Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Our first hoard  (Read 7130 times)
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2013, 12:53:21 PM »

That's top stuff. There's nothing quite like finding a hoard (of whatever period). It'll be very interesting when you go back - at least you know where to look this time Smiley
Metalmickey

Fisher F75 User.Some Men are Wise, Some Otherwise!

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 06:28:22 PM »

"Hoards are like Buses" Now you`ve found ya "First" another will be along shortly !!! LOL Ever the optimist me  Grin

If you want to understand today, you have to search for yesterday !!
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 06:46:43 PM »

A few weeeks ago myself and deadlock met up for a few hours out. Initially we were going for a dig on deadlocks field. When we arrived we were a bit disapointed to see the farmer lime spreading. Not fancying a faceful of dust we discussed a plan b, as we were already kited up I suggested we go and have a go on one of my fields about 20 minutes away. I hadnt tryed this particular field though the adjacent ones had produced a few Georgian coppers and it did have a footpath running across it.
Walking from the car to the site through a bit of woodland we started detecting, the usual shottys and small calibre shell cases turned up and the odd predecimal copper not to bad so far as at least we were finding stuff.
 We finally got out of the wood onto the field, my first signal was another shotty a couple of buttons and assorted scrap ,Alun had about the same. After about 20 minutes i get a scratchy though dig me signal and as i took the first clod out , there looking up at me was a dull grey disc after a gentle brush off I saw I had a roman denari .ROMAN I shouted to Al and after I got his attention he sprinted across the field  to look at it.. After a good pat on the back and well done we continued searching. I decided to skirt the edge of the wood whilst Al made for the centre of the field. 5 minutes later I hear a great shout of joy and Als punching the air, hes got a silver as well, followed shortly by another whoop as he found a second.
 We then decided to concentrated searching the centre of the field and by the end of the session Al found another 2 and a couple of broken pieces whilst I had another 1.
I went back the next day and was able to find 3 more.
I phoned the farmer the next day and arranged to show him what we had found. I also explained that the coins had to be reported as they would be classed as potential treasure then explained the procedure
I then asked him about what he he done to the field in the recent past
Look forward to next instalment, great story well done guys Wink Wink
Radnor Bandit (Ian)

Keep banging them rocks together

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 09:44:58 PM »

Thanks for the great comments guys,
The farmer was very interested and quite intrigued with the find  on his land
Yes we certainly will be updating the story as it happens,,,but after my experience with the treasure process, I wont be holding my breath, .
I am thinking of running a book on how much the valuation committee will value it at..........any suggestions ?  Grin Grin
The closest guess wins a day out on one of my fields
cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 08:57:19 AM »

Nice finds Ian but please don't be offended by my guess of £140. Having said that there will now be something rare in among them pushing the amount up to £5000  Smiley. Let me know if I have won in about three years time when your case has been concluded. Grin

Hammered                 5         
Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
Disc brooches             2
Med. silver annular brooch
the-BANGOR-citizan

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 09:09:21 AM »

What's the chances of that. I find a HOARD and two weeks later a mile up the road another HOARD.  Shocked

Remember Farrar Road
Farmer Phil (always remembered)
cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 09:15:04 AM »

What's the chances of that. I find a HOARD and two weeks later a mile up the road another HOARD.  Shocked
We know what they say about buses. Get back out their quick lads!

Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
the-BANGOR-citizan

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 09:22:02 AM »

Next trip out I found seven more and a Bronze Age Spear. The Grass is way to long now and the ball is in in the hands of the System. Unlike Ian I found the Hoard but am also the landowner so have no protocol but do know the History of the land since the second world war and as soon as Is possible I will be back.

Remember Farrar Road
Farmer Phil (always remembered)
cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 09:25:18 AM »

Next trip out I found seven more and a Bronze Age Spear. The Grass is way to long now and the ball is in in the hands of the System. Unlike Ian I found the Hoard but am also the landowner so have no protocol but do know the History of the land since the second world war and as soon as Is possible I will be back.
Best of luck when you do get back out there.

Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal