Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold quater stater VS Deus  (Read 7993 times)
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« on: December 18, 2013, 10:12:09 PM »

Hi all,

Over the Christmas myself and Joross are going to do a little test using a Dobunni gold quarter stater buried in the ground from one inch and so on, we will use different settings/programs.....If anyone wants us to try there settings just post them up, and we will give you the results, it may be information gained for both?
We hear a lot about " I don't dig anything under this under that " so we thought we would do a little test on a coin we would all love to find.
Il also run the Tejon over just to see how it compares.

any other thoughts what we can do on our test would be helpful.

Results will be given  just after Christmas. 
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 10:18:31 PM »

I did this test myself and the 12KHz frequency was deepest.

TX at 3 didn't make any discernible difference. Better just putting up the sensitivity and making sure it's ground balanced efficiently.

Certainly teaches you about your machine.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 11:07:09 PM by rjm » Logged

Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 10:22:19 PM »

Cheers for your input rjm it all helps Wink I posted early as I want to get a few ideas first
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 05:52:44 AM »

It sounds as if this could be an interesting and fun thread, one item you might try with the Deus is a small Roman T-brooch, these generally give an awful signal on any machine for there size/mass and I know that Deadlock found one at a rally a few months back and when in the soil Da monkey couldn't get a reading on the Deus, this I believe was at only 5". Wink
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 11:38:34 AM »

Don't forget to try it on edge too - and there's also the difference between 'pasture' and ploughed - a friend of mine dug a hole and then cut a little gallery in the side of this, in which he put the test coin - this meant that at least quite a lot of the soil about the coin was compacted. That certainly made a difference to detection depth.

Of course there's also the issue of the 'halo' effect - when coins have been in ground for some time they appear bigger because some of the metal ions leach into the surrounding soil (the green patch around bronzes for instance). It's harder to test for that in this kind of experiment - but your test is of course harder.
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 11:42:37 AM »

Shocked A quarter stater on edge Huh You don't want much do you lol
nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 11:55:54 AM »

I don't think you get the halo effect with gold.... Like probono said try it at different angles in the ground.... Think you ll loose it when it's vertical... Let us know

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 12:41:11 PM »

Be interesting experiment

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 01:54:50 PM »

I don't think you get the halo effect with gold.... Like probono said try it at different angles in the ground.... Think you ll loose it when it's vertical... Let us know

As far as I'm aware there's no evidence to prove that a "halo effect" even exists Huh
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 02:57:12 PM »

As far as I'm aware there's no evidence to prove that a "halo effect" even exists Huh

Just a thought (as I'm thinking on my feet - well actually sitting down at the mo) - you need something to be able to conduct electricity to detect it with a metal detector (that's why semi-conductor materials like Galena are detected too) - so much like a salt solution will conduct electricity, if the corrosion products are at all water soluble and leach into the surrounding soil then the object should appear a bit bigger (especially when the ground is moist).

I've often noticed around a coin a darker area of soil, which (most of the time) must come from some interaction between the coin and the corrosion products.

As to the gold 1/4 stater, unless it is pure gold there will be impurities (like copper and silver) which could cause a 'halo' effect if it exists...

...but I admit that I've got no concrete evidence - just trying to think of reasons why it might happen....
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 06:29:36 PM »

Ok Geoff I will also try a T-brooch in the test.
The test will be done on short pasture so the coil will be flat to the ground, il take the plug out at the right depth so the ground will be pretty much intact.
The coin being used is a Vale of Pewsey quarter so it is base but mainly gold, the weight is light @ 0.9g so putting the coin on its side will be hard to pick up....I will take a photo of the coin sat on the coil to show the size.
liner

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 07:00:28 PM »

If I am out detecting in your back garden Dale and I come across your test bed you know dads claiming them all as his .........UM  how does it go .....oh yes finders keepers
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 07:11:32 PM »

If I am out detecting in your back garden Dale and I come across your test bed you know dads claiming them all as his .........UM  how does it go .....oh yes finders keepers

Sorry they are out of your depth Shocked !! OUCH  Cheesy Wink
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 08:25:32 PM »

Wink Wink ;)great banter you guys Wink Wink Wink
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 09:27:10 PM »

You tell him Dale Grin

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal