Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Your forum is been watched  (Read 10186 times)
relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 09:46:18 PM »

Just because you have a good working relationship with archaeologists in Somerset does not mean that applies to all other parts of the country  Huh

Its no rumour whey the Cotsworld rally was cancelled and there was no good reason for it either.

It seems any negative comments about archaeologists are not really welcome by you personally  Huh

This is a free world and people are allowed opinions believe it or not  

Deus 2013

Hammies: 32
Saxon gilded saucer brooch 1
Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 09:50:26 PM »

Dont forget relichunter, we go a step further than leaving the site open. We actually invite archaeologists to our digs. If the archaeology community wish to know where our digs are , they only need ask the local FLO as they always get an invite.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 09:55:33 PM »

I think that an open forum is helping to highlight that there are responsible and honest people involved in the hobby as its not just about profit some really are interested in history and archaeology   I wonder if time team are quaking in their boots incase they lose the right to hold digs  they have A bigger following than DETECTING WALES if it wasn't for sites like the detecting wales how many members would have struggled and given up or been like me Wink detecting 90% of the time on there own (my choice I love my own company Grin Grin ) the rallies are A great idea for them who use them to meet  others and see finds that some (me Grin) can only dream of finding and also give access to places that some would never have  Wink

Time team are supposed to be archaeologists why would they be are quaking in their boots in case they lose the right to hold digs ?

Detecting Wales is a good forum and is full of responsible and honest people

Rob inviting the local FLO is the responsible thing to do I agree

But its time to start protecting the rallies by not publishing the area weeks in advance so some of the rouge elements in archaeology and there are some, can not interfere.   

Deus 2013

Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 10:02:21 PM »

But you started the thread regarding DW and the cancelled two day rally? If you can't see why the Cirencester rally may have been cancelled then you really haven't done your research on the land involved Undecided
I am the first to criticise archaeologists if it's due, I was involved in the ant-stop campaign in Bristol back in the 80's so I come from a time and remember just how divided the two sides were and how close we came to losing the hobby.
We have come a long way since then and through cooperation and education times, thankfully, have changed. At the end of the day Archaeologists are the professionals and have a job to do, we on the other hand are hobbyists and while we can be of immense help, we can also do a massive amount of damage.
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2013, 10:02:59 PM »

I think that an open forum is helping to highlight that there are responsible and honest people involved in the hobby as its not just about profit some really are interested in history and archaeology   I wonder if time team are quaking in their boots incase they lose the right to hold digs  they have A bigger following than DETECTING WALES if it wasn't for sites like the detecting wales how many members would have struggled and given up or been like me Wink detecting 90% of the time on there own (my choice I love my own company Grin Grin ) the rallies are A great idea for them who use them to meet  others and see finds that some (me Grin) can only dream of finding and also give access to places that some would never have  Wink

Time team are supposed to be archaeologists why would they be are quaking in their boots in case they lose the right to hold digs ?

Detecting Wales is a good forum and is full of responsible and honest people

Rob inviting the local FLO is the responsible thing to do I agree

But its time to start protecting the rallies by not publishing the area weeks in advance so some of the rouge elements in archaeology and there are some, can not interfere.   

Well I do agree that the area being advertised to village level was a mistake and will no longer happen. From now on when a rally is announced it will be advertised with a larger catchment area and farm specifics will not be given out.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2013, 10:12:41 PM »

Well I do agree that the area being advertised to village level was a mistake and will no longer happen. From now on when a rally is announced it will be advertised with a larger catchment area and farm specifics will not be given out.

Now your getting paranoid Grin Grin Grin
relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2013, 10:29:06 PM »

Geoff no one is paranoid

But you started the thread regarding DW and the cancelled two day rally?

No I didn't  Huh

Your forum is been watched, I am trying to warn you of what is happening

If certain trouble makers and certain archaeologists read that DW are holding a rally there is nothing stopping them contacting the farm in question and trying there best to get it stopped.

Ok the Cirencester rally there was no reason for it to be cancelled other than a county archaeologist intent on trying to stop metal detecting for good, I only wish I could name and shame the person, but I will not sink to there level.

Yes it was a good area but was in no way scheduled

It was on ploughed land were finds and what possible archaeology are been destroyed by the plough every year

How can do a massive amount of damage been hobbyists ?  
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 10:44:29 PM by relichunting » Logged

Deus 2013

Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
stever

"Wise is he who collects the wisdom of others."

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2013, 10:43:27 PM »

I agree with congerman  there are responsible and honest people involved in our hobby as its not just about profit some really are passionate about history and archaeology I personally respect archaeologists but DO NOT think they have any special right over sites that are not scheduled they seem to be fixated on the muppets of our hobby and not us genuine folk

Finds Since Feb 2012
Gold Rinds x2
Gold  35g
Hammered-7
Silver coinage-53
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2013, 10:53:19 PM »

Well first, yes if it were on ploughed land then you are right in that damage would have been minimal if any especially as there was to be an FLO present I think this is one area where "they" need educating in that there seems to be the mistaken belief that modern detectors can find things feet deep rather than the inches they actually do, this isn't helped by the adverts by machine manufacturers promising super depths.
But as to what damage we "can" do, it's two fold, I was at an archaeological dig several years ago on the Dorset border and when the top soil had been removed the Roman floor layer had small dark spots all over it, these were where detectorists had removed items leaving only the mixed topsoil dots to show where things had been, granted this was an hillside location with only a few inches of topsoil but the damage was there for all to see.
Secondly.. I along with Taff have managed to put three Romano British farmsteads/settlements on the HER for Somerset, now two of these sites have been detected by a local club for over 20 years and in that time not one item has been recorded for them, had this continued then all evidence of their existence could have been lost forever.
relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2013, 11:05:33 PM »

Well all I can say is that local club that detected 2 of the sites for over 20 years without reporting one single item should be ashamed of them self's.  Roll Eyes

I can see your point about the Roman floor but how did the archaeologists discover it in the first place, was it because responsible detectorists were reporting finds from the area?

I am not against archaeologists I have a keen interest in are past. I began detecting back in the early 80os and took O level archaeology at school

So that probably makes me better qualified than Paul Bartford  Grin 

Deus 2013

Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
Gold Finger
Rally attendee

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 09:59:28 AM »

I am not against archaeologists I have a keen interest in are past. I began detecting back in the early 80os and took O level archaeology at school

So that probably makes me better qualified than Paul Bartford  Grin 

Hi guys.... Wally here!

Ooops poor joke, but yes, having researched the infiltrators work, there is absolutely nothing to be seen regarding his qualifications in archaeology, so in all honesty, we can conclude that he is a fake and should therefore be totally ignored.

relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 10:20:27 AM »

the vexatious blogger with incredibly itchy underpants certainly has not got many friends or respect in the archaeology world,or any were for that matter

No one takes him seriously and he really needs psychiatric help because he is soft in the head and  talks absoulute nonsense

Deus 2013

Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
Goldpanner

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 10:23:30 AM »

Never ignore a fool. There are always other fools who will believe them
Gold Finger
Rally attendee

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2013, 10:38:35 AM »

An ignorant fool indeed, who really has no idea of the repercussions of his wet dream.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2013, 11:06:09 AM »

Regardless of your opinions - keep it clean guys.

If this post continues to focus on the same person it will be locked.

Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal