Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: garret ace 150 for starting off?  (Read 4782 times)
darrrren
Rally attendee

« on: December 15, 2013, 02:10:30 PM »

Did a bit of reading on the net and decided to order myself one of these to start off, i wanted somthing thatll do the job but not too much incase i dont get hooked on it. Just wondering if people think this was a decent choice and how they perform? Most of my searching will be in fields and maybe the odd beach now and then. Thanks.
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 02:18:29 PM »

the garrett 250 for a bit more money would be better choice and easy to sell on if you don't like the hobby the 150 and 250  will do the job inland but not on wet sand only dry sand at the top of the beach , good luck and welcome to DW  mate  Smiley

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
darrrren
Rally attendee

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 02:21:32 PM »

thanks for the reply,unfortunatly the 150 will have to do for now but its good to know itll find things. ive heard slow and all metal mode with the garrets, to dig everything, is that about right?
Garrettace150
NWDD Member

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 02:56:02 PM »

nothing wrong with the garrett 150, I`ve been detecting with one since may and its found me all kinds of stuff, Set it to all metal mode and dig all the ringing signals. Once your confident with that look out for fainter signals that turn into ringing signals once the hole is opened. Stay away from wet sand you`ll get constant false signals but dry sands ok.

Good luck you`ll be hooked soon.  Grin

Where are you from ?

N.W.D.D
darrrren
Rally attendee

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 03:12:05 PM »

im from pontypool but i live in bristol with my girlfriend, and im working away in the week so im from all over at the moment lol. so they give different signals for different things? im guessing ill notice all this for myself when it arrives and i take it out.
legio11augustus
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 03:48:09 PM »

ye best way darren, is to discrim 1-2 blocks out,then dig every signal until you get used to the sounds and what you are finding..then the more familiar you are the easier you will find it..im sure you will love the hobby.if you have trouble getting permission sign yourself up to a rally ,theres plenty of people who will offer advice and tips ...dont forget to follow the metal detectors code of conduct ...happy hunting

non atrocitate non clementia mutabatur
darrrren
Rally attendee

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 05:12:20 PM »

to be honest i cant wait for it to arrive. I used a type of detector called a "valon" with work back last year, very complicated to set up although i had instruction to do it,and i did find big lumps of metal my workplace had planted in the ground as part of my training,although i hope to find more exciting things than fake i.e.d's. Ill probably get myself to a few rallies somtime soon. Got 2 weeks off for christmas as of next friday so ill be getting out and about alot with it. What do you mean by "two blocks out" by the way? im guessing this is a setting on the machine? thanks agasin.
legio11augustus
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 12:38:05 PM »

yes theres a discrimination setting, so you can discriminate by deleting a block out so the machine wont detect iron ,just practise with it ,theres a few guys on here who have same detector who will help...

non atrocitate non clementia mutabatur
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 01:36:23 PM »

I bought one for my boy and it has found quite a few things when I tried it in my garden.

It does the job much better than those toys you can buy in Maplins
darrrren
Rally attendee

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 05:01:25 PM »

Am I right in thinking I need the sensitivity on the maximum setting aswell starting off?cheers guys for the help.
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 07:12:08 PM »

Am I right in thinking I need the sensitivity on the maximum setting aswell starting off?cheers guys for the help.

ground mineralization will affect the sensitivity a lot mate ( as with all machines ), if you set it to high over highly mineralised ground the machine will chatter and give false type tones , set at max then turn down slowly till the machine settles down  , adjust sense to suit ground conditions as you move around the land , conditions can vary greatly in the same field , so keep adjusting when needed  Smiley

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
darrrren
Rally attendee

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 05:50:53 PM »

so if the machine starts going wild just knock the sensitivity down a bit? ive looked at an online video setting up the garret and it recommends sensitivity 3 as its standard setting, 4 being the maximum,

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal