Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: Pick on the detectorists  (Read 48181 times)
Goldpanner

« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2013, 11:13:37 AM »

Actually that whole things is quite old and from last year

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/about/news/heritagecrime/

That's why we need an organisation who can respond instantly to stuff like this and neutralise a lot of the negativity.

The 2 scumbags shouldn't have had a suspended sentence but should have be locked up for a month or so.

This is the sort of foul and scurrilousl rubbish that needs correcting and stamping out:

Mark Holmes, senior crown prosecutor and heritage crime co-ordinator for CPS East Midlands, said: “This practice of illegal metal detecting and stealing artefacts from the ground has been a growing problem, which the Crown Prosecution Service takes seriously. Often carried out by so-called ‘enthusiasts’, this kind of activity has retained a veneer of respectability which it just does not deserve. Land is being damaged; the theft of ancient artefacts robs us of important information about our heritage and the artefacts themselves are lost to the public.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 11:18:36 AM by Goldpanner » Logged
hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2013, 11:41:43 AM »

Actually that whole things is quite old and from last year

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/about/news/heritagecrime/

That's why we need an organisation who can respond instantly to stuff like this and neutralise a lot of the negativity.

The 2 scumbags shouldn't have had a suspended sentence but should have be locked up for a month or so.

This is the sort of foul and scurrilousl rubbish that needs correcting and stamping out:

Mark Holmes, senior crown prosecutor and heritage crime co-ordinator for CPS East Midlands, said: “This practice of illegal metal detecting and stealing artefacts from the ground has been a growing problem, which the Crown Prosecution Service takes seriously. Often carried out by so-called ‘enthusiasts’, this kind of activity has retained a veneer of respectability which it just does not deserve. Land is being damaged; the theft of ancient artefacts robs us of important information about our heritage and the artefacts themselves are lost to the public.

As part of the Health and Safety profession I have seen over the years many press comments or general comments regarding 'HSE Nazis' HSE gone mad etc which was really getting the whole profession tarred with a very big brush, yes there were instances where councils and businesses had used HSE as an excuse to prohibit something, but on the whole HSE works at protecting people from Harm and ill health at work. The HSE governing body the HSE executive realised that this poor publicity was becoming a serious problem for HSE management in general. As a result the HSE Executive embarked on a campaign of using any public crticiism of HSE to put their point across, be it responding to press articles or getting involved in debates on radio and tv programmes. Rather than sit back and take a beating every time, they got out there and fought their corner, it has made a difference and people who are willing to listen to both sides of the debate can make their own minds up. If we have no one to stand up for us then the public damning the hobby as a whole gets every time 1 or 2 clowns with metal detectors go out and cause damage and steal things will only get worse, possibly to the point where someone influential or in government gets involved in a campaign to curb or ban our hobby for ever.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 11:44:02 AM by hotmill » Logged

XP Deus user
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2013, 11:20:56 AM »

Lets end the fantasy that N.C.M.D. dont work hard enough...I helped run a charity fayre in my local parish for ten years and we collected thousands of pounds for charity..I was in charge of cutting and preparing the field, a big undertaking..People thought that happened by it self..I spent many hours selling raffle tickets and collecting prizes...We had meetings with the police to control traffic and safely organise car parking...I organised the celdhi at night to thank the helpers..The clean up was horrrendous for days after the fayre..Even though we spent hundreds of hours of our spare time helping the parish,the committee was sniped at..Poor  health led to collapse of that committee and fayre..But most people have no idea what happens behind the scenes in a committee .,I have been on  many committees and they are good people trying do their best... Roll Eyes.
Goldpanner

« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2013, 11:44:57 AM »

Lets end the fantasy that N.C.M.D. dont work hard enough...I helped run a charity fayre in my local parish for ten years and we collected thousands of pounds for charity..I was in charge of cutting and preparing the field, a big undertaking..People thought that happened by it self..I spent many hours selling raffle tickets and collecting prizes...We had meetings with the police to control traffic and safely organise car parking...I organised the celdhi at night to thank the helpers..The clean up was horrrendous for days after the fayre..Even though we spent hundreds of hours of our spare time helping the parish,the committee was sniped at..Poor  health led to collapse of that committee and fayre..But most people have no idea what happens behind the scenes in a committee .,I have been on  many committees and they are good people trying do their best... Roll Eyes.

But in our specific situation the NCMD is there too look after our interests, to defend us from unwarranted attacks and allegations and in my opinion to Pro-Actively respond to those allegations and reports.
They aint doing it.

When was the last time you heard on the BBC: "The National Organisation for Detectorists the NCMD, today refuted the allegations of................."

I rest my case.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2013, 11:57:22 AM »

Well Rob you may live on Fantasy Island but the rest of us don't (sorry I couldn't resist Grin)
The point here isn't whether or not they do enough work it's about whether their focus is in the right direction for the current climate?
If they are run off their feet reading all the junk they must get from the NT, Forestry, English Heritage etc then is it time for a body to be set up to be the guiding light in the hobby for the 21st century?
NCMD have not moved with the times in as much as their image is one of a government body ie invisible, they have tried but seem to have gone about it half-cocked, their advice on detecting abroad for instance...under "Belgium" they have "Information still awaited" now I know the postal service can be bad at times but it's said that for 3 years that I know of, one phone call or email would give them the information. It's just an unprofessional image they put out, and if they are that amateur then it's of no surprise that the archaeological community think of the rest of us as being equally as shoddy.
Not only don't they "refute" as Goldpanner says but more incriminatingly they don't all out condemn when nighthawking is mentioned, they are not doing enough in my mind to promote the good detectorists from the bad and therefore you get the "I won't bother recording, no one else does" mentality.
galoshers

« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2013, 01:12:10 PM »

blame the endless TV progs which gives the impression that a fortune is being robbed from the ground ,instead of the hard one odd hammered coin or badge or some other minor find. its too late now to change their minds .
the majority of finds are minor and have little value to anybody except the finders
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2013, 01:29:07 PM »

Geof have you tried to get a full statement omany aspect of hobby on the B.B.C.lol/
Trevor Austin has had bits lleft out (the important bits) or his view is left out because of time factors lol....Get out of that drea\m world Geof ...EXCUSE THE PUN  Grin
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2013, 01:35:07 PM »

Says who? oh let me guess. Regardless of that Rob I worked in the Press long enough to know that the more efficient organisations have a ready to go press statement when things aris and not the "when contacted" quotes that others give.
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2013, 01:43:41 PM »

Says who? oh let me guess. Regardless of that Rob I worked in the Press long enough to know that the more efficient organisations have a ready to go press statement when things aris and not the "when contacted" quotes that others give.

i suggest you speak to the horses mouth Trrevor Auistin,,not from nostaglia Grin
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2013, 01:51:16 PM »

It's not nostalgia Rob, it's knowledge of how the system works and your suggesting that we get a quote from him Roll Eyes
This is not in itself a knock to the NCMD, let them be the government contact organisation but isn't it time that we have an organisation to "front" the hobby, to promote education and information. Wink
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2013, 02:04:19 PM »

It's not nostalgia Rob, it's knowledge of how the system works and your suggesting that we get a quote from him Roll Eyes
This is not in itself a knock to the NCMD, let them be the government contact organisation but isn't it time that we have an organisation to "front" the hobby, to promote education and information. Wink

With your expertiise Geoff i would back you in any venture...waiting in anticipation like the rest of the forum Wink
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2013, 03:06:15 PM »

I consider myself too old to do it Rob and I'm still the right side of 55, what's needed is some young blood with fresh ideas Wink
Goldpanner

« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2013, 03:17:46 PM »

This is the blurb from the NCMD website:

The National Council for Metal Detecting is a representative body of elected volunteers formed in 1981 to provide a means whereby responsible metal detector users would have a democratic forum to discuss problems affecting the hobby and to provide an authoritative voice to counter ill -informed and frequently misleading criticism of the hobby.

Eh Huh?
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2013, 04:34:23 PM »

I totally agree with you Geoff , that a voice is needed and it has to be loud enough
to be heared, before it's to late. Goldpanner .. I think that statement says it all, but maybe the NCMD need reminding of it.

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2013, 05:40:15 PM »

I totally agree with you Geoff , that a voice is needed and it has to be loud enough
to be heared, before it's to late. Goldpanner .. I think that statement says it all, but maybe the NCMD need reminding of it.

So what do we do? Do the NCMD take the lead in this or is there a need for a more visible, more pro active organisation required? Is it up to the  NCMD to adapt or for something else? Seperate? Maybe made up of representatives of Detecting clubs willing to pick up the banner?

XP Deus user

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal