Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Two British Roman Emperors found on todays Rally...  (Read 2645 times)
jtalbot0001

« on: January 26, 2014, 12:23:51 AM »

I saw two Roman coins turn up today, DaMonkey's and Monkeybike's, the one I could Identify straight away was Monkeybikes which was Carausius, and can now see on the picture it was indeed Mintmark C, which makes it this coin,

Carausius AE Antoninianus. Camulodunum mint. IMP C CARAVSIVS P F AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right / PAX AVG, Pax standing left, holding branch and vertical sceptre. S-P across fields. Mintmark C." RIC V-2, 300! Date: 287-293 AD.

The second which I couldn't quite read was DaMonkey's and now can see it is also a British Roman Emperor, Allectus!! This is the Galley type,

Allectus AE Quinarius. Camulodunum mint. IMP C ALLECTVS [P F] (probably since the space between S and AVG is large enough for the two letters PF) AVG, radiate, cuirassed bust right / VIRTVS AVG (probably), galley rowing left (definitely!), QC (definitely) in ex. RIC 128; Sear 13874 and 13877. Date: 293-296 AD.

I might be wrong but this must be one of the few rallies on D.W. or even the first with two British Roman coins found on the same day on the same field so close to one another.

Cheers,
Jon

« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 08:46:51 AM by jtalbot0001 » Logged

THE TALBOT MOTTO: "To sniff out all things old and beautiful." ....... Just because I'm extinct doesn't mean I can't sniff out the hammereds!
DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 08:42:55 AM »

Nice work Jon

Da Monkey
Superhero Member

secret CTX LuVVeeerrrrrr

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 09:25:51 AM »

Cheers Jon Smiley you were the first person to confirm my coin as being what I thought it was in the field Smiley many thanks for that.

It's my first radiate, what surprised me was how thin it was I had always thought they'd be a thicker flan, I guess they were getting short of funds around then...

Another interesting thing is that my emperor was sent to overthrow monkeybike`s emperor and that as you say, they were really found just yards apart  Shocked

And we are both monkey's Shocked Shocked. What are the odds ??   Lol.

Found this wiki link : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allectus
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 09:28:45 AM by Da Monkey » Logged

BOOOOMMMM  BABBBBEEHHHHH!!! I've found even more old tat !!!     Grin Grin
legio11augustus
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 10:51:15 AM »

well done on the identifying,interesting read

non atrocitate non clementia mutabatur
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 03:34:14 PM »

If I was being fussy I managed to post what the coins were 2 hours before John Smiley - but to be fair he did actually nail them down a bit better than my 'allectus / carausisu' post Smiley lol

Allectus wasn't sent to over throw Carausius - he was Carausius' finance minister before he murdered Carausius - I always imagine Carausius saying '' Et tu Allectus' as the knife / poison / whatever took affect.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 03:45:26 PM »

And you still would have been hours late as Handyman told me what had been found half an hour after they were found so the coconut goes to Alan Cheesy
jtalbot0001

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 04:26:53 PM »

Didn't see your post sorry Probono (I cannot access the site properly like everyone else). I actually saw the Allectus coin a minute or two after it was found and the Carausius coin seconds after it was found, I helped confirm it was Carausius there and then actually but didn't see the C mint till I saw the picture, and said to DaMonkey I would help I'd his later on as I couldn't quite see the writing properly at the time hence my post. Shame the Galley side is so worn on his.

THE TALBOT MOTTO: "To sniff out all things old and beautiful." ....... Just because I'm extinct doesn't mean I can't sniff out the hammereds!
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 04:30:30 PM »

I actually saw the coins 20 minutes before they had even been detected Grin

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
Da Monkey
Superhero Member

secret CTX LuVVeeerrrrrr

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 05:19:23 PM »

Well, all I can say is everyone did a truly great job of the ID, all I thought was "that looks like a radiate" and even that I had my doubts about as it was so thin, so all I can say is I'm glad there are folk like all you lot on here otherwise I still wouldn't have known...

I'm extremely grateful for your help and Kudos to all  Smiley

BOOOOMMMM  BABBBBEEHHHHH!!! I've found even more old tat !!!     Grin Grin
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 08:53:43 PM »

I actually saw the coins 20 minutes before they had even been detected Grin

Well I was personal friends with the person who minted the coins - I used to go down the pub with him on his days off Smiley  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin

And it's a wonder that children these days don't believe a word we say (with humble apologies to the Yorkshire sketch)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal