Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does Research Make You A Better Historian Than Detectorist ?  (Read 4510 times)
hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 11:15:04 AM »

Research can help but a lot is down to luck. Classic example, a few weeks ago I get a new farm permission, all pasture. On the first day I visit the farm, start on the first field, no particular search pattern and within an hour find a nice Charles Half groat. I have covered that field several times since then using a grid method and have found nothing else of note.

Like Dungbeetle I am in North Wales and have never found a cut half, found lots of pennies and fragments of pennies but never a proper cut half.

XP Deus user
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2013, 01:37:54 PM »

I've recently found out I missed a field.(Didn't know he owned that one)  Grain for 3 years and grass this year. I'm saving it for the winter when the grass dies back. And it's not one of those mineralised ones. I know there was a burial mound in the next field (NOT recorded) where I found some flints and crystals, also a late 1600's farm on the other side of the lane. Ever hopeful. Roll Eyes

Val

I always admire your dedication Val and your love of the hobby.It shows in your posts...But dont get like me now, that the chase (research) is more fun than the catch........ Grin Grin
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2013, 03:15:38 PM »

Praps I enjoy the research because I find something out about a place. More often than not when I go out and search I find nothing.  There is a certain amount of logic there Rob.  I do also get satisfaction from proving that there was a building there in the first place that no body, today, knows anything about. Just a shame they didn't leave something nice for me to find.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2013, 04:49:39 PM »

rofl "that the chase (research) is more fun than the catch........"  does that apply to marriage as well!!  Grin Grin Grin Grin

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2013, 05:34:08 PM »

The items need to be on the land to make the finds if they not there they wont be found... But I agree with Geoff on the roman grots and cut thin coinage, I have been on my hands and knees looking for tiny grots, minims, it takes time to learn to find them as some are that small, and only give off a slight flick, your coil 5mm higher or a bad swing that coin is missed, no doubt about it.   

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal