Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What do I do  (Read 4710 times)
Anchorman
Rally attendee

« on: October 02, 2013, 05:12:19 PM »

Hi Guys.

Re=my forst post. I am now saving up some more hard earned cash to get a near the top minelabs detector so should be active before Christmas. In the mean time I have been watching lots of videos and reading up on detecting in general. I have a question and its probably been asked many times before. Just suppose after a few trips I have found a few gold soverigns and a few gold rings, please note I said supose. What do I do with them, obviously they would have some value and any money I could earn from a huge initial outlay would be very welcome. I doubt it would be advisable to go to the high street to one of those shops that state in huge letters, "WE BUY GOLD." I doubt a jeweller would give me the true value of my finds, so where would I go. Many thanks in advance.

Geoff.
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 05:23:32 PM »

i'll take them off your hands guv' , a fair price lol

seriously , depending on date/mints gold sovs are worth scrap for ordinary ones and silly money for rare ones .

buy yourself a coin book , coins of England is great and will help identify your coin finds .

gold rings unless very old posy type or roman etc are scrap value generally .

take a look on ebay and you will see what I mean

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
Pon

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 05:36:56 PM »

First thing you should do when you find those gold coins etc is show the owner of the land you're detecting on. The owner is also entitled to a cut of you "good fortune"

I would also suggest reading these in the mean time.

http://www.ncmd.co.uk/treasure%20act.htm

http://www.ncmd.co.uk/code%20of%20conduct.htm

Good luck in the future as well Smiley
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 05:39:36 PM by Pon » Logged

You can always tell a Black Country kid. You just can't tell him much!
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 05:39:25 PM »

Agree Mike, as you said a sov innless rare is BV
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 07:15:24 PM »

BEACH FINDS...If your  gold coins and rings are found on the beach officially they should be handed in to the nearest Police Station as lost property. Though I doubt many are.
Treasure, of course is the property of the Crown and should be declared to you area Portable Antiquities Officer where it will be given due process.
You find it, they take it, you get a reward and in the case of the Police it is returned if not claimed.
In other words 'IT'S NOT YOURS'  That's the theory anyway. So far I haven't had cause to test it. Cry

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
IFINDNOTHING

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 07:16:27 PM »

For selling scrap gold I found hatton garden metals give a good price and fast service.

Quote "Don't ever give up hope, there's something out there, all you have to do is hold on and believe" Axl Rose-1988
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 07:29:18 PM »

High street jewellers vary greatly on the amount that they will pay per gram of gold. At the moment
 it is anything between £6.00 and £8.00 a gram around here for 9ct and as little as £16 a gram
for 22ct gold. Most High street jewellers and "online gold traders " treat Sovereigns and
wearable jewellry as scrap and only pay  accordingly. Beware of a lot of " online traders " and read
the  small print on their websites, as the price they show won't be the price that you recieve.
                                    I've been dealing in jewelry for over 30 years and I have to check the price of gold twice a day, to make sure that the price i'm paying is not to much or to little for something.
                                       My advice to you is always shop around for the best price, don't take the first offer and obviously try and sell when prices are high.

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
IFINDNOTHING

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 08:22:13 PM »

Dryland, you are correct. The price you are quoted may not be the price you receive, I got more back than the quoted price from hatton garden metals as gold went up overnight, money in the bank within 24hrs of posting items, can't fault them in my opinion. They gave me about 15% more than the best high street price.

Quote "Don't ever give up hope, there's something out there, all you have to do is hold on and believe" Axl Rose-1988
cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 09:17:45 PM »

I have an 1853 sovereign which I found earlier this year and the book price is £600. Would it not sell in a DNW auction for something in the region of that value (minus the knock down price) as opposed to scrap value? Just wondering.

Hammered                 5         
Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
Disc brooches             2
Med. silver annular brooch
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 09:31:49 PM »

There are three different Sovs for 1853,  BV, Roman I  and F over E, the latter two having
the most value, and then that depends on the condition of the coin. Unfortunately most
Bullion dealers won't tell you this and still pay scrap price. Perhaps auction would be  the way to go.

cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 09:39:27 PM »

Mine is the WW incuse on truncation. I think I would take my chance at auction. I have some old DNW catalogues and will out of curiosity look to see what sort of sovereigns and half sovereigns (if any) were included.

Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 09:50:08 PM »

Yes IFindnothing Hatton Gardens are probably one of the best. The only thing  if you  are are continuously sending off large amounts, then you are likely to be classed as a dealer or trader .

Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 09:56:08 PM »

Cardiffian if you google LONDON COINS, auction realised prices for english coins and
type in 1853 Sovs. I  hope you're not dissapointed

cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 10:09:45 PM »

Cheers Dryland. Very surprised. £230 for VF 1853 WW. Surprised but not disappointed as I wasn't going to sell it. However, how do I come up with a fair share for the landowner? I would have gone by the Spink 2013 book but that would evidently not be a realistic benchmark.

Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 10:15:17 PM »

Unfortunately not mate. Unless you've got something really special and possibly uncirculated  these days ,then [ and I am only talking about gold ] a bullion price is probably a good guide

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal