Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Life Time Of Working With Decent Archaeologists!!!  (Read 2357 times)
Spooyt Vane
« on: October 01, 2013, 04:04:15 PM »

The first time i worked with a Arkie,was with Dr Larch Garrad a very intelligent and eccentric lady who had spent years digging in the middle east and had returned home to Isle of Man..I helped her on rescue and trial trenches...There was Proffessor Peter Gelling head of Archeology at Birmingham who i helped at Peel Castle in medieval levels (a real gent)...Proffessor Lawerence Butler (one of Britains top medieval  arkies) at the first excavation at Rushen Abbey.....David Freke a top viking arkie who i worked with at Castle Rushen........David Higgins in medieval Castletown...Sinead  mcCartan (now a top dog)  At  Queens ,Belfast. I helped her at prehistoric site at Lhen Trench......Tim Darvill of T.V. fame...........at Billown Landscape Project........I worked alongside many others and introduced most for first time to how detectorists skill can help in excavation...Worked for free and quite  happy to sign waiver forms on treasure trove.....I did all the running to get on site....Great respect on both sides and many became friends..There many dateble items found by the dettectors..........Just to show GEOFF I am not anti arkie Grin
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 04:25:01 PM »

Rob I know your not anti-archi as I know of your award and the great work you've done over there, I only try and pull people up when they make what reads as a blanket statement ie. "All Archi's hate metal detectorists", "Detectorists never do any damage" or "All detectorists are heritage thieves". I know that most people don't mean it in the way they write it but levelling the playing field at times keeps things in perspective.
And don't get me wrong there are some right b...tards out there at county level Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal