didnt travel fast , but ok he never was crowned but he was proclaimed king and mints very nearby..just really interested that maybe somewhere some of his coinage exists?

non atrocitate non clementia mutabatur
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 03:42:10 PM »

The new king ,certainly in later medevial certainly used a variant on their fathers head till they established their own coinage.. Smiley
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 03:28:22 PM »

The new king ,certainly in later medevial certainly used a variant on their fathers head till they established their own coinage.. Smiley

That was my point I suppose - as it took some time for news to get to various parts of the kingdom, I'm sure the local moneyer kept knocking out whatever coins he was meant to until someone told him otherwise.....and for slightly later times when you had the 'frozen' coinage Edward III minted coins in Henry III's name for a while after he became king. Of course in the difficult times after the invasion then there would have been confusion - there are no coins of Edmund Ironside either (from a slightly earlier period).

re: Chef's point in getting info across the roman empire, it was possible to get messages more rapidly than one would imagine - for instance Darius (Persian king) was able to send messages ~200miles a day across his roads, so 2500 would be less than two weeks. I seem to remember that if extremis there was the possibility of signal fires and the like - and so this could be sent much quicker (but I can't remember where I read about that).
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 04:30:45 PM »

The persian system was indeed very fast by the use of multiple messengers in stages, Rome however used a single messenger as they found extra information could be cleaned by questioning the person on arrival, this limited the speed to an average of 50 miles a day. When Agrippa's son, Gaius died at Lycia the news of his death took 27 days to reach Rome a total of just over 1300 miles which again averages 50 miles per day, this is without tides and mountain ranges to add their own degree of time.
Signal fires are a very rapid signal system but unfortunately these only work for one pre known signal Wink
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 09:04:46 PM »

I found this interesting website / article if anyone wants to read up on the speed of messages in the ancient world:-

http://people.seas.harvard.edu/~jones/cscie129/papers/Early_History_of_Data_Networks/Chapter_1.pdf
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 04:11:35 PM »

The persian system was indeed very fast by the use of multiple messengers in stages, Rome however used a single messenger as they found extra information could be cleaned by questioning the person on arrival, this limited the speed to an average of 50 miles a day. When Agrippa's son, Gaius died at Lycia the news of his death took 27 days to reach Rome a total of just over 1300 miles which again averages 50 miles per day, this is without tides and mountain ranges to add their own degree of time.
Signal fires are a very rapid signal system but unfortunately these only work for one pre known signal Wink

The Roman signal stations on Cumbria coast could relay information to Southern England in hours.....but mostly to with raiders or pirates in IIrish  Sea..........

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal