Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: parks footpaths woods etc  (Read 10338 times)
brisad
Rally attendee

« on: August 06, 2013, 06:45:33 PM »

Hi Gang

I have spent the afternoon trying to research where you can detect, I have got my foreshore permit but I have understood downloaded and printed farm/landowner agreements.

When  I started detecting about 33 years ago I was into all the local parks etc I did ask the Rossendale Council for permission but they didn't have anyone to give it!...... I was just asked not to make a mess  Roll Eyes

I only detected on and off and sold my detector (steam driven) while researching as far as I can get Denbighshire has no guidelines/permits/advice on the subject.....

I know NT property is a no no and farms have owners but what about abandoned railway lines, footpaths parks and wood?

On the way to Wrexham on th Llandegla road the Council have opened up a new countryside park like the One at Loggerheads has anyone ever found if there is any legal way to detect these places please?

All answers on the back of a £50 note please  Roll Eyes
herbie

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 06:57:57 PM »

unfortunately every bit of land is owned by someone if its council or farm land you will need permission!!

Same sh*t different hole!!
Venger
Rally attendee

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 12:39:07 PM »

I'm new here and I've been wondering if anyone on here from the Briton Ferry area knows what the score is on detecting in Shelone Woods?  Is it allowed and, if so, who would I have to get in touch with to ask for permission?  I'm assuming it'd probably be Neath Port Talbot council or somebody. 

I've just had a new metal detector off my girlfriend for my birthday (Visua MD10) and I'm struggling to think of areas in the local vicinity (I don't drive) apart from Aberavon beach where I could detect.
dai13
Rally attendee

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 03:13:35 PM »

hi venger you won't get anywere with neath council i'm from briton ferry and have tried should meet and have chat one day email me if you like .
Dusty

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 04:18:39 PM »

Not had any problems detecting around parks in Wrexham. I fill in my holes and to be honest you wouldn't know I was there. The odd council worker has approched me but only to have a chat about detecting, machines etc... some have even suggested council land to try where they said it'll be quiet and *cough* no prying eyes. Bonus is I've not been bubbled by any of the workers.
Venger
Rally attendee

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 05:23:59 PM »

Thanks for letting me know Dai.  I'm not really surprised with the council to be honest  Sad

I was up the woods a couple of weeks ago taking some photos of the views up by Cheese Rock and it was deserted and a lot of it was overgrown which is a shame as I remember lots of people used to go there.  I used to play up there as a kid in the 1980s and don't remember it being as wild as it is now.  A lot of the old paths are hardly visible now due to weeds and brambles.

Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it when I'm not busy.  I'm going to be moving soon to Swansea so lots of stuff to do before then.
alun

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 05:51:06 PM »

Firstly  the councils are really hard work, and i would be very surprised if you gained permission to detect on their land  Embarrassed However, canal tow paths can be another way of detecting "footpaths". These are also privately owned but the societies maintaining these areas can sometimes be sympathetic to our hobby. I have managed to gain small areas where i live, which have not produced much as they are being maintained regularly, but if you can gain a area which has been left then you could get some tidy results.

Briton Ferry, Shelone woods:
I am also from the "ferry",and yep the woods are owned by NPTCBC so are a no go area. Bit of a bugger really as it was the main run for the sailors from the docks. Take note from the above reply guys as you well know there are two tow paths there, so permission could be available from the canal society in Neath.

Looking at some new permissions soon and if I gain them then you are more than welcome to come along.

Roman Artefacts: 6
Gold:         3
Medieval 15
Silver:34
Etrac
AT Pro
Whites
Venger
Rally attendee

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 06:56:03 PM »

Thanks for the reply Alun.  I haven't had the detector long and I haven't been out with it yet.  I was half tempted to have a go in the back garden, just to test it out, but I don't think I'll find anything but junk.  The garden was in a bit of a mess when I first moved in 30 years ago; I remember that there was a lot of rubbish down the far end.

I've bought a book by Dave Crisp (Metal Detecting: All you need to know to get started) and a 2013 copy of Spink's Coins of England & the United Kingdom to be able to identify any coins I may find.

Naively I didn't expect it to be such an arduous task to get permission to detect on council land around here (not that I've tried yet, just going by what you and Dai have said).  I've had a look at the forums a little over the last couple of days and I've obtained a permit from the Crown Estate to detect on their foreshore as this was mentioned.  Apart from that I've done nothing but read.

Thanks for the kind offer too Smiley.
congerman
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 07:42:50 PM »

Thanks for the reply Alun.  I haven't had the detector long and I haven't been out with it yet.  I was half tempted to have a go in the back garden, just to test it out, but I don't think I'll find anything but junk.  The garden was in a bit of a mess when I first moved in 30 years ago; I remember that there was a lot of rubbish down the far end.

I've bought a book by Dave Crisp (Metal Detecting: All you need to know to get started) and a 2013 copy of Spink's Coins of England & the United Kingdom to be able to identify any coins I may find.

Naively I didn't expect it to be such an arduous task to get permission to detect on council land around here (not that I've tried yet, just going by what you and Dai have said).  I've had a look at the forums a little over the last couple of days and I've obtained a permit from the Crown Estate to detect on their foreshore as this was mentioned.  Apart from that I've done nothing but read.

Thanks for the kind offer too Smiley.

you never know where or what you will find your garden is definitely worth A search
On Wednesday I was on the beach detecting and had gone back to the car for A sandwich and coffee when A boke and his wife came over for A chat  they had been  on holiday for A week.  He was telling me about his mate who Years ago  had bought A new house and was there helping him to landscape his garden while they were clearing some old rocks and bushes adjoining the garden  they found An old small bag it was all rotten and when the lifted it out there were some pieces of metal stuck to it and in  the soil . So what was left of the bag they found and the objects  they took them to someone and found out they were roman coins so it just shows you never know what's in your garden remember it hasn't always been A garden and soil does get transported all over the country worth A look and gives you practice with your new detector  Wink
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 07:45:45 PM by congerman » Logged
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 08:21:35 PM »

I'm new here and I've been wondering if anyone on here from the Briton Ferry area knows what the score is on detecting in Shelone Woods?  Is it allowed and, if so, who would I have to get in touch with to ask for permission?  I'm assuming it'd probably be Neath Port Talbot council or somebody. 

I've just had a new metal detector off my girlfriend for my birthday (Visua MD10) and I'm struggling to think of areas in the local vicinity (I don't drive) apart from Aberavon beach where I could detect.
Hi Venger, There's a very friendly chap on here called Badger Wink he owns most of Aberavon beach and can be found on it in all weathers especially winter, I'm sure he would give permission Huh Wink
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 08:21:30 AM »

when i started .i was doing old footpaths in my area without any problems and also an abandoned park,yes i know its not allowed before you purists start but i never had any hassle as most of these were overgrown or abandonded,i would never dig holes all over a modern footpath.
 i would recomend you join a local club and go on rallies

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
Venger
Rally attendee

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 09:05:47 AM »

Thanks for the replies Congerman and Badger.  I may have a go in the garden later but it's raining now and I have to go to town later (day off today Smiley ). 

I assume rallies take place on the weekend with the clubs?  I ask because my weekends are normally pretty busy as I'm still playing football at 39 for Briton Ferry (hence the team photo as my avatar).
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 05:46:03 PM »

swansea club are arranging farms that you could turn up at anytime if your interested come meet the members at the coopers arms plasmarl this wednesday .meetings start around 7.30pm

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
peppermintpatty
Rally attendee

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 06:31:13 PM »

Don't know how old this post is but I approached the council regarding shelone woods and they told it me it was leased to the community council. When I rang the community council they told me that they stopped leasing it years ago. I rang the coun8back but they insisted they only owned the wooded areas but not the open area (where youngsters camp and light fires)
Greg

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 11:11:52 PM »

If you want to know who has ownership of any land, for a small fee the Land Registry will send you the information.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal