Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Finds!  (Read 956 times)
NickDavies
Rally attendee

« on: August 15, 2013, 10:59:30 AM »

Since i've started metal detecting i've always wondered what to do if i found something of significant importance, something like a hoard or things classed as treasure! I have yet to find such things but would be nice to be prepared if that day may come!

Things i want to know...

1- Do you leave the items in the ground?
2- Who do you contact? The procedure?
3- What happens after it?

If anyone would be so kind and help me with some of these id be most grateful!

Happy Hunting
Nick

It's there, you just have to look for it!
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 11:53:10 AM »

Hi Nick, well first you need to familiarise yourself with the treasure act so you'll know exactly what constitutes as treasure. Obviously if it's a single item then it will probably be out of the ground before you realise, if on the other hand it turns out to be a hoard then it's best practice to call the FLO immediately and they will tell you if they can get someone there to excavate it (don't worry it's all yours and the landowners) If they can't get there that day then cover it up.
Now it doesn't matter whether you put a tent on it, park on it, buy a shot gun and guard it lol but the possible information that can be gained by proper excavation and recording is valuable to the historical record.
There are many examples on here of the right way of doing it but here's one which shows what else can be discovered other than a hand full of coins;
http://www.detectingwales.com/index.php?topic=16219.0

So your first point of contact should be Mark Lodwick on 2920 573226
Now sometimes you've got more chance finding a hoard than you have contacting the FLO lol so my advice would be to phone Swansea Museum if you get no luck.
NickDavies
Rally attendee

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 12:07:57 PM »

Cheers Geoff I was reading an article about people finding hoards and then getting the area thoroughly checked over by experts and it occured to me that i had no idea who would be my first point of contact or what to do in a situation like that. And its always useful to know as the field i have are very rich with history and seem to be undetected so we live and hope as they say!

Thanks for the advice really appreciate it!

Happy Hunting
Nick

It's there, you just have to look for it!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal