Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ripping up history  (Read 1231 times)
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« on: August 21, 2013, 08:39:49 PM »

I found this web page but I don't know how to create a link but the site is called

(ripping up history-Archaeology under the plough)

It has some very interesting facts and some shocking facts!
I'm just wondering what peoples thoughts are?
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 08:57:50 PM »

Do you mean this one from English Heritage?
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/publications/ripping-up-history-archaeology-under-the-plough/030725rippinguphistory.pdf

It is very thought provoking and worrying but obviously it depends on what side of the fence your on. Yes they should be applauded for their attempt to keep land in pasture and thereby hopefully protect the archaeology but on the other hand, in a world that will have 9 billion mouths to feed in less than 40 years the stopping of crops being planted for what can never be more than an academic discipline and an interest is immoral at best Undecided
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 11:50:01 PM »

I was shocked by just how many archaeological sites have been damaged, but time has moved on since then and the land is needed, we are a little island with a lot of history and people.
Its a massive shame but 50% of our history is  invaders like the ROMANS, what gets me is you hear of roman forts and camps but 9 times out of 10 they have taken over our iron age Celtic strongholds, but our own history and people don't get mentioned, trying to find out any thing about local digs that are around my area is a nightmare, you just won't find anything out. I know digs have happened on sites as iv seen them but no information is given out, so I think if people are told more and shown more  people can learn more about local history everyone would appreciate it more, then it may not be just a field with a mound or a dip in it.     

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal