Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: Pick on the detectorists  (Read 47566 times)
remix
Rally attendee

« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2013, 06:21:46 PM »

Getting to be bit of a witchhunt so let me ask a few questions to widen the debate :-
Where do the FID fit into the detecting world ?.

I am a member of several detecting forums and never see much about the FID except that they sell insurance. What is their take on detecting politics and i will ask the obvious, what have they ever done for the hobby ?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 07:20:57 PM by remix » Logged
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2013, 06:31:28 PM »

As far as I'm aware the "F" in FID is a misnomer and as you say their only reason for existing is for insurance, the same observations apply Undecided For instance their photo gallery hasn't been added too since 2005 and I'm pretty sure something must have been found in the last 8 years Huh

Remix this isn't a witch hunt, this is a wakeup call.....modernise or move over  Wink
remix
Rally attendee

« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2013, 07:26:07 PM »

Modernising or moving over is nothing to do with me. I am just a forum members with views ,but will be interested to see who will be taking over so to speak. I look forward to seeing how they get on.
However will this new grouping be made up of self appointees responsible to nobody except themselves and accountable to no-one with hidden accounts, insurance policies details and so on ? We could be talking about the FID again.
diggerdave1

« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2013, 07:29:00 PM »

FiD....Federation of independant detectorists!!!

Well a part from them selling insurance/ too cover u when detecting, i find them to-be a Good for me ! i get my photo  i d card..

i also get Recovery service cards" which i can hand out to farmers/land owners..both of these things have helped me agrt deal in gaining new search permissions...plus a get a nice annual fid book on whats going on in the hobby?/finds that have been made and updates on rallys ect....So gents its not just about the insrance Roll Eyes not for me anyhows Tongue........

Smiley
stever

"Wise is he who collects the wisdom of others."

« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2013, 08:14:23 PM »

its very simple folks no politics its just a hobby get permission ,fill your holes in,and enjoy the peace and quite...JOB DONE  Grin    oh and just laugh at all the made up politics remember people always need a good moan so let them get on with it

Finds Since Feb 2012
Gold Rinds x2
Gold  35g
Hammered-7
Silver coinage-53
stever

"Wise is he who collects the wisdom of others."

« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2013, 08:28:16 PM »

just to add they wont ever ban me ill be running across a field with the police chopper chasing me with 2 fingers in the air if they make it illegal ...............Rant over Grin

Finds Since Feb 2012
Gold Rinds x2
Gold  35g
Hammered-7
Silver coinage-53
carling2

« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2013, 08:54:56 PM »

I aint commenting on this anymore ,it,ll be going on longer than the Syria so called crisis,,,,ban ,don't ban, licence ,don't licence,,,wont make no odds anyway people will still tect ,,everyones busy trying to justify to  themselves as to why there finding {ahem} treasure and getting told off for it by so called people in the know,,youll always have critics as it started as a hobby with people wandering where they want and to some extent it still is....just get on with it {or not} ..we all get told off sometimes Grin.
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2013, 08:57:35 PM »

just to add they wont ever ban me ill be running across a field with the police chopper chasing me with 2 fingers in the air if they make it illegal ...............Rant over Grin

I heard that so many times before it was banned in Ireland, a couple of prison sentences later and all the bravado was dead as was the hobby.
Steve you're relatively new to the hobby and so I can understand not knowing the history and not being interested in all the "bolotics" but it's the newer people who are the ones who should be stating what shape the hobby should take for the future.
"ill be running across a field with the police chopper chasing me with 2 fingers in the air" that statement alone is the type that the heritage lobby just love. The politics are there whether we like it or not Wink
hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2013, 10:30:35 PM »

I heard that so many times before it was banned in Ireland, a couple of prison sentences later and all the bravado was dead as was the hobby.
Steve you're relatively new to the hobby and so I can understand not knowing the history and not being interested in all the "bolotics" but it's the newer people who are the ones who should be stating what shape the hobby should take for the future.
"ill be running across a field with the police chopper chasing me with 2 fingers in the air" that statement alone is the type that the heritage lobby just love. The politics are there whether we like it or not Wink

Agreed, I've only been detecting a few years but can see that ignoring the threat is not going to make it go away. There are people out there who do not want us to detect and will take every opportunity to chip away at the credibility of our hobby, burying our heads in the sand with the 'I'm allright jack' thinking is not going to work in the long run. Yes you can call it paranoia if you like, but the threat is there,and it will raise its ugly head one day. Some people have a negative view of detectorists, most wouldn't give a toss if it was banned tomorrow. It's a fantastic hobby, and the majority of us couldn't give a fig how much the coin we've just found costs, we're in it for the history, the expectation that the signal we're just about to dig is going to be something good! the buzz of discovering something that has been lost for countless years! the feeling that we could find something that could end up in a museum for all to see and we could say 'I found that' We need people to understand that the majority of us do it for those reasons, and not to make a few quid on e bay punting Eddy pennies at 20 quid a pop!

XP Deus user
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2013, 06:53:37 AM »

Hotmail, people are in different situations money wise and if they want to sale there finds its up to them, all my detecting finds and hammered coins would be sold in a instance to keep the roof over my kids head... you don't know the reason behind selling, its hard times for people and I know many of them what sale there finds, family and friends.

I think if it came to the point where detecting was going to be banned then there would be up roar by thousands of detecterists, what are just sitting back at the moment just enjoying the hobbie, and not get involved in all the politics, no one wants there hobbie made illegal, me included.

And where is the big threat coming from at the moment??? what wasent there last year and the year before and so on................
carling2

« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2013, 08:23:36 AM »

nobody is saying its going to be banned,just some members don't like being criticised for doing what there doing,and want to blame the ncmd,,it aint there fault but here what laws should be put into place if you've a small hope of defeating the critics
1 don't detect within quarter of a mile of any scheduled sites.
2 don't detect any land either side of known roman roads.
3 no night hawking anywhere period.
4 any site that starts to bring up items of any period over 500 years old ,stop and inform the flo.
5 please get information of any cropmarks off the relevant body before commencing detecting.
6  do not detect within half mile of any present settlement.
7 anything over 300 years old must be recorded
8 the tvc will be srapped seem as you do it for the love of  history not the finatial reward.
9 you will all be required to carry a licence that ha to be signed by the flo and landowner of any site your on.
there you go guys that,ll stop most critic if you all agree to the 9 conditions {not fair I hear you say} well then stop blaming the ncmd an live with the negative comments.
Goldpanner

« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2013, 08:40:28 AM »

And where is the big threat coming from at the moment??? what wasent there last year and the year before and so on................

And there lies the problem !! complacency
carling2

« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2013, 08:51:39 AM »

need to get your own house in order guys before passing the book,like Harold shipman saying I didn't kill nobody it was the nhs that did it  Grin..
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #88 on: September 14, 2013, 09:19:35 AM »

You've lost me there somewhere Paul? Where do you see blame shifting Huh
I do like your rule number 9 and 7 should come naturally anyway Wink
carling2

« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2013, 01:14:36 PM »

blame should lie with tectorists themselves,when tectin  started there were no rules to where you could go,why wasnt the hobby regulated when it 1st started it might have layed the cornerstones of regulations that would have adhered today,i know many old tectrists that say {when you mention a site } oh yea I was there 30  years ago {must have been scheduled since then},and now some sites get scheduled because the simple fact someones been tectin on it and found more than they should have  {a regulation in the making if you like},,and these days we have people selling potential treasure items on the open market that haven't been throught the tvc  and of course we have always had the spectre of nighthawking,,,,how can the ncmd take responsibility for a group of people that probably started on the wrong foot anyway and continues to do so regarless of declaring finds or not.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal