Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: its the soil density that kills you  (Read 4016 times)
galoshers

« on: August 08, 2013, 05:02:58 PM »

i had a good example last year when i noticed a field in my local park had been ploughed up for re seeding .
i nipped round there in the evening with the Deus and there were so many coins popping up all over the place i didnt need a trowel .
pockets were bulging with pre decimal.
soil was nice and fluffy and aerated .

i went back a few days later and the blighters had seeded it and rolled it hard .

no shoots coming thru yet so out with the Deus and visions of tons of coins again .

wrong ,i was hardly getting any signals at all ,even though i knew there were tons of coins still there as the park goes back to victorian times.

so there you have it . on a meadow last evening .no signals at all even though there should be tons of finds there .

its the soil density that blocks you ....
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 05:13:24 PM »

Rolled seeded and moist is the BEST !! Fluffy dusty and dry is the worst Angry
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 05:31:57 PM »

Nothing to do with soil density Galoshes, purely down to the moisture content of the soil at the moment.
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 09:00:44 PM »

Nothing to do with soil density Galoshes, purely down to the moisture content of the soil at the moment.

Yep, second that!

Nowt worse than dried out hard compact soil !  Cry

andyt
Rally attendee

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 09:01:34 PM »

As said, rolled is best.
If your not hitting them, there not there or there now to deep.
nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 09:03:00 PM »

What about the dreaded mineralization Shocked

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
galoshers

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 10:27:12 PM »

we will have to disagree on this then ,for i have seen with my own efforts that aerated soil allowed signals to penetrate and find coins easilly whereas rolled and seeded and hard allowed no signals to be found and no coins which i knew was there ,to be seen.
it was from 1 extreme to the other .

the ground damp conditions didnt change from the days in question
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 12:16:17 AM »

I'm afraid we will, these are electrical waves not a physical object trying to push though the soil.
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 09:11:07 AM »

i had a good example last year when i noticed a field in my local park had been ploughed up for re seeding .
i nipped round there in the evening with the Deus and there were so many coins popping up all over the place i didnt need a trowel .
pockets were bulging with pre decimal.
soil was nice and fluffy and aerated .

i went back a few days later and the blighters had seeded it and rolled it hard .

no shoots coming thru yet so out with the Deus and visions of tons of coins again .

wrong ,i was hardly getting any signals at all ,even though i knew there were tons of coins still there as the park goes back to victorian times.

so there you have it . on a meadow last evening .no signals at all even though there should be tons of finds there .

its the soil density that blocks you ....

I'm with Geoff on this one Grin
Dungbeetle
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 09:24:28 AM »

Yes got to agree with Geoff on this. I find that the best depths that I get are on undisturbed pasture. Freshly ploughed dry land is hard to get any depth on.
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 10:18:10 AM »

Does the make of detector make a difference. I was told, and have read, that Minelabs don't like fresh plough.
On one of the few Rallies I managed to get to the Farmer started ploughing just before lunch and quite a few followed the tractor. Someone told me not to bother as I wouldn't find anything with my Safari. He was right but then that's not out of the ordinary for me. Roll Eyes
On the other hand I have found many nice little bits in fields the haven't seen a plough since Adam was a lad. Go figure. Undecided

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 10:31:53 AM »

Theoretically any auto ground-balance machine will suffer on freshly ploughed soil but the FBS system is probably the worst as it needs reliable feedback from the ground and as there is very little "ground" on fresh plough it struggles to understand what to do.
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 11:28:24 AM »

Theoretically any auto ground-balance machine will suffer on freshly ploughed soil but the FBS system is probably the worst as it needs reliable feedback from the ground and as there is very little "ground" on fresh plough it struggles to understand what to do.

Thanks for the explanation Chef - I've been wondering about that for ages - I've got a SE pro and I really don't like detecting on freshly ploughed soil - much prefer it after a few weeks when it has compacted more again - so something like a T2 (after initial balancing) should be better on fresh ploughed soil then?
galoshers

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 11:53:58 AM »

strange , my buddy also likes freshly plouged as the hammered just pop out without much digging to do .
i mostly dig deep holes on thames where on a good day i have got  50 hammered and milled coins and bucket full of artifacts for a days work .so doing fields and pasture is for bad days when tides are poor.
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 11:59:19 AM »

i mostly dig deep holes on thames where on a good day i have got  50 hammered and milled coins and bucket full of artifacts for a days work .so doing fields and pasture is for bad days when tides are poor.

Yes don't you just love dreams like that  Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal