Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13
  Print  
Author Topic: Pick on the detectorists  (Read 47580 times)
alun

« Reply #165 on: September 30, 2013, 07:41:21 PM »

I was not going to add to this anymore BUT:  They all have solid points, albeit way too strong. Archaeology is a fragile research procedure which needs to be practised with as much caution  as possible to gain as much info as can be recovered, but detectorists (responsible ones) more often than not have given them the lead in the first place. We tend to become the targets for excuses as to why these areas are discovered, with the blacker side of our hobby the "Night Hawkers", dragging us into a never ending argument.
Personally i would readily shop these guys in with great pride, as I am sure many of us would. We have a great hobby which brings us all together socially on both rallies and via web sites like this.
I am sure that there are Archaeologists reading this thread waiting to be slagged off, but I for one respect them for their efforts, but not to their blindness and stubbornness to the realisation that detectorists are a great help and are here to stay. 
Amen, thats my last say  Roll Eyes

Roman Artefacts: 6
Gold:         3
Medieval 15
Silver:34
Etrac
AT Pro
Whites
cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #166 on: September 30, 2013, 11:34:52 PM »

I have had a great insight into the mind of an accomplished nighthawk. He was unemployed for a great length of time but I can clearly state he wasn't nighthawking having been worn down by joblessness. Once in a job, and no longer 'worn down' he didn't curtail his nocturnal activities. Why should he when he still had his weekends free? This guy was (and probably still is) carrying on for years. He never operated alone, and had at least two different partners. He was at times most likely out 4 or 5 times a week. This guy was up with the best of them when it came to knowledge, and the history of the county. Most of the county was fair game. Like us all he has an interest in history but wouldn't hesitate to sell anything of value. He has a dealer at the ready and also acted as a fence for others I've since learned.

The truth is, it is an underground activity carried out in secret, so we will never fully realise the extent of it. However, although many maybe amateurish, you only need a few hardened nighthawks like above and the theft is great. Be certain of that! I find it truly amazing that despite the solid argument against nighthawking some people are still making excuses for it.

As Carling said, unless everyone sings from the same hymn sheet and are united in it's condemnation, it will never cease.

We hear about important sites having been discovered by responsible detectorists. What about those being found by Nighthawks. I know of one unrecorded site which could possibly have been a very significant Roman Villa. It was totally wiped clean of metal work over many years at night.

It is such a shame that some people are sadly so misguided in their views on this subject. I bet if every Nighthawk was named there would be some great shocks too.

Hammered                 5         
Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
Disc brooches             2
Med. silver annular brooch
galoshers

« Reply #167 on: October 01, 2013, 03:21:14 PM »

actually not all hoards get bought by museums ,DNW sold a large one last year split up into small parcels of coins ,it was declared of course and nobody wanted to buy it ,it was a good collection of hammered.
the only major haul i can recall was the roman lions looted from a site but that was ages ago.
the roman helmet was also declared and sold on at auction.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #168 on: October 01, 2013, 03:53:27 PM »

I don't think you would hear about them, that's the whole point and in one perverted way "thank god!" If a hoard to the extent of the Staffs was found and spirited away but information leaked out it would be for metal detecting what Hungerford was for shooting ie the end.
carling2

« Reply #169 on: October 01, 2013, 03:58:12 PM »

most hoards that are found are recorded but most of them ,though wonderous they may be are not worth a great deal or are not unique  and therefore not wanted by any museum  ,small roman bronze hoards and small purse type hoards come to mind but it still does not  give anybody the right to trespass and steal the things from the land no matter how crappy they are ,,hawking is a crime and even if every find that a nighthawker comes across is total tat ,its still theft and trespassing and gives the hobby and people in it a bad name ,,,if nighthawking is so poor ,,why do it? is it fun to be shafting a hobby that obviously these hawkers cant get enough of.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 04:27:56 PM by carling2 » Logged
cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #170 on: October 02, 2013, 10:14:55 PM »

Sorry everyone for resurrecting this post again. Please don't lynch me for it. On a less contentious note though I notice the post has achieved not far short of 4,000 views. Is this a record for a post? Is there anyway of telling which post has had the most views?

Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #171 on: October 02, 2013, 10:41:37 PM »

Not even close I'm afraid, the most views for a detecting related thread is "MineLab E-trac VS XP Deus" with 27670 Wink
cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #172 on: October 03, 2013, 09:03:41 PM »

Not even close I'm afraid, the most views for a detecting related thread is "MineLab E-trac VS XP Deus" with 27670 Wink
Cheers for the answer. That is an amazing amount of views on any one topic.

Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #173 on: October 04, 2013, 02:57:46 PM »

Sorry everyone for resurrecting this post again. Please don't lynch me for it. On a less contentious note though I notice the post has achieved not far short of 4,000 views. Is this a record for a post? Is there anyway of telling which post has had the most views?

I put a spoof posts on another forum entitled i think.....Going Naked With The E.Trac  and What Would Newly Arrived Aliens Make Of A M.D. Rally ..A great response..still laughing at the replies Grin
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #174 on: October 07, 2013, 11:04:01 AM »

most hoards that are found are recorded but most of them ,though wonderous they may be are not worth a great deal or are not unique  and therefore not wanted by any museum

I think in Wales everything seems to be wanted to be bought - even small purse hoards.
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #175 on: October 07, 2013, 02:29:06 PM »

I am going to add to the debate as we well know that some museums have acquired dodgy treasures from over the world and some museums  cant account for artefacts listed,but now missing from their collections..But we dont label everybody in the museum and archeological world as dodgy...We should denounce publicly the criminal nighthawkers as they are  no part of this geniune hobby..The vast number of people in this hobby are  not in it for gain and spend hundred of hours in an interesting pastime ,to gain knowledge of our past...Do be afraid to go public in defence of our great hobby.. Smiley
galoshers

« Reply #176 on: October 12, 2013, 04:49:50 PM »

its not commonly known but hawks are like junkies they have to have their fix ,even when the weather is really bad they'll be out in rain and snow from my observations.
no weather is too inclement for them except maybe deep snow. but they will find somewhere even then .
they get tanked in a nearby pub with a few pints then off they go on the hawk .
cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #177 on: October 12, 2013, 09:03:18 PM »

The more inclement the weather, the more people are in bed with all the hatches battoned down. The less likely anyone will be out and about to catch them. I would hardly have thought an ideal night for detecting would be a brightly lit sky and a full moon.

Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
Pon

« Reply #178 on: November 16, 2013, 08:28:00 AM »

We should denounce publicly the criminal nighthawkers as they are  no part of this geniune hobby..
The whole point of my arguement. You dont want to chair the NCMD do you? you'll get my vote straight away. Smiley

You can always tell a Black Country kid. You just can't tell him much!
ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #179 on: November 16, 2013, 11:38:42 AM »

My two pence worth.

When I give talks to groups/farmers, I explain that 'Nighthawkers' are crimminals with metal detectors as their choice of tool.
You don't call all car mechanics car thieves do you? Yet they carry the same tools
Electricians/plumbers burglars because again, they carry the equipment.
The point we need to be making is not that they give the hobby a bad name, because the inference is that they are a side of the hobby that's not talked and as such part of our ranks. We need to ephasise these are villans who just happen to use the same equipment as the hobbyist.

Mike

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal