Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Spitting Feathers  (Read 6309 times)
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« on: November 04, 2013, 03:56:08 PM »

What's worse than a never present Farmer...................His always present obnoxious Wife.

I phoned and visited the Farm early spring and was told by No.1 Son they didn't really like detectorists because they put a lot of work into their fields but come back in the Autumn as there were some fields being ploughed and re-seeded. Plus he didn't see me as much of a threat  Roll Eyes
Saturday I noticed the fields I really wanted to get into had been harvested and were standing waiting to be detected. Now these fields are about as close to  a Castle as you can get. Storm and power cut that night so I phoned Sunday and got HER again and got the same response, I'll have to have a word with me Husband and get back to you in a few days !!!!! Angry
Now I have to give her 'a few days' before I go looking for the never present Farmer Hubby or she'll scuttle the boat before it sails.  I feel SOOOOOOO  frustrated.

Val 

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Svaipa

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 10:53:39 AM »

Can just imagine your frustation Val  Sad Probably best to just drop by and see if you can catch the man himself. Good luck x
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 02:52:25 PM »

My feeling Val is that they dont want detectorists on the land and she is trying to save your feelings..I might be wrong and i hope iam ...But there is plenty more farmland out there ,with more easy going landowners ..Good luck Rob  Smiley
ctx3030

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 03:01:26 PM »

never phone, go in person, thought you would know that by now,Val.
Dungbeetle
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 03:08:33 PM »

Read " The female of the species " by Kipling, it should explain it all. Sorry to be sexist but I couldn't resist it Val.
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 05:02:22 PM »

just go for it Val. Make that call and see what transpires, that way you will know for sure what the position is! ...

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 05:06:40 PM »

Yes,  I know, I know. But you see, Ah well.  These could be very special fields being so close to the Castle and the river. One field even had it's own docking point.
I think you're right in your assumptions Rob. It's just so annoying that I've waited since March. If I'd known she was going to answer I would have called in. I might still do that anyway. Praps she'll change her mind if she sees me.   (no rude answers to that idea please) It would just be sooooo nice to get onto some land with real promise.

Val

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 05:09:46 PM »

She's just like the receptionist at the Docs.  Vary hard to convince that you need to see the Doc. Grin

Val

Spooyt Vane
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 04:58:55 PM »

Play the waiting game Val ,i have got on to a good site after 30yrs of trying ...The grandson is more open to the hobby of metal detecting and has taken over the reins of the farm.......We have a celtic term for some really awkward landowners.......Crooked as Sin we say and it does not mean criminal........ Cool
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 07:08:13 PM »

Funny you should say that Rob. When I called into the farm in the Spring I saw one of the Sons and he seemed more open to detecting. It was him who suggested I called back in the Autumn. They plough the pasture fields on a cycle of 4 years so each year there's somewhere I could go. One thing's for sure I can't wait 30 years, I'm 68 now. Shocked Grin

I popped in this morning but there was no sign of anything with 2 legs. What's so annoying is where the fields are. They're a  long way from the farm and not overlooked. It would be possible to go in 2 of them and no one would be any the wiser. I know I wouldn't enjoy it though. Couldn't stand the stress of looking over my shoulder all the time.

Val

cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 11:19:19 AM »

Just a thought Val. Would it not be easier to get on the farm next door. If so, at some stage you could call back to the Castle Farm with some nice bits that you are prepared to sacrifice. You could say that you are sorry, but you had been in one of their fields by mistake as you thought it belonged to the other farmer. Then offer them the bits you are sacrificing. I have never done this before but know of detectorists who have done so, and it has worked.

If you were to try this ruse Val make sure you say to the other farmer "is so and so field yours" When he says no then say you have been in the wrong field and will need to see the farmer. That way it will not come as a surprise to him if it gets back. You may also have to bide your time because you still have to get past the wife. If you know what the farmer looks like you will be best to get at him when there is work being done on the farm and in the fields.

Good luck Val. You deserve to get this farm.

Hammered                 5         
Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
Disc brooches             2
Med. silver annular brooch
welsh john

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 04:23:08 PM »

Just a thought if any farmers use this site and read this post it makes us all look a bit shady. Embarrassed

Minelab Explorer SE.
Sef 8x6 coil,Platapus coil,10"stock coil.
Garrett pro pointer.
Finds,
Queen Ann trade weight.
Bronze Axe Head.
Roman partifact.
1350 Bronze Token.
William lll Sixpence.
George lll Shilling.
Victoria Shilling.
Silver......80g.
Gold.........0g.
Scrap
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 05:34:37 PM »

Hey Hey John,  only Shades of Grey in my house. Grin Grin Grin Grin Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Cardiffian, I went to the owner of the fields next door first. She said no as well. I don't care, something will turn up one of these days.

Val

ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2013, 10:25:37 PM »

Packed lunch and a pair of binoculars.
Whe you see (male) movement, close in.
 Wink

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2013, 11:12:48 PM »

Might be a good plan Mike if I didn't have to drive 12 miles first.

Funny you should say that though because that's what I did from my kitchen when I said I'd been cow watching. Made sure they'd been gone for a few days and then struck. I wished I hadn't bothered. I could have found more in my field. Ah well, you don't know till you try, do you. If any one ever wants a field with nothing but iron in it, give me a shout. I seem to have an uncanny knack of finding them.

Val

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal