Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mudlarking  (Read 16605 times)
MuckMan
Rally attendee

« on: October 08, 2013, 03:41:49 PM »

After unsuccessfully trying to find an old victorian bottle dump in Penarth, I went down to the foreshore to do a spot of eyes only mudlarking  Smiley

An old bottle neck with the cork still in, about 1850 ish I think Huh

There was a good few pipe stems, in the mud

A pipe bowl found on the surface  Grin

My jack Russell loved the mud Shocked

It was mucky but good  Cheesy and I got a few pipes bowls and stems. The only downside was I had to bath my dog when I got home  Tongue

If anyone knows of any other good places to go mudlarking or dump digging let me know please, thanks  Wink
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 03:48:52 PM by MuckMan » Logged
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 06:04:17 PM »

Well done Muck Man. sounds interesting.

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 08:41:36 AM »

Well done on the pipe bowls and bottle. When you say the foreshore do you mean the area with pier - obviously when the tide is out? I've detected there with very little success.

Cheers
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 11:03:29 AM »

I have been on Thames with Steve Booker and the lads of the Thames Mudlarkers and nothing outstanding found..But i was amazed by the number of tudor and medieval shoes lost on the crossing points and the number of medieval pins (thousands)...Also coins,tokens,pipe bowls,Berlamine jugs,toys and jewellery...Really enjoyed it with mudlarkers and they sorted out the licences Smiley
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 11:41:29 AM »

Should love to have a go on the Thames mud larking .nice finds muckman. Wink
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 03:59:07 PM »

Nice - it's a bit different Smiley

I know the mud at Penarth quite well - it's where I went on my first date with my missus and she still hasn't forgiven me for ruining her shoes!
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 06:53:54 PM »

Now thats what I call a dirty weekend Grin

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
MuckMan
Rally attendee

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 03:57:44 PM »

I'd love to have a go at mudlarking on the Thames, I watched the mudmen series when it was on and was amazed by what they found  Smiley. It's on my bucket list of things to  Grin

Did anyone ever detect the foreshore in Cardiff before they built the barrage? I bet there was loads of stuff to be found there. I've been looking on google earth and have found a few more spots to try down Newport way and maybe a trip over to Bristol could be productive  Wink
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 04:31:37 PM »

I'd love to have a go at mudlarking on the Thames, I watched the mudmen series when it was on and was amazed by what they found  Smiley. It's on my bucket list of things to  Grin

Did anyone ever detect the foreshore in Cardiff before they built the barrage? I bet there was loads of stuff to be found there. I've been looking on google earth and have found a few more spots to try down Newport way and maybe a trip over to Bristol could be productive  Wink

if you intend venturing onto the mud flats in the Cardiff/ Newport / Bristol areas be very very carefull , I fished these venues for years and they are extremely dangerous with deep mud that could trap you and swift incoming tides that could cut off your retreat to safety so take great care when down there mate , lives have been lost  Sad Sad

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
MuckMan
Rally attendee

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 07:35:18 PM »

Thanks Mike, I'll be careful mate  Wink I used to do a lot of fishing and know what you mean about the tides and mud. When I fished down newport way for dover sole the tide would come in well fast and because the water was chocolate colour you couldn't see where the edge of the peat/mud ledges were. So we used to mark the edges with sticks so we wouldn't fall in, we always had to keep an eye on the gullies behind us too as these would fill up fast and can be deep  Shocked
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 10:32:39 AM »

As a child (with my parents) - I used to go to Rhymney Great Wharf along towards Newport - there are a lot of roman ditches running into the sea there and we used to come home with bags of roman pottery. we even found earlier material in the peat levels - Antlers and the like.

I went a few years ago after the barage had been built and they have shored up the mud cliffs with rocks - it just seemed covered in rubbish nowadays sadly.

Just agreeing with Mike - the mudflats are very dangerous - I'd certainly not recommend going there by yourself.
legio11augustus
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 12:35:53 PM »

down the moors at the back of caldicot running down to undy and magor,is quite a bit of history,the great late ,Derek upton found an ancient trackway across the mud flats,also prehistoric complete  skeleton of a type of cow(wich was in newport museum)he used to come back with handfulls of clay pipes ,pop bottles with the little marble in etc......and further down at magor were they built a water plant they unearthed viking burials....but as everyone has said on here,mud can be treacherous,can easily get bogged down in it ..always take a fully charged mobile phone with you is my advice,mind you as kids we used to go down there mud ski-ing to the horror of our mothers when we got home  Grin

non atrocitate non clementia mutabatur
Svaipa

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 08:22:19 AM »

....and further down at magor were they built a water plant they unearthed viking burials....

never heard about this. Do you know where I could find information about these burials ?
legio11augustus
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 05:40:09 PM »

well if you maybe searched internet or ,maybe old newspaper cuttings .whilst building the waterworks at whitewall,magor down by the seawall .they found viking burials ,and the viking body they found was so tall they had to cut his legs to get him into coffin.

non atrocitate non clementia mutabatur
Svaipa

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 06:32:43 PM »

Cheers, will try google these sites.  Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal