Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Who was/is your mentor when learning to detect  (Read 5722 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 02:33:03 PM »

I had my first machine a Viking when I was about seven [1978] off my Grandfather - god rest his soul - and made a few finds along Ely riverbanks, but could never afford the batteries as money was pretty tight to say the least. So it really hardly got used. I should really revisit Ely river now as its only a ten minute walk and has been used for transport and habitation for 2000 years!

Then much later in life, we had always been involved in the "Antiques game" and from a few house clearances picked up some nice silver coins and started buying artefacts from a retired Archaeologist [And they say they never keep anything - the guy [RIP] had a wealth of finds from all over the world!] So, I figured after he moved on I would try and find them for myself and bought an Exterra 30 and joined SCAN club where to be honest the first few meetings I was a bit of an outcast, but sat by James, Adie, Dave and a few others who were more similar to my age and mentality. Got on with them fine and then had a chat to Jaydogg and Mark who quickly became my detecting buddies and two real good friends of mine. That was it we would be out every week. I remember finding my first hammered (Henry III) on clubland with them and there was no turning back. I wasn't even sure it was a hammered coin at the time!

I still regularly go out with Jaydogg and Mark and that will always continue I would like to think, but I have also had days out with Geoff(Admin), James, Dave, Casa Dos, Rob and Borderfox. I owe Borderfox a great deal of thanks for reporogramming my Explorer II and teaching me patience! It does have its rewards!

Made some good friends along the way and the days with Jaydogg and Mark are always eventfull and a bloody good laugh! As a rule at least one of us will find an item that makes the day worthwhile between us.

Cheers
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 02:53:17 PM »

I picked up usage of the Whites by making a lot of mistakes and correcting them along the way. Detecting Wales allowed me to meet Dickle, he helped me a lot with the loan of a couple of books, but as for technique, I started learning , the day i partnered up wit Gadget Ian. We bounce off each other, and I learnt the importance of slowing way right down. And the importance of a sarnie and a nice cup of coffee!

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
waltonbasinman
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 02:59:07 PM »

Good point Rob. A drink and a sarnie are very important.
Stig(The)
Superhero Member

X-Terra 70 user.

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2009, 03:54:41 PM »

Me & Digga try & get out as often as poss,not easy tho,juggling family life & work.
As we are both newish to the hobby we tend to learn from each others mistakes & are sponges for knowledge gleaned from more experienced detectorists.

The challenge of history is to recover the past and introduce it to the present.
DIGGA

MINELAB EXPLORER XS USER

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2009, 04:35:31 PM »

TRUE STIG  WE DO LEARN FROM THE MORE ADVANCED  DETECTORISTS   SPECIALLY THE INFO WE ARE GIVEN ON THIS SITE ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I DONT KNOW ABOUT A SPONGE THO  NEVER  REALLY SEEN MYSELF AS A CAKE,, Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy     ALLTHOUGH  YOU DO REMIND ME OF A  SPONGE,,,  BOB   WAAAAAAAA   

dont dig deep if ya aint heard the beep
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2009, 05:35:47 PM »

did someone mention A DRINK AND A SARNIE Grin Grin Grin
vitallius (Dave)

"The only way to have a friend is to be one."

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2009, 07:04:17 PM »

I thank my uncle, when I was a young lad he said I should have a hobby ,he  was very keen on history and help me build my very own detector back in the days you needed a wireless licence........ It all progressed from there, however  Im still gaining knowledge from other detectorists but rightly said earlier not matter how good the machine and all that technology you gotta have some good sites to go to...... Grin Grin
hedgehog
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2009, 02:47:21 PM »

Some great stories there guys, nice to read , hope some more post up  Cool
ROMAN STEVE
Superhero Member

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 06:21:49 PM »

started when i was 13yrs old i am now 45yrs old
i had a cheap little plastic detector to start with
and had better ones over the yrs and i am still learning
every day  Smiley

viking

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2009, 09:29:05 PM »

my friend started me off detecting been doing it for 2 years only wish i started a lot earlier Roll Eyes

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal