Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: finds  (Read 4404 times)
brisad
Rally attendee

« on: August 22, 2013, 10:26:41 PM »

Another newbie question  Embarrassed

What do you all do with your finds? looking at all the roman hammered coins popping up all over the place I have to ask
Also if you are keeping hammys and roman do you get a "price" for it and if so how do you look up a price?

thanks in advance (again)

Brian
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 11:26:12 PM »

Hi brisad,

All my hammered coins, medieval artefacts, roman coins, brooches, and anything else nice with age I keep and never sell, I put them away and look at them from time to time,
gold items like rings il scrap along with worn silver coins and battered hammereds.
As stever knows all my early milled coppers greenies buttons ect gets slung I cant help it, I call it bush fodder.

* 004 (Large).JPG (293.87 KB, 1440x1080 - viewed 503 times.)

* 005 (Large).JPG (328.8 KB, 1440x1080 - viewed 527 times.)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 11:29:53 PM by Dale » Logged
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 11:39:30 PM »

A good way to see what items sale for is Ebay and for coins its got to be the Spink book, shown in photo...... hope this helps
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 11:44:33 PM »

Like Dale I never sell any coins, in fact I haven't got a clue of the value of any of them, I don't mean I don't check just never found any to make my pulse race and stay in my memory Undecided
I keep my hammies if I can, all my farmers know I like them so they are fine with that, the majority of Roman finds either go back to the farmer or local primary school as teaching aids. All bits of lead, copper and copper coins go in the scrap to  trade in before Christmas and the money from that buys the farmers their Christmas boxes.
But before any of the above happens all finds are recorded with PAS and a copy of the record sheet goes to the farmer to give him a picture of his land.
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 11:58:14 PM »

Some good ideas there Geoff I must start keeping the scrap.
Giving the farmer a sheet I think is great and a very good idea, but my farmer is not bothered about find what so ever, he likes the manhole covers I get him to replace his old, they are funny old people lol
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 12:02:01 AM »

so  it was you who pinched my manhole cover Grin

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 12:03:00 AM »

One thing that never ceases to amaze me is how much joy you can give a farmer by giving him a musket ball lol
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 12:07:21 AM »

I show him a good roman coin and he digs the hell out of it with his finger nail and says is it silver !! I cringe and say no thats patina Cheesy 
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 12:13:44 AM »

I'll tell you what I do with my hammered and Roman coins when I find one Grin

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
brisad
Rally attendee

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 08:20:07 PM »

Great answers!

I had to chuckle at them though......

I got the book FREEEE! ( I love that word) with the garret 250 from Regtons well Tuesdat will see me popping my cherry at the beach and if the wife is better over the weekend I can have a bash at the farm behind us...... IF I find anything I will be sorting out a proper agreement in writing as he thinks there is nothing to find  Grin I hope to change his mind.

Regards all Brian
cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 08:51:19 PM »

Great answers!

I got the book FREEEE! ( I love that word) with the garret 250 from Regtons well Tuesdat will see me popping my cherry at the beach and if the wife is better over the weekend I can have a bash at the farm behind us...... IF I find anything I will be sorting out a proper agreement in writing as he thinks there is nothing to find  Grin I hope to change his mind.

Regards all Brian
A few years ago I got a new permission and the farmer said "you won't find much on here". I said "you never know". His reply was "just find me enough so that I can go on holiday". My first time out I found my first gold coin, a beautiful Dubonni inscribed gold stater. He was gobsmacked and ended up with £400. So Brisad I wish you the same luck I had. You never know!

Hammered                 5         
Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
Disc brooches             2
Med. silver annular brooch
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 12:25:47 AM »

Great answers!

Regards all Brian
A few years ago I got a new permission and the farmer said "you won't find much on here". I said "you never know". His reply was "just find me enough so that I can go on holiday". My first time out I found my first gold coin, a beautiful Dubonni inscribed gold stater. He was gobsmacked and ended up with £400. So Brisad I wish you the same luck I had. You never know!

Brian as cardiffian said you never know what lies beneath, what you will find is items will pop up out the blue in the strangest of places. Good luck, il look forward to seeing your finds Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal