Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: Pick on the detectorists  (Read 47606 times)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #105 on: September 17, 2013, 10:10:23 AM »

True it does happen but again you have to understand that archaeology is about recovering information, metal detecting is about recovering finds. So it's not about how many finds you will loose but about how much information you may loose if you spend too much time on the topsoil finds.
Pon

« Reply #106 on: September 17, 2013, 10:32:37 AM »

Imagine if someone found a hoard of major historical and national importance. Instead of declaring it they tried to sell it piecemeal over time.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/pe/t/the_salisbury_hoard.aspx&sa=U&ei=bi84UrHBCJDn7Ab_3IG4Dg&ved=0CBgQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNE-R8qU8MpsmDq9swBz_xeDhCM3uw
Imagine no more.

Now if someone can link me the NCMD's response to this, I would be very grateful.
I'm sure there must be one? I just cant find it.  
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 10:47:31 AM by Pon » Logged

You can always tell a Black Country kid. You just can't tell him much!
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #107 on: September 17, 2013, 02:52:39 PM »

Age and health might be a problem,but input is crucial Geoff as cranky old timers we are aware of our limits..But i see 4 possible problems becoming less so..1 Criminals who rob scheduled sites and our now being monitored by a list of names addresses and car plates supplied by the us and general public...2 Old public school and old ivy league university students..This minority who become Arkies,newspaper reporters,media bosses,television moguls e.t.c. blew it in attempt discredit this hobby by picking the worst bits out of a report on nighthawking..without a immediate right of reply from this hobby being granted..It had the opposite affect.......3 In fighting by ourselfs...We can all agree to disagree on any sticky subject but hopefully not at the expense of our national bodies..4.....Is the most important.........PUBLIC OPINION...which can be fickle at times....Iam voluntary helper at local museum where our club has a display and coaches come from all over Britain..The tourists like our display and our hobby is held in high esteem partly because the Staffordshire Saxon Hoard still excites...........It could be turned over night ,but they on our side and we should do our very best keep the public on our side
Pon

« Reply #108 on: September 17, 2013, 03:27:03 PM »

"Criminals who rob scheduled sites and our now being monitored by a list of names addresses and car plates supplied by the us and general public"
Does this happen? If it does, has anyone been convicted? I ask because I have not heard of this before. Smiley

"blew it in attempt discredit this hobby by picking the worst bits out of a report on nighthawking..without a immediate right of reply from this hobby being granted" Why should the NMDC have to wait to be asked to reply? They have a website to voice their/our opinion. Clearly the choose not to.

"We can all agree to disagree on any sticky subject but hopefully not at the expense of our national bodies".
Would that be the same "national body" who are supposed to represent us and remain silent whatever s**t is thrown at the hobby?

"Is the most important.........PUBLIC OPINION" 
I couldnt agree more, public opinion is the key. So where does Mr or Mrs G Public go to get a balanced view on metal detecting?

probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #109 on: September 17, 2013, 03:48:27 PM »

I wouldn't tar all 'public school and ivy leaguers' with the same brush.

Some of us (who wanted to be archies, but haven't done so) might have a more positive view of detecting.

There is some snobbery surrounding detectorists - my in-laws for instance are quite against it (my mother in law is also President of her local historical society) - and it is difficult to change opinions - but doing the 'correct' thing and challenging peoples' perceptions of the detecting fraternity does make a difference.

I'm a member of the Cardiff Archaeological Society - and I might just offer to give a talk on detecting to them (I've also been tempted to write and article for Current Archaeology - I've read every single issue, but my procrastination doesn't help).
remix
Rally attendee

« Reply #110 on: September 17, 2013, 04:06:44 PM »

"True it does happen but again you have to understand that archaeology is about recovering information, metal detecting is about recovering finds. So it's not about how many finds you will loose but about how much information you may loose if you spend too much time on the topsoil finds"

That may be one way of looking at the situation. However there is a bit of hypocrisy here in that on the one hand the archaeological fraternity want all the information on detecting finds yet on the other are happy to see the continued destruction and loss of small finds on excavations without record. Metallic small finds may only be a part of the picture, but these are very good for dating phases as an additional source of data to go with ceramics and so on. Surely it is better to make decisions with all the available information.
And we all know that commercial excavations are targeted and deal with the cherries in the archaeological cake and the remainder is relegated to perhaps a watching brief, more likley the bulldozer. The limitations need to be appreciated and understood because most detectorists find it difficult to see the merit in losing irreplaceable material because of cost.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #111 on: September 17, 2013, 04:24:57 PM »

In the great scheme of things archaeology has a very small budget with local authorities as at the end of the day it's purely an academic subject, all it does is provide information to inform the next generation of historians and archaeologists. Commercial archaeology companies are contracted to cut down on permanent wages and equipment and the companies are there to make money and I can't see that many detectorists volunteering to check topsoil for no reward Undecided
alun

« Reply #112 on: September 17, 2013, 05:34:50 PM »

Hey guys, this is getting a little drab now. Take a look at the thread heading and wonder why detectorist are picking on each other
Its our hobby and we all love it, so lets crack on together

Think about whats happening?Huh?? Barforditus has set in. Tongue

Roman Artefacts: 6
Gold:         3
Medieval 15
Silver:34
Etrac
AT Pro
Whites
carling2

« Reply #113 on: September 17, 2013, 05:44:12 PM »

yep come on guys ,weve had 8 pages of comments now to this particular thread,everybody moaning and complaining and turning on each other and not a constructive stamement on how to change the image of detecting apart from set up a new detecting governing body {which aint going to happen} as theres no give in this hobby,,maybe that's why people are falling out ,,,whatever ,were just making ourselves look right prats and confirming all the bad press....time to shut this thread before it does any more damage.
remix
Rally attendee

« Reply #114 on: September 18, 2013, 10:27:29 AM »

Agreed
Goldpanner

« Reply #115 on: September 18, 2013, 11:51:39 AM »

yep come on guys ,weve had 8 pages of comments now to this particular thread,everybody moaning and complaining and turning on each other and not a constructive stamement on how to change the image of detecting apart from set up a new detecting governing body {which aint going to happen} as theres no give in this hobby,,maybe that's why people are falling out ,,,whatever ,were just making ourselves look right prats and confirming all the bad press....time to shut this thread before it does any more damage.

How is discussing the future of detecting causing damage?.NOT discussing it will cause damge, burying ones head in the sand is a great way of ignoring the failings that are happening now. Its a credit that people have seen there is a problem and can discuss it.

But no problems. As I said, Ill be dead soon so if thats the way the younger people want to play things.......fine
carling2

« Reply #116 on: September 18, 2013, 12:14:19 PM »

just enjoy your twilight years  Wink its far easier than banging your head against a wall Grin
Goldpanner

« Reply #117 on: September 18, 2013, 12:44:03 PM »

just enjoy your twilight years  Wink its far easier than banging your head against a wall Grin

Twilight years? Hahaha I like that, it sounds nice and peacefull.
I have a Harley Fat Boy and an AC Cobra Replica that I built, with a 4 litre V8 in that should ensure my 'twilight' years are peaceful and calm.

Pon

« Reply #118 on: September 18, 2013, 02:11:03 PM »

yep come on guys ,weve had 8 pages of comments now to this particular thread,everybody moaning and complaining and turning on each other and not a constructive stamement on how to change the image of detecting

1. Modernise the website.
2. Treasure Trove laws and code of conduct, should be higher placed/have more profile on the home web page.
3. Recognise (on the website)some of the fantastic finds that responsible detectorists have found.
4. Be more vocal (again on the website) in condeming illegal detecting, and backing up resposible detecting when needed.

Theres 4 for starters. I'm no "web wizard" but I would imagine these are all simple fixes?

I'd be interested to hear your views on these Carling2 or anyone else for that matter, For the life of me, I cannot think why anyone would not want to see this happen.  
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 02:19:42 PM by Pon » Logged

carling2

« Reply #119 on: September 18, 2013, 04:52:11 PM »

all 4 very good points that im sure can be sorted but alas it will do nothing to deter the critics of the hobby as there has been a code of conduct going for years and still the anti detecting lobby think that most of us do not follow this conduct or any regulations regarding detecting so just stating again that this is what we are sopposed to do is going to cut no ice with the anti tectin league,...only 1 way to make any headway with the anti tectin bunch is send the ncmd a list of proposals that we as hobbyists can change the way we detect and that my mate is not going to happen as ,,lets be honest here we are not all whiter than white and any restrictions that please the anti tectin lobby means more restrictions for everybody,,,see my 9 point plan earlier in this thread would you agree to it? but the anti tectin lobby would love it ,but once again getting everybody to agree to anything more that ties the hobby up will not happen ,,my advice ,, go with the flow.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal