Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: THE MEMBERS THAT FOUND HOARDS  (Read 14983 times)
coleggwent(phil)
Superhero Member

explorer xs user

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 05:50:25 PM »

this is one of the pics

theres gold in them hills
explorer xs one of the best
sodbuster
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 06:08:20 PM »

Judginig by the details on the drawings , they look to be in really condition .
 Did they mention if they had been manufactured on the site that you found them ?
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 06:11:41 PM »

They gave me mine back  which i shared then with the famer, well done boys on the other hoards  ,  don't it just make your day  lol
Alan

coleggwent(phil)
Superhero Member

explorer xs user

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 06:32:02 PM »

they did dig a test pit were i found them and they wanted the horad for the display in the museum which they give me £1000 for i had 500 of that which is not alot for wat it was dont you agree Huh

DIG IT! (ADIE)

X-TERRA 70 user explorer 11

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 06:38:05 PM »

Lovely hoard phil .I think you was short changed with that valuation though ! Sad

Heavy metal nut that digs loads of iron
Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2009, 06:42:16 PM »

Some nice finds there guys. Pleasantly surprised at how much stuff has been put into museums by people on this forum. And Ade was right Phil, that hoard was undervalued.
coleggwent(phil)
Superhero Member

explorer xs user

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »

yes i gest that but the thing i was not happy with is the other party which is glascoed council did not want there half of the money and i still only got half the money my point is why should they get the hoard for 50% of its value i may sound a bit greedy hear but not at all this is why i dont look at them in same way as before but im so glad its in the museum for everone to see Wink regards phil

Charles Cater

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2009, 07:03:56 PM »

This is what I donated to the National Museum of Wales in Cardiff. Go and ask to look at it, I'll bet they will say they have not got it.

I suspect that the lead seal was not delivered to them. It was feature in the book called The Rev.Dr. David Wliiams on "Welsh Seals" whih can be purchased from the museum.

On the seal it says  - X madoci P madoci
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 07:15:26 PM by Charles Cater » Logged

Say nought and you won't be controversial, or so they say?

http://detectoruser.co.uk

http://members.boardhost.com/Tom1/
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2009, 07:12:55 PM »

charles nice seal, phil great story that and after only two weeks of detecting great stuff m8, Grin
Superhero Member

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2009, 07:17:19 PM »

we hads 2 bits of luck that day,  not only did i find a hoard but my detecting mate who was out with me too,

Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2009, 07:21:10 PM »

what a great day for you both ALAN Grin.............. lovely finds
coleggwent(phil)
Superhero Member

explorer xs user

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2009, 07:22:42 PM »

what in the same field alan wat a day out mate  Wink

Superhero Member

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2009, 07:33:26 PM »

Thanks Cas and Phil  yes, in the same field on the same day,  iv'e got the story  about the day floating around some where,
 Cheers now
 Alan

DIG IT! (ADIE)

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2009, 07:33:42 PM »

I will explain what the hoard was that i posted earlier.It consists of a neck collar and two bangles of which one of the bangles had a part missing which was found at a later date by none other than our own peter H.It was found in 2005 by my mate brian and myself.I think brian should take most of the plaudits as he found the neck collar .But when he showed me what he had found iwas in shock !I was at the spot as quick as a ferret up a drainpipe.I scanned the area for any faint signals and immediately got one.Because it was on stubble the ground was pretty soft so i dug down about 9 inches and pulled out three quarters of a bangle with punchdot and chevron design with a dark green patina on it.It was about two feet away from the collar.Me and brian decided there could be more so decided to call mark lodwick.Mark decided to come down to the findspot as he was nearby on another dig.When he seen the finds he expressed he had not seen anything like them before !He marked the spot and asked if we could come down the next day to watch an excavation and to bring our detectors to check the spoil heap.The next day we met at the site and mark and adam started their excavation .I went for a roam and within half an our i was holding a palstave axehead which was about 300 yards from the other site but thats another story,   any way we went back to see mark and he informed us that they had found another bangle with human wrist bone attached.They cut a section out around the bangle and took all the finds to cardiff museum and declared them treasure trove.We were later told that they were dated to approximately 80 AD and probably belonged to a lady due to the size of the collar  romano british .One year later they were valued at 5000 pounds of which half went to the farmer and the rest split between the two of us.they now reside in the early wales section of the cdiff museum.I better shut up now Grin

DIG IT! (ADIE)

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2009, 07:44:54 PM »

This is the collar at the museum and what is nice it is labelled underneath as THE BOVERTON COLLAR found by detectorists ADrian p and brian g and guess who opened the new section of the museum !none other than our great friend MICK ASTON! Didnt talk to him just gave him a smug smile Wink

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal