Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Metal Detecting A Funny Old Game  (Read 1596 times)
the-BANGOR-citizan

« on: July 19, 2013, 07:38:30 PM »

Well what a crazy week I have had. I am lucky enough to live in a area steeped in History but unfortunately a huge area of it is a Scheduled area so no detecting. Have got plenty of permissions scattered around but all productive land that has given me a wealth of finds over the seven or eight years I have been at it. Like all of us you get your good days and your bad days, you cuss the weather, etc, etc. But where does fate fit into it all. I am lucky enough to have a long term partner and family and we happen to have about seventy acres passed on by my partners family in a secluded situation which I am quietly improving and updating but rarely detect due to the trashing the area took forty years ago when they improved the ground and ditched a mass of old trees that had died. The four Denarii I found last Friday is now in double figures and a Roman Trumpet Brooch as well.  I have stopped because the signals are still there and are to be investigated by CPAT on Monday.l Unbelievable I am shocked, BUT they said to detect around to see what else is there but start about ten metres away from the coin finds.Well folks first signal I found this. I know what it is but can anyone else guess. Needless to say I stopped straight away and will wait for CPAT on Monday. Detecting it,s a funny old game.

* 007.JPG (122.12 KB, 1010x335 - viewed 1401 times.)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 07:54:14 PM by the-BANGOR-citizan » Logged

Remember Farrar Road
Farmer Phil (always remembered)
carling

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 07:43:47 PM »

arrow or spear head ,,either 1 is great Grin well found.
the-BANGOR-citizan

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 07:48:36 PM »

Spearhead, correct Paul. Period Middle Bronze Age Copper Alloy and the second found in the area. I think it is a Deposistion ( offering to the springs ) and the tip deliberately broke to render it  unusable. I am sure Chef will correct me if I am wrong.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 07:51:05 PM by the-BANGOR-citizan » Logged

Remember Farrar Road
Farmer Phil (always remembered)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 08:04:06 PM »

A lovely lovely find Paul, yep a looped and socketed spearhead, middle to late Bronze Age c.1450-900 BC. Possibly made in North Wales Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 08:35:03 PM »

Lucky, lucky Paul and on your doorstep. I hope you keep us up dated on out come.

I've often wondered if there might be anything deep down at the bottom of my big field. It used to be a lake in days gone by and was drained by National Grid when the power lines and pylons were erected.
There is evidence of Bronze Age settlement all around here but I have never bothered trying it out. The Grand Son of the owner at the time told me 3 generations have dumped rubbish in there so I figured it would be a worthless task. Makes you wonder though.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Discrim-Me

Everybody in its spitting

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 10:40:15 AM »

Very Very nice find that fella,you must be well pleased with that one Cool  The new permissions my friend and I have secured are known sites of battles,   http://www.fflint.co.uk/400.html  , I believe it wont be long before we hit on arrowheads,daggers,axeheads etc,at the moment were just covering the ground grid by grid,its gonna take a while but as you know slow and steady always wins the race hehe.  Grin   

You need to have walked in the deepest valley to appreciate the magnificence of standing on the highest mountain.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 11:54:57 AM »

I hope you're digging all your iron signals Discrim-Me as from the period you're chasing all arms and armour would have been iron.
Arrowheads from that time can look not much different from nails by now (dependant on soil) but the critical evidence will be the location of each find relative to each other, so I'm hoping you're using GPS. Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal