Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: Pick on the detectorists  (Read 47583 times)
Goldpanner

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 05:58:16 PM »

I agree to a point. The problem as I see it is that the NCMD was originally a very pro-active organisation, but it seems to have now withered down to a situation where it no longer seems to actively defend Detectorists or pro-actively promote the hobby.
It would seem that since the Treasure Act, it has slowly descended into a peaceful stupor rather than proposing and promoting new ideas, or joining with European Detecting organisations to defend any further degradation of our rights, because those who oppose us are still out there, beavering away, using any lies and excuses they can and any unqualified Vexatious dimwits they can to stop us.

The NCMD did a great job in the old days, but to me it has passed its sell by date
stever

"Wise is he who collects the wisdom of others."

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 06:06:38 PM »

im just glad I don't give a hoot what archies think about me detecting (apart from our very own chef) I love history i,fill me holes in only detect on land I have permission so they can call me whatever they like I don't regard them as having any special right to tell me what i can and cant do so there rant over and breathe lol

Finds Since Feb 2012
Gold Rinds x2
Gold  35g
Hammered-7
Silver coinage-53
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2013, 06:26:13 PM »

Very true Goldpanner, to me it is reactive, which was fine when it was set up to promote DIG but now we need a pro-active body.
My ideas would be too radical for most and quite truthfully impossible to introduce in this country after such a long time of the hobby existing here. Yes I do think that the future if we want one is to work closer with the likes of PAS and for a governing body to run regional training workshops for self-recording, small finds excavation, basic finds conservation and site analysis by way of finds.
And before you all lynch me Roll Eyes no I'm not pro-archaeologist but I am pro-archaeology as anyone who detects should be in my view but don't get me wrong I'm not naive enough to believe the new governing body wouldn't need a "war cabinet" that could be called on should the need arise, for as Goldpanner has said they are still out there. Walk softly but carry a big stick Grin
outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2013, 08:03:13 PM »

Valid points stated on both sides of the fence,

Tragically there is an awful lot of independant detectorists out there, detecting at will whereever they wish and not adhereing to the code of practice.

Most hobbies have good guys and the bad guys  Roll Eyes
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2013, 09:13:33 AM »

On the page I put up on the link itself there is a email address on the right hand corner if everyone on here sent a email giving their thoughts just to let people know what we think. Wink I've sent my email.
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2013, 09:23:50 AM »

I hope you wrote it in German Kev Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2013, 11:49:58 AM »

I agree to a point. The problem as I see it is that the NCMD was originally a very pro-active organisation, but it seems to have now withered down to a situation where it no longer seems to actively defend Detectorists or pro-actively promote the hobby.
It would seem that since the Treasure Act, it has slowly descended into a peaceful stupor rather than proposing and promoting new ideas, or joining with European Detecting organisations to defend any further degradation of our rights, because those who oppose us are still out there, beavering away, using any lies and excuses they can and any unqualified Vexatious dimwits they can to stop us.

The NCMD did a great job in the old days, but to me it has passed its sell by date

Nonsense Goldpanner ...we on the Isle of Man asked the present N.C.M.D .for help in the change of our ancient trove laws and they presented a very proffessional and impressive input into
the first draft of the new Treasure act that was to all intents unworkable............Now we hope the final draft works in our favour.....Thanks to Trevor Austin and all the N.C.M.D .committee... Grin
Goldpanner

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2013, 12:33:33 PM »

Nonsense Goldpanner ...we on the Isle of Man asked the present N.C.M.D .for help in the change of our ancient trove laws and they presented a very proffessional and impressive input into
the first draft of the new Treasure act that was to all intents unworkable............Now we hope the final draft works in our favour.....Thanks to Trevor Austin and all the N.C.M.D .committee... Grin

Exactly my point. You shouldnt have to ask, they should have been on it without anyone asking, Years back they would have been.
Today they have to be 'asked'.
Says it all really.
remix
Rally attendee

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2013, 03:24:32 PM »

Being a long time member of the NCMD.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 08:57:10 PM by remix » Logged
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2013, 04:53:44 PM »

I'm also a long time member Remix and would wholeheartedly agree that had the NCMD not been formed when it was the hobby may well have been banned but but I'm not going to doff my cap to them just because of what happened 30 years ago.
The problem as stated is that as a governing body they just don't govern, they neither give views or guidance on items affecting the hobby and only act on things that endanger the hobby.
remix
Rally attendee

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2013, 06:46:22 PM »

I know where you are coming from.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 08:56:00 PM by remix » Logged
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2013, 07:14:09 PM »

Yes maybe "governing body" was the wrong term and I agree with your last sentence regarding a lack of interest but this is bound to happen with a hobby where you can just buy a machine and away you go.
As for finance, well we haven't got a clue what they have as they don't or won't release figures nor will they say how many members there are Undecided
As I said in my first post of this thread, "they still seem to be sitting in their slit trenches with their tin hats" Just maybe the attack will never come so what is happening to the subs while we wait?  and just maybe, if they became more proactive then any future plans may be put to them for consultation before any standoff becomes necessary.
It's just the views I receive are pointing to the fact that a certain number of dedicating members of the hobby would like to see an organisation that is a leading light and there to help with the minor as well as the major difficulties.
remix
Rally attendee

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2013, 10:32:09 PM »

The apathy issue is rife within the hobby.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 08:56:20 PM by remix » Logged
Goldpanner

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2013, 08:21:36 AM »

So in effect their business is running their business and not doing what they are mandated to do?
Thanks, thats what I thought.

We need a new organisation now or a complete shakedown of the present one.
The Treasure Act was a trap that the NCMD fell into, now they are afraid to bite the hand that gives them credibility, The Government.
win

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2013, 08:39:59 AM »

So in effect their business is running their business and not doing what they are mandated to do?
Thanks, thats what I thought.

We need a new organisation now or a complete shakedown of the present one.
The Treasure Act was a trap that the NCMD fell into, now they are afraid to bite the hand that gives them credibility, The Government.

I can forgive you that comment as you're a newbie. Whatever you think of the NCMD today, the fact is that we would not have a hobby today if they hadn't worked so hard for us when the Tresure Act was being drafted in the mid 1990s. The arkies expected to have carte blanche to do as they liked and mandarins in Whitehall would have just rubber stamped it. Other detecting bodies just stood on the sidelines and criticised.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal