Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: 5 hour hunt down aberavon!  (Read 7737 times)
matthewbullingham123

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 09:33:09 AM »

i know when i first seen it out the hole i was like :O:O Working 4 days straight so you can have my share of the gold Wink
Venger
Rally attendee

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2013, 10:19:25 AM »

I went down Aberavon yesterday; it was the first time I'd used my detector.  I was there for just over an hour and really just used it as an exercise to try to get familiar with it.  My first ever find was a rusty tent peg Sad

By the end of my time down there I'd found 2 tent pegs, a stainless steel spoon handle, a rusty pair of pliers, a fishing weight with some sharp spikes sticking out (could've been nasty if someone had stepped on it) and a manky 20p piece! 

I had a few false signals too on the wet sand (mineralisation?) and a few times I dug and found what looked like bits of rust in the sand from something.  I quite enjoyed my first time out though Smiley.  I think it was that "unknown element" of what I was going to find; sort of like a lucky dip.
alun

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 05:04:04 PM »

Aberavon has that effect on people Venger, tent pegs tend to be high up on the beach line between Remos and the Lifeguard station due to the gala events they have throughout the year. Gripper leads are always a threat well done for taking that one out.
You did well buddy especially when you are getting use to your machine. Just think of it this way, lead is heavy and so is gold, so your covering a possible area for it. Getting use to a beach is hard work, and takes time just the same as knowing your unit. Nice one well done.  Wink Wink
Just as a point of curio what unit you using?

Roman Artefacts: 6
Gold:         3
Medieval 15
Silver:34
Etrac
AT Pro
Whites
matthewbullingham123

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2013, 07:48:13 PM »

Those false signals your getting is probably deep iron ,aberavon is full of it , Just keep trying to learn the machine and listen to those signals. You will have get some junk but amongst that is the goodies Cheesy
Venger
Rally attendee

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2013, 10:41:43 PM »

Alun, I'm using a Visua MD10 that I had bought for me by my girlfriend for my birthday this year.  I'm not actually that gutted by the tent pegs as they come in handy for football for securing the nets Smiley.  My girlfriend took the gripper lead as she has a colleague in work that goes fishing a lot.  I couldn't do anything with the pliers and the spoon handle so they went in the bin when I got home.  I wasn't as far down as Remo's; I went down the steps by section E (in between Franco's and the end of the promenade) and detected in between there and the end of the promenade.

Matthew, I think you're right about the deep iron as I dug a hole almost a foot deep and the detector was still producing a signal when I put it in the hole.  I didn't dig any  further than that though as I didn't think there was any point (I didn't think the detector was good for detecting any further than 6 or so inches down so I thought the original signal was false) and I was just starting to hit water too.

matthewbullingham123

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2013, 09:36:04 AM »

I know the feeling you have , ive learnt the iron singals now but i was digging about five false holes a trip, try  detecting the spot from 2 angles if it's iron usually picks up only on one, also the size of the target can be a clue Smiley On my detector ive got iron on a low sound and other metal on a high sound, If i look on the screen iron seems to bounce around on the id .
Venger
Rally attendee

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2013, 11:15:09 AM »

Matthew, thanks for the tips.  I'll follow your advice next time I'm out and about and hopefully find some goodies Smiley.
matthewbullingham123

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2013, 08:39:50 AM »

no worries goodluck Cheesy

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal