Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Spitting Feathers  (Read 6290 times)
carling2

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 10:28:17 AM »

I would save getting worked up about a site you may not be able to get on and spend the time doing a little research 1st,, is it floodplain , you've already mentioned docking station and river ,,it its floodplain then you know straight away finds are going to be thin on the ground and the ground may not be worth bothering about? ,, I think most of us have come across a castle,fort,settlement etc site and for whatever reason it seems like paul daniels has done a majic act on the land and all the finds have disappeared. Wink
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 10:31:29 AM by carling2 » Logged
ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 02:25:50 PM »

Was on a floodplain below a castle yesterday, 'ziltch'... "Such a fab looking location as well". You just can't tell.
Either its been done to death or, because the water levels in those days were higher, nobody walked or worked the land.

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
ancientpat

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 03:30:30 PM »

I was interested to read about fields on floodplains, over recent years I have managed to get on farms by the direct approach, face to face, and two of them had large fields bordering the River Avon and I mean large!
In the one case the farmer said that he was going to plough for the first time in nearly fifty years so after rolling it like a billiard table I thought my luck was in, well you can guess what I am going to say, it was completely devoid of signals except large iron. The other farm field was almost the same except that I gave it  another go two months ago and at the furthest point from the river next to the field on higher ground I found what the museum described as a possible Ist century bracelet fragment similar in style to a  Roman Ausicca brooch. So maybe there is hope for some parts of these fields. !!!  It actually looks like a pipe clamp.

Pat.
carling2

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 05:24:12 PM »

I think with floodplains you have to look at how much local traffic there may have been , more traffic =more finds here is my ausicca broach find from a floodplain earlier this year.

* SNV30920.JPG (126.03 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 355 times.)
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2013, 07:45:08 PM »

Well I'm certainly NOT getting my knickers in a twist over getting a No. Just very disappointing as the fields are potentially good.  As you can see from pici. I've marked them X and Y denoting the two owners. Only 2 of the X fields can flood and none of the Y's.
I have been told some of them have been detected over the years so I s'pose that narrows down the finds but given the position of the Castle and the fact that most of Y's fields are higher I assumed they would have been suited for opposing Armies to camp. The Castle has been under siege and involved in the Civil War.
There are plenty of other fields to have a few pleasant hours in and if I can talk myself into going a bit further and tackling one of my other Farmer contacts I could probably get onto some fields close to where Time Team did a dig a couple of years ago. I heard on the grape-vine that he and his Brother have bought yet another farm close by.
Enjoy the pici. and dream on.
Val

* Castle Point.jpg (159.09 KB, 800x467 - viewed 674 times.)

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
carling2

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2013, 07:53:25 PM »

hi val I didn't mean to hijack your thread , just thought I would throw some  alternative light on the subject , I know how hard it is to get land and anything we get is a priviledge ,so I wish you well in getting the land and the finds appear for you , as to the map I can see no x or y  but that central block of fields must surely be a good area close to river , high ground and any obvious route from a to b must surely lie across this patch ,, I wish you well.
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2013, 08:13:47 PM »

nice cricket pitch in that pic Val.   Grin Grin i played there a long long time ago, scored 3!

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2013, 08:18:23 PM »

BBBBBBB   Computor. You'd think I could find my way round it by now.  Do you have any idea how long I spent faffing around with that pici.  I downed the pixles I cropped it I remembered to take out roads and places on Google and the......................picked up the wrong one to post. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I'm not really bothered though. I know the feelings of the owners so if anyone else wants to try, best of luck.

Y farm, Mother says Father says he'd rather not start that sort of thing as it will encourage others and they're too busy. Huh !!

Val

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2013, 08:37:36 PM »

He who knows everything has just explained what I did wrong (Who me ?)

For anyone who's interested, I'll try again.

Val

* Castle Point.jpg (159.09 KB, 800x467 - viewed 602 times.)

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2013, 08:39:24 PM »

O.K. I give up.  It don't work.  Sorry to take up the space, I'll go back to sleep now.

Da Monkey
Superhero Member

secret CTX LuVVeeerrrrrr

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2013, 08:42:00 PM »

Read your Tagline Wink  Grin

BOOOOMMMM  BABBBBEEHHHHH!!! I've found even more old tat !!!     Grin Grin
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2013, 08:46:46 PM »

Da Monkey yes your right   spit spit spit spit   Grin

dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2013, 10:36:17 PM »

turn up on your horse and find the guy to speak to.play the sympathy card and tell them you cant get any land Wink

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2013, 11:03:42 PM »

Poor old bugger is nearly ready to be poor old burgers. He wouldn't make it that far. Anyway it's a well known fact that most Farmers hate horses. Come to think about it I don't think I'd make it that far now. Shocked Roll Eyes

Lost cause Mike. The fields, and me. Just another one for experience. Onwards and Upwards eh.

Val

dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2013, 11:05:36 PM »

come to tenby with me an marky troutmaster when time is right ,balls to trashy fields ,plenty old gold poppin up soon val

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal