Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Beach detecting, pulse induction  (Read 10630 times)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 07:35:24 PM »

423? You probably ran out of ink Pat Cheesy
cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2013, 08:35:29 PM »

Thanks Neil for posting my picture again. I recently came across a notebook record of our ring finds starting on the 5th May 1977 up to 8thJan 1989 the total was 423 but not all gold, some silver. This was  some by my wife and in the early days some also by my son. In those days I was still working and this was only on weekends. For some reason I stopped keeping a record at that day, probably got lazy in my old age !!

Pat Wink Wink
Were most of these found on Barry Island Pat. 1977 was in the early days of Cardiff Scan Club and I remember regularly going there with Barrie (The Jinx) and the late Graham Mould. We would regularly find rings in those days. My best was two gold rings on the wet sand after a storm. They came out in the last 15 minutes and the holes were filling with water as I was digging. Both were Victorian and 22ct and 18ct. I still have them today. Does Barry Island still give them up as frequently today?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 08:42:26 PM by cardiffian » Logged

Hammered                 5         
Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
Disc brooches             2
Med. silver annular brooch
Lady Marian
Rally attendee

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 07:33:08 AM »

barry beach like porthcawl/aberavon has100's of rings on them just waiting to be found just at the moment they also have in excess of 2-3ft of extra sand on them. theres not a pulse or multi freq detector out there that can get the depth you need to reach the goodies but hopefully over the winter month's the sand levels will drop and the rings will start showing up again
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 09:58:26 AM »

correct the beaches have also just had a re load with the dry weather.when the sand goes get in there and you will do well.when the sand goes i will be out every tide i can.porthcawl is a hard beach ,there musts be thousands of rings on there but they are over a meter deep
 barry island has had a right hammering over the years but should hold fresh drops.

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 02:01:57 PM »

I'm reading all of this with renewed interest.

I've got a White's PI, which I bought for another reason, but have never used (the stie was too noisy).

I've been tempted by beaches, but hearing that in the summer there so much more sand on them is really interesting - and also that the low tide margin in winter is good.

I don't have the waterproof headphones on mine as I had to cut them off and replace them (or rather get woodbob to do it for me!) as they were cream crackered.....

Maybe I'll make it to Barry this winter Smiley - especially as it is just down the road from where I normally detect Smiley
ancientpat

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 04:09:11 PM »

Hi Alan,
A good number did come from Barry but also Porthcawl and one or two from Aberavon.
I had a half sovereign also from Aberavon and my wife had one from Barry. My son Kevin had a  Sovereign and a half from Barry, and a large ring with a sovereign from Porthcawl. I am quite sure that all the popular beaches still have plenty on them when the sand is right. Barry has had millions of trippers over the years since Victorian times, just look at the old pictures of Barry, I remember in the years after the last war before air travel started you would  find it difficult to find a place to sit on the sand.

Pat Wink Wink
ancientpat

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 04:12:55 PM »

By the way, being an accountant I always used a pencil, easier to correct your mistakes.

Pat Wink Wink
cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2013, 04:34:22 PM »

Hi Pat. I remember the old pre decimal silver coins coming up consistently all the way across the beach in a very wide swathe. They always seemed to follow the same pattern when surfacing. I don't think it was just down to the numbers on the beach. There was an author (Stuart ?) who had a long series of books out on Wales. I remember seeing early pictures in one of his books of sort of sail boats on wheels. They would go across the beach selling refreshments to the bathers. That could be another reason as to why so many came up on the wet sand. They were lost while doing transactions right down to the low water mark. Anyone else aware of this? 

Hammered                 5         
Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
Disc brooches             2
Med. silver annular brooch
Lady Marian
Rally attendee

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2013, 04:52:22 PM »

theres one spot on barry beach i used to get a lot of farthings and only farthings someone did tell me what was being sold from a barrow there but i've forgot now Cheesy
ancientpat

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2013, 06:44:29 PM »

Yes Alan you are right about the selling from boats on the beach and the books you mentioned were by Stuart Williams, I have few in my bookcase. The one thing I have never worked out among all the hundreds and hundreds of coins off the beach you very rarely find halfcrowns. It wasn't unusual to find anything up to 40 to 50 coins in a search mostly copper and small silver .

Pat Wink Wink
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2013, 08:01:28 PM »

i get a couple of half crowns but the more modern ones each year

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal