Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: Pick on the detectorists  (Read 48244 times)
Pon

« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2013, 10:36:32 AM »

Quoted from Goldpanner "The problem we have is the rabid uneducated few, who because of some nighthawks and site robbers have tarred us all with the same brush. The fishing fraternity don't all get called thieves because of a few Poachers?, motorists arent all branded as murderers because some people get killed by cars",  

This for me is what the argument is all about.

Next time you visit the British Museum, take a look at the finds that we all know were found by metal detectorists, Not one is recognised as being found by a metal detectorist! having said that most items in BM do not state how or who found them. I have no problem with this at all, thats down to BM to decide,  
Take a look at the NCMD website (which you would think would be most peoples first port of call if they wanted information about this hobby or what the NCMD stands for in the uk) You'll find its very much like the BM in as much as there is very little recognition to what this hobby has contributed to our history. This is what I find very sad, You would think that they would be shouting from the roof tops about such great finds such as the Hoxne treasure, the Staffordshire hoard, The Frome hoard etc there is very little recognition of this. Likewise when you enter the NCMD website the treasure trove laws, code of conduct should jump down your throat making you more than aware of the current laws and the duty you should adhere to...again this isnt so.
Further still, they seem to remain silent when local press, archaeologists and such like publish reports of illegal detecting, You would expect at the very least the NCMD to speak up and condemn such activity? As the NCMD stands at the moment I wouldnt hold your breath waiting for that one.
So with all this in mind, put yourself in the shoes of a reporter an academic or indeed anyone searching for "the other side of the coin" What impression would you leave the website with? You would be forgiven for thinking the NCMD really couldnt care less about nighthawkers/illegal detecting, or for that matter not thinking repsonsible detectorists have found some of the best artefacts/coins you and I are ever likely to see.
Maybe I expect too much from the NCMD? You tell me.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 03:59:14 PM by Pon » Logged

You can always tell a Black Country kid. You just can't tell him much!
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2013, 12:39:37 PM »

I can't think of anything to add to that Pon, you have summed it up wonderfully Wink
Pon

« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2013, 12:56:49 PM »

Thank you Geoff, I was due a decent post...looks like that was it. Need to remember the date of this for future reference.  Cheesy

Spooyt Vane
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2013, 04:12:17 PM »

If you lot are not happy with the N.C.M.D. and their aims .....Why not get on the national commitee to change the things you dont like..Instead of sniping from the sidelines...Come on you can only change from the inside Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2013, 04:20:34 PM »

I'm not sniping from the sidelines Rob I'm using artillery in the centre, this is trying to be a debate on what needs changing for the 21st century, so we know the "how" but the "what" is the question.
And it's not so simple to get on the committee. Has anybody that's a member of NCMD but been detecting for less than 10 years got any views?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 04:28:24 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
Pon

« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2013, 04:27:22 PM »

Rob, I wouldnt call it "sniping from the sidelines"  as its been posted on a forum for all 2288 members to see. I would imagine that atleast some people connected with the NCMD have read the posts?? As a fully paid up member of the NCMD I feel I atleast have the right to air my views.
For the record I have sent an email to the NCMD and so far have had no reply. now I'm no computer wizz kid (Bill Gates does not poo himself when I sit down at a pc) and I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt and say they havent recieved it??
So for the benefit of the NCMD if they have read this post then please feel free to email at pona@hotmail.co.uk. I will gladly discuss this with you further. If they do email me back I will gladly give them my mobile number so they can ring me direct, as I'm over 40 (thanks for that Geoff) my prefered method of "communication" is still the telephone. Tongue
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 04:58:55 PM by Pon » Logged

Goldpanner

« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2013, 04:28:20 PM »

The other problems is, individual members not part of a NCMD club membership have no chance of getting onto the committee

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2013, 04:30:18 PM »

Exactly and the majority of detectorists don't belong to a club Huh
Pon

« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2013, 04:36:32 PM »

@Rob, sorry forgot to add this to my first reply , Ive also registered for the NCMD forum earlier today so I can post my views on there, as of yet I havent recieved a conformation email...(maybe they are busy updating the website to reflect atleast the 19th century)...Sorry, that was below the belt Roll Eyes  Rest assured as soon as I get my confirmation I will also post my views on there.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 04:42:30 PM by Pon » Logged

Pon

« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2013, 05:09:48 PM »

Has anybody that's a member of NCMD but been detecting for less than 10 years got any views?
lol well edited  Wink

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2013, 05:12:26 PM »

Grin
win

« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2013, 07:22:13 PM »

So in effect their business is running their business and not doing what they are mandated to do?
Thanks, thats what I thought.

We need a new organisation now or a complete shakedown of the present one.
The Treasure Act was a trap that the NCMD fell into, now they are afraid to bite the hand that gives them credibility, The Government.

I can forgive you that comment as you're a newbie. Whatever you think of the NCMD today, the fact is that we would not have a hobby today if they hadn't worked so hard for us when the Tresure Act was being drafted in the mid 1990s. The arkies expected to have carte blanche to do as they liked and mandarins in Whitehall would have just rubber stamped it. Other detecting bodies just stood on the sidelines and criticised.

A newbie? DONT call me a newbie, I was fieldwalking and detecting probably before you were born.

So you want the 2/- Argument eh? OK fine, sit down and read sonny boy.

I know an awfull lot about the NCMD and the Treasure Act as I was part of the grouping opposing the Treasure Act as it was proposed.
With or without the NCMD we would still be detecting. The NCMD had little if anything to do with the Treasure Act other than sucking up to politicians to ensure their noses were in the trough.

So lets just put some other things in perspective.The NCMD havent 'ensured' anything.
The NCMD only did a 'good job' because at the time when the Treasure Act was proposed, it was the only people the Government would talk to.
Its a neat Government trick used to blindside many people when they can say about any Consultations, "Well we are in discussions with the relevant organisation". Thats always a killer for the blind fools who believe it.
But the truth was that there were far more detectorists NOT in the NCMD than there were actually in it, and  a majority of people opposed to the Treasure Act, but the Government ignored that fact. Sure they put out Green Papers then White Papers for consultation but didnt take a blind bit of Notice of the responses to them. The Treasure Act itself was slid through parliament, minutes before the house was prorogued before a General Election with only 5 people sitting in the House to vote. Technically it was an illegal enactment as members of the house were not given sufficient notification of the vote before it happened. Do your history, check your facts.
Now, the NCMD had a straight choice of which side of the fence to sit on. They either sided with the Anti's who were the actual majority of their members or took the cushy road of supporting the Treasure Act knowing that would then put them in the Governments pockets and sitting at their tables.
That was what they chose. The easy route, the cushy route.
However, Its a simple fact that NCMD or no NCMD we would still be detecting with the Treasure Act as that was the law. It would have been passed without any involvement of the NCMD, they just jumped on the Gravy Train while they could.

So we have the Treasure Act and the NCMD. I obey the law and am a member of the NCMD and obey the Treasure Act.
Being a member of something however, doesnt dis-enable them from commenting on what they and a lot of other members are thinking and indeed saying.

However........The NCMD in its present form has become complacent and lazy, full of old farts who really cant be bothered to do much at all, pretty much the same as the FID. It should be working alongside EU organisations to further our detecting rights, not only in this country but also within the EU.

Are you happy that practically anything in your garden soil doesnt belong to you? Do you think Farmers are really chufffed to be told that stuff found on their land, land that could have been in their family for hundreds of years isnt theirs by right? What right does the government have to seize something lost hundreds of years ago?.
The NCMD have become too lazy and should be doing more for us instead of partying with Government Ministers.

How dya like them apples, junior ?

Well you must be a really old feller if you were field walking  before I was born. I'm 70 on Saturday. you must be 90 at a guess.  Still its nice to be called sonny boy and junior, I thought thopse days had gone. thanks.
Pon

« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2013, 09:13:31 PM »

Happy Birthday for Saturday then Win  Smiley

win

« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2013, 07:47:27 AM »

Happy Birthday for Saturday then Win  Smiley

thanks mate. I was really crushed about it a while ago but now I've come to terms with it. Family have been secretive, I know they're up to something. Aiming to get to 130 now. Then I'll think again.
brisad
Rally attendee

« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2013, 11:01:22 AM »

I used to detect many years ago, but now I am back into it I joined the ncmd for the insurance and credibility..... I looked at joining a club like NWDD when they opened up for new members but reading the criteria I cant comply with their expectations due to being a carer and sometimes I am needed at the drop of the hat.

Yes we have access to careline who would ring me or other nominated contacts first or if appropriate send an ambulance
having said that I recorded Street patrol uk yesterday and watched it last night, to be fair they did state that many detectorists are law abiding and are not a problem.

What they did do was find 2 idiots working a known roman town in field that are scheduled the buffoons walked away and the heritage people took piccy's and found an etrac in the bushes,

Police went ti their homes and there was stacks of gear from the site including pictures on their phones showing a trench with One sat posing for the camera!.

My point is that if you stop and really really listen and hear what people actually say you may come to different conclusions howevere, when you watch the clip the "illegal detectorists and illegal theft of OUR heritage is due to DETECTORISTS plundering national and historical treasures"  kept popping into the clip....... now we as responsible detectorists will have understood the meaning and condemned these idiots BUT for the majority of other watchers it would come across as "thieving detectorists"

People don't read or listen properly anymore ie

A bird in
in the hand

OR

Top of
of the pops

Point made?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal