Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Penny sheds light on old Pwllheli  (Read 2046 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: November 18, 2008, 12:55:40 PM »

A rare coin dating from 1666 has been presented to a Gwynedd town where it was used by shoppers in the past. The Pwllheli Penny was not used to beat any 17th Century credit crunch but as small change tokens by residents.

Mayor Evan John Hughes said he was delighted to receive the coin, which is the same size as a new penny, and which was presented to Pwllheli Town Council.

Edward Besly, a Museum of Wales expert, said the coins were used as "vouchers" and were not legal tender. Mr Hughes said the presentation of the penny added to a wealth of objects now kept by the town council.

"I'm so glad that it has been presented to the town council as I'd like to see a museum being built to display these treasures at some stage," he said.

"By and large they are pretty rare" - Edward Besly, National Museum of Wales

The coin was presented to the council by Mr O J G Cowell in memory of his father, town Alderman T R Cowell.

Town council clerk Robin Huws said it was "exciting" to learn about the penny.

"We had no idea of its existence," he added.

Coin and medal expert Mr Besly said there were three different issuers of the Pwllheli Penny, which was used as a "voucher" to buy goods.

Two of the issuers worked in 1666, Richard Preece and Hugh Lloyd Rosindale - the latter being responsible for the penny presented to the council.

"Hugh Lloyd Rosindale was described as a gentleman and mercer (person who sold cloth as well as other goods)," said Mr Besly.

Mr Hughes said he wanted the penny to stay in Pwllheli. The coin itself dates from a time when all coins were silver. As silver got more expensive, the coins themselves became smaller in size, and there was a shortage of small change.

To overcome this "tokens" were made of copper - and the right to issue them was sold to entrepreneurs, said Mr Besly. "Around a hundred people had the right to be issuers in Wales," he said. "They were all made in London though, as you had people travelling the country touting for orders," he added.

Originally there would have been hundreds of the pieces around, but in 1670 Charles II decided to produce proper coinage with the head of the monarch on one side, he said. This meant the token coins were collected back and probably melted down.

In some instances bags of the coins survive, but "by and large they are pretty rare", he added.

"Metal detectorists sometimes find them and the total of known Pwllheli pennies is only 10.

"Out of these, this one is the fourth known coin from the Hugh Lloyd Rosindale issue," he added.

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
BottyBurp (Kris)

To "Search and Protect"

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 05:41:47 AM »

That is very interesting & the "Penny" is in a very fine condition but I wonder if it was a Metal Detecting find!
Good stuff
 Smiley

PLEASE VISIT MY WEBSITE & SIGN THE GUESTBOOK.
H.M.D.C. Member
S.H.R.A.D.S Member
N.C.M.D. Member
www.freewebs.com/krisupfold
www.freewebs.com/hucclecotemetaldetectingclub

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal