Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Pin point tool  (Read 10454 times)
Anchorman
Rally attendee

« on: October 04, 2013, 06:38:25 PM »

I have another question before I spend some more hard earned cash. Could someone explain about the pin point tool. I know when I have detected something with the detector it will tell me within a few inches where the object is. Do I then bring out the pin point tool to show me exactly where it is and if the object was say 8 inches below the surface would the pin point tool pick it upor does this depend on the terrain. I am thinking initially about beaches. The other thing I am not sure about is do I hold the end of the pin point tool just above the sand or do I dig it into the sand.

Finally are some makes better than others. Many thanks giuys, you have been really good at answering all my questions and helping me to make progress.

Geoff.
herbie

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 06:50:18 PM »

The pinpointer  is used when the target has been dug, you then use it to detect the spoil or the walls of the hole, you wont get any real depth with it!

Same sh*t different hole!!
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 07:07:10 PM »

The pinpointer  is used when the target has been dug, you then use it to detect the spoil or the walls of the hole, you wont get any real depth with it!

just like the Deus then  Roll Eyes Shocked Grin Cheesy

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
Dyson

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 07:30:25 PM »

Mike no need of that lol
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 12:01:37 AM »

Mike no need of that lol

Smiley Smiley Wink just a bit of banter mate

alun

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 07:22:11 AM »

There are plenty of good pin pointers available, but the Garrett seems to be the most popular. I never used to use one, but now I have one it halves the task in locating the object after you have opened your first dig.
If you have dug the target out first time then use the pointer to locate it in the spoils, but if its still in the hole then use it to search the side and base. The pointer will locate objects along its sides as well as on the tip, this is handy if you have dug past the find by sliding the pointer up the hole.
Bloody hell, that reads like a school report  Roll Eyes
Their a good bit of kit anchor man.  Wink Grin

Roman Artefacts: 6
Gold:         3
Medieval 15
Silver:34
Etrac
AT Pro
Whites
Goldpanner

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 08:20:07 AM »

Heres an argumentative point, I would say if you need a pinpointer, either you arent using your detector properly, it isnt set up properly or you simply havent got a clue.
You really shouldnt need a Pinpointer if youre doing things right.
BUT I have to say on modern machines the Pinpoint mode is pretty bad.
On my old XLT I knew that after pinpointing, that the target would be exactly in the middle of the detector ring.

What I find sad is I read on another forum about someone getting a backup for his pinpointer in case it fails.
Sad, very sad.
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 05:36:28 PM »

so there you have it guys , 99% of us are not using our kit properly  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

i'll  remember that when im searching through gloopy sticky wet mud for that little hammy with my probe  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

sharkey
NWDD Member

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 05:59:49 PM »

a probe was an invaluable piece of kit when i was new to the hobby, and still is an invaluable piece of kit.  Grin

i've found it helps locate most items quicker than breaking lumps off and offering them over the coil, which leads to more time swinging, which potentially leads to finding more goodies! yes sometimes you flip the sod and the item is staring you in the face, but for most targets the probe gives you the initial clue as to where it is!

and dare i say it ........ I HAVE A BACKUP ONE!!!  Cheesy Cool

in my opinion, well worth the money

Sharkey

*North Wales Dirt Diggers
*Chester Mob member #002
*XP Deus
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 06:01:10 PM »

How sensitive are these pin pointers, to finding little items? grots, ect
90% of my detecting is ploughed land and a pointer don't seem really necessary for that type of detecting, as the items are a lot easier to find, I think anyway.

But going out with Stever on pasture I have called him over more than once to stick his probe in the hole when iv been sweating digging down, to find its in the side wall of the hole, its a good tool for that sort of detecting but £80 is over priced for what it is, and the problems people seem to get Undecided

carling2

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 06:07:51 PM »

so there you have it guys , 99% of us are not using our kit properly  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  Grin
I as much heard this in another topic earlier , is anyone any good at tectin on here  Grin
yes pinpointers do come in handy in the right situations ,, like when you cant find the flaming thing your after in the hole Wink
Metalmickey

Fisher F75 User.Some Men are Wise, Some Otherwise!

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 06:44:48 PM »

Simple answer... if you need a pin-pointer go sell ya detector cos it`s rubbish !  Tongue

If you want to understand today, you have to search for yesterday !!
carling2

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2013, 06:54:05 PM »

ebay would be busy wouldent it Roll Eyes see Roll Eyes some people on here are nuts Wink
congerman
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2013, 09:57:37 PM »

I use the garrett pinpointer and It has helped me to find loads of hard to find  targets my detecting is mostly on beaches near the low water  tide line up sometimes in the dark when the beaches are quiet maybe the ones who are doubting the need for A pinpointer would think different if like myself and others who  have been on the beach in the dark looking for A target when the tides turning and your detector is showing the targets out in the wet sand yes you can find the target and your detector tells you its under the coil in the spoil yes it may even register that its in the center of your coil but how would you manage if as in the past its A back of an earring or A gold ear stud (these fall through most sand scoops) or A small coin don't forget the tides flooding while you're P- - -ing around yes some machines do have excellent pinpointing capabilities yes A few occasions when inland detecting  I have found targets without my pinpointer by pasing hand fulls of dirt over the coil Another thing is if you get A pinpointer  recommend you look through the tips + ideas, for the postings about covering your pinpointer to stop the sand + mud getting into it  also some kind of attachment to fasten it to your belt incase you leave it behind or drop it  Shocked

stickygreen

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2013, 12:41:23 PM »

so there you have it guys , 99% of us are not using our kit properly  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

i'll  remember that when im searching through gloopy sticky wet mud for that little hammy with my probe  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

i dont think thats a fair statement at all.
i found pinpointing easy with my previous machines (dfx f75 t2 classic 3) but am having trouble getting to grips with the sov gt so a pin pointer is not only going to help me find my target easily but is going to give me more detecting as im losing time digging in the place albeit by just an inch or two.

When you don't know where you're going,  any road will get you there.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal