Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pastures new with Jaydogg and Julia Domna . . .  (Read 9418 times)
outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 07:27:49 PM »

Great finds on a day out Grin
cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 06:38:53 AM »

Some lovely finds and you deserved something good being out of it so long. I have had to pack in on a few occasions (once with a broken wrist) and it drives you crazy). It is obviously in your blood. Well done.

Hammered                 5         
Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
Disc brooches             2
Med. silver annular brooch
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 09:34:24 AM »

I have hardly been detecting in the past 13 months due to a series of bone injuries, and came close to giving up detecting a few months ago as I was so fed up with the leg and couldn't see it ever really improving. Glad I didn't take that rash decision.

Anyway my latest fracture is now thankfully on the mend, and I jumped at the chance to meet up with my oldest detecting partner and good mate Jaydogg for a trip to a farm he has permission for in deepest darkest Gwent for a days detecting.

On arrival we have a mixture of stubble, crop (which the farmer was happy for us to go on) and pasture to play with. As a side note this is one of the nicest farmers I have ever met, and he likes Jaydogg so much he has now given him sole detecting rights to the farm.

First find of the day fell to myself in the shape of a tiny silver band - which must only fit a child. This was closely followed by more silver in the stem of a foreign silver spoon. Realising the break was pretty new - I searched in circles around the find hole and about 5 foot away I found the matching bowl. Gutted the plough had clearly just got to it before I did. There's always something bitter sweet with damaged detecting finds!

Next up came the first of five Romans for the day that was a bit nibbled, but began to set the theme. Shortly after this I found what I believe to be half a ring and certainly has an age - my gut says late Roman.

Soon my faith and passion for detecting was to be reignited, as at only three inches down out popped the beautiful Juila Domna, blinking at her first sight of daylight in the best part of 1900 years. To say I was over the moon would be an understatement as this was only my fifth denarii to date!

I have been researching the coin and I am struggling on the reverse - any help from our resident Roman experts Doc, Alan, Probono, Cheffy or anyone else would be greatly appreciated.

Not long after we left the stubble and headed to pastures new where Jaydogg pulled out the most unusual Love Token in the shape of a silver coin of Louis 14th dating to 1712. A cracker to add to his bulging Love Token collection.

Not long after this Jaydogg also found a Medieval brooch - that's needs a bit of TLC to clean it up. Love it though and it still has an intact pin making it all the more special.

That was about it as dusk was drawing in around us and Jaydogg had an appointment with The Cult that was not to be missed.

Big thanks for the invite out mate - my "Detecting Faith" has now been fully restored.

Cheers
Neil

Great come back story Neil, good on you to Jaydog, keep it up guys Wink Smiley
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2013, 11:23:55 AM »

Nice finds - especially on having a denarius on a trip out!

It's also good (for me) to put a face to the name Smiley
Napoleon
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2013, 11:44:15 AM »

Welldone Neil nice to see you back detecting and wow some stunning finds here  Grin bonne chance mon ami. Nap.
beachboy (viv)

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2013, 11:53:44 AM »

hi neil,sorry to hear about your injury didn't know,but great news to hear you back,will be looking forward to seeing you on the next rally,just look after yourself,all the best.viv

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal