Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Has metal detecting become too popular?  (Read 8350 times)
Hoard Dredger
Rally attendee

« on: December 18, 2013, 02:05:58 AM »

Ok Been Blackpool recently, There was 9 detectorists on there,
Rhyl two weeks ago 7 detectorists on there,

Has this hobby become to popular?  " Your Thought's Please"
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 09:43:19 AM by Neil » Logged
Richie sixpence

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 05:56:39 AM »

Is anything being found though?   Smiley

All the best Richie sixpence Wink

"All that glitters is not gold" but hopefully!!!
Garrett AT Pro
C Scope CS4pi
Garrett Ace 150
Garrett Pro Pointer
And hopefully a lot of good luck
Member of, NCMD
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 07:45:53 AM »

the beaches are big enough. plenty of room for everyone.

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 08:04:37 AM »

It's not even close to being as popular as it was in the late 70's early 80's, the internet gives a false impression of it's popularity but it doesn't take too long to realise that if you belong to several forums your talking to the same 500-1000 individuals. Beaches can be misleading as they not only attract those who are hardened beach detectorists but it's the usual and obvious place for newbies to go before they have any inland permissions and the more popular the beach, the higher the concentration of detectors.
It's a sobering fact that for every 10 people that come in to the hobby only 2 will still be in it after 12 months Wink
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 08:20:54 AM by Chef Geoff » Logged
carling2

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 01:26:16 PM »

im struggling to carry on after almost 8 years,so I must be hard core Grin,defo spent less time detecting this year than any other and now with the end of the year coming up its a good time to think of other things,no regrets though its been fun  h.h all.
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 01:46:41 PM »

Has this hobby become to popular?  " Your Thought's Please"
I agree with the comments already made Wink also think of all the time you drive around to different places !! and just how often do you see detectorist's in fields Huh we live in a big country plenty of room, I very rarely see anyone, In fact I think I am the only one who does Wiltshire Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 03:12:55 PM »

We have up to 80 plus detectorists on my small island (33miles by 12miles) and beaches are still producing after nearly 40yrs ...No hobby can not get to popular,as i get abit of green eye on  the amazing finds the newcomers make. BUT.....I would miss handling a rare object that would add a new chapter to our wonderful history.....000
HAMMERRHOID

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 03:28:28 PM »

I agree with the comments already made Wink also think of all the time you drive around to different places !! and just how often do you see detectorist's in fields Huh we live in a big country plenty of room, I very rarely see anyone, In fact I think I am the only one who does Wiltshire Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
There are three of us has me HAMMERRHOID and my son Cut/half live and detect in Wiltshire when we are not detecting with DetectingWales . But it is true what you say you rarely see anyone detecting when you are travelling about (except if you happen to pass by a DetectingWales dig on a Sunday) Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

You can kill a Sheep once , BUT YOU COULD SHEAR IT EVERYDAY
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 05:48:50 PM »

I have only ever seen two single people detecting and had one other pair ask me if they could join me in a field in all my time swinging the coil. For a few years I was out several times a week, and apart from jaydogg and mark ( my detecting buddies) we never saw a soul.

As Spikey said its a big old country. We are definitely in the minority! Personally I still have never met anyone socially who I consider a detectorist, but lots of people who have a detector in their attic or shed gathering dust.

Interesting debate

Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
150aceboy
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 05:58:01 PM »

The more the better i say, as been said there's plenty of room, and the more popular detecting becomes, perhaps the prices will come down on detectors etc .
The Ferret

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 06:00:13 PM »

It's not even close to being as popular as it was in the late 70's early 80's, the internet gives a false impression of it's popularity but it doesn't take too long to realise that if you belong to several forums your talking to the same 500-1000 individuals. Beaches can be misleading as they not only attract those who are hardened beach detectorists but it's the usual and obvious place for newbies to go before they have any inland permissions and the more popular the beach, the higher the concentration of detectors.

It's a sobering fact that for every 10 people that come in to the hobby only 2 will still be in it after 12 months Wink

Thats a shame Sad

dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 06:58:17 PM »

ow get off my beaches lol

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 02:34:14 PM »

ow get off my beaches lol

Didnt Winston Churchill say fight them on the beaches.......does that apply to detectorists now / Grin
galoshers

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 03:33:02 PM »

traveling round the country by car and train and passing gazillions of fields that have never  seen a searcher ,most (99 % ?) fields will never be done  till hell freezes over.
despite the numbers of owners of machines.
there must 1000s of stonking hoards still buried .
carling2

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 07:10:20 PM »

sorry I really don't believe in this 1000s of hoard theorys,,if we take the whole of the u.k and factor in how much land has been built on,{urban sprawl,housing,airports,shopping centres etc etc} yes there could be a few hoards buried underneath a housing estate or 2,,then consider that much of the landscape we see today wasn't even accesable 2000 years ago,{waterways,floodplains,dense woodland etc} then throw in another factor that a lot  of the land we see today hasn't seen a living soul before the 1700s with great swathes of the country virtually unwalked on by anybody in the history of mankind,,another factor is there was probably more  hoards found in the 18,19th c mostly due to to people moving massive amounts of earth { building canals, railways etc}.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal