Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Not As Daft As It Sounds!  (Read 5414 times)
Spooyt Vane
« on: October 05, 2013, 12:55:38 PM »

I know that dogs can be trained to smell out drugs,explosives,weapons and even cancer with a sense of thats 10,000s more sensitive than humans...Silver is very distinct in smell when cleaning and i woinder if a dog trained to look for areas of silver on beaches...The one thing i learnt on beaches after storms had lowered the height.,Was that gold ,silver and bronze came out of black sand and on edge of gullies..With a limited time to find the glory patches..Every time we came down to the beach in the winter ,the landscape of the beach was different and good sniffer dog that can locate silver would be usefull...i am getting lazy as my grandson is no longer interested in digging my holes. Smiley Smiley..
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 01:05:11 PM »

No I agree, not as daft as it sounds. They use dogs and pigs to sniff out truffles that are underground umm?
I bet it's possible and as you say the dog can dig it up too....I like your thinking lol Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 02:04:37 PM »

My Schnauzer can sniff out anything disgusting from half a mile. Any ideas how to train him to think silver and gold are edible.
In the right hands I think it might work. One down side. He doesn't dig.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Goldpanner

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 03:17:11 PM »

No I agree, not as daft as it sounds. They use dogs and pigs to sniff out truffles that are underground umm?
I bet it's possible and as you say the dog can dig it up too....I like your thinking lol Wink

Yes, it is as daft as it sounds. Silver and gold are inanimate objects that have no intrinsic odour of their own.
Odour can be induced by cleaning but that is a by product of the chemicals used and not of the material being cleaned.
On their own neither gold or silver can be detected by any odour.

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 03:46:17 PM »

Of course metal has a natural odour Huh Roll Eyes Go smell some rust lol. Whether difference metals have there own individual scent is another thing so we may not be able to get a "discriminating" pooch and dogs not only have a far more developed sense of smell than humans but they can smell individual components of a scent.
If you ask Taff if something is silver, he'll smell it and give you a pretty good answer.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 03:49:56 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
Goldpanner

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 04:56:16 PM »

Of course metal has a natural odour Huh Roll Eyes Go smell some rust lol.
Thats a by product of the metal not the metal.

Whether difference metals have there own individual scent is another thing so we may not be able to get a "discriminating" pooch and dogs not only have a far more developed sense of smell than humans but they can smell individual components of a scent.
But neither gold or silver give off any free atoms that could be called odour or scent. so have no individual components that could be released.
Believe me, its been tried before.
Oxidising silver may, and I say may, give off a small odour but on a beach, that would be totally negated by the smell of the sand and decaying vegetable materials around.
Gold does not oxidise and does not give off any scent or reactant free radicals.
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 05:22:55 PM »

Masked by the sand Huh I can see you have never worked with drug or explosives dogs, you can try and mask smells to your hearts content but they will find it Undecided
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 05:46:41 PM »

Yes, it is as daft as it sounds. Silver and gold are inanimate objects that have no intrinsic odour of their own.
Odour can be induced by cleaning but that is a by product of the chemicals used and not of the material being cleaned.
On their own neither gold or silver can be detected by any odour.

well if you need a dog to find silver your obviously not using your detector properly  Roll Eyes Wink Cheesy

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
carling2

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 05:48:38 PM »

using dogs to sniff out silver and gold ?  I think you lot been sniffing something Grin
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 05:51:22 PM »

well if you need a dog to find silver your obviously not using your detector properly  Roll Eyes Wink Cheesy
I might get myself a Pointer Wink
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 05:55:04 PM »

I might get myself a Pointer Wink

classic  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 06:10:44 PM »

Of course metal has a natural odour Huh Roll Eyes Go smell some rust lol.
Thats a by product of the metal not the metal.

Whether difference metals have there own individual scent is another thing so we may not be able to get a "discriminating" pooch and dogs not only have a far more developed sense of smell than humans but they can smell individual components of a scent.
But neither gold or silver give off any free atoms that could be called odour or scent. so have no individual components that could be released.
Believe me, its been tried before.
Oxidising silver may, and I say may, give off a small odour but on a beach, that would be totally negated by the smell of the sand and decaying vegetable materials around.
Gold does not oxidise and does not give off any scent or reactant free radicals.

Lets see if a bloodhound will only smell sand and decaying vegetable materials....more like the person what walked the beach the day before, I watched a program on this dog.
Christoph1945
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2013, 06:43:39 PM »

I have seen dogs used to sniff out drugs, explosives and ( wait for it ) money! Paper money, that is.   Shocked
Bling (mark)

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2013, 07:04:16 PM »

There was once a program on tv with dogs finding mines and unexploded ordnance at depths of around 2 meters i think the dogs used were the Belgian Shepards. Ps how many Duracell does a dog take
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 07:13:12 PM by Bling (mark) » Logged

Soveriegn xs2 pro / goldmaxx power v4 /makro racer
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2013, 07:44:58 PM »

I think if you unscrew a Dachshund it takes 4 D batteries Grin

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal