Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Herd of cows? Of course I've heared of cows.  (Read 19393 times)
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« on: June 20, 2013, 09:20:05 PM »

There was a discussion on here a couple of weeks ago about the
danger of metal detecting near cows. what happened to me tonight I swear is absolutely true.
                                     I went out for an hour tonight  on my local permission,
in the first field there were only two cows , so I kept a close eye on them and started detecting.
moved onto the second field which was empty, after about a  1/4 of an hour some cows had entered the field behind me from somewhere and started heading towards me cutting off my way
out of the field. so I made a way through a hedge into a third field, only to be met by
more pregnant cows and some with calves. I quickly edged my way across the field and on reaching the other side unoticed or so I thought, I decided to make my way slowly along a fence
hoping that once i got to the top I could exit by a gate. Then all hell broke loose about 5 or 6
cows formed a line and started slowly towards me then speeded up, I started to run and so did they. The fence in question was the square wire type with a single strand of wire about six inches above.
                                    Picture a 51 year old handsome man {ok that parts not true I'm nearly 52 }
with a spade in one hand , a metal detector attached to me by a bungee cord, diving over that
fence. I cleared it. I looked around and I swear those cows were laughing at me.The only way back to the van was to walk in an old dried up canal which was full of leaves and mud,and
brambles, along the length of the field watched closely by the cows who followed me all the way,
albeit on the other side of the fence. Was I glad to get home .
 BEWARE COWS ARE DANGEROUS. the next time I want to see one is in a burger

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
jaydogg

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 10:21:19 PM »

Had more or less the same experience the other week - a group of cows ran from me, re-grouped with more cows and charged at me! Sounds like you had a lucky escape Dryland.  Cheesy
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 11:34:35 PM »

lucky escape, my physiotherapist would have been proud of me lol

mrstonytrees

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 06:39:31 AM »

My husband and I were out in the snow about 20 years ago rabbiting and it was just about dusk. We were walking in single file and I was at the back. Uknown to me a cow and calf had followed me on the other side of the fence and in the snow I didn't hear them sneaking up. Next thing , a very loud "moooo" in my ear! I jumped and fell into a drainage ditch - my husband was laughing so much he couldn't get me out!

Much respect to cows -ninjas in disguise!! Grin
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 08:14:29 AM »

One thing I learned was that they don't like the tones  from the detector. It was a hot day and my ears were red hot from the phones so I decided to take them off and un-plug them and went on my way. I soon became aware of a ruckus in the next field. There must have been about 50 + youngsters in there. Some had been following me along the hedge and at the sound off the detector they went ape. They had just been interested before and quite calm. Behaviour was soon picked up by the others and there was mayhem, youngsters running wildly in all directions and boy can they run.
I was never so glad to be the other side of a hedge.

Val 

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
brisad
Rally attendee

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 03:31:56 PM »

Those of ewe who know Corwen will no doubt have passed Lord Newboroughs place? he now keeps some bison......

I had permission to collect daphnia (water fleas) from a pond in One of the fields I had no problem with cows the herds got rotated......... BUT I didn't know the Black herd was a load of young Aberdeen angus were blooming bulls!  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked I had a bucket of pondwater full of daphnia in One hand a net in the other and I looked up to find them too close to me........ the cows usually just looked at you then dismissed you but these things were stood abreast and were moving towards me with malicious intent...... I took off...... water sloshing over me........ the sound of hoofbeats thundering through my heart....... I made the fence a few feet ahead of the damn things  Shocked I have emphysema and the A5 was on the other side of the fence............ when I next went to the estate managers office I told him the story much to his amusement and he then told me they are "just inquisitive" and as I had a bucket with me they thought they were getting a treat...... they did! watching me legging it puffing and panting 200 yards in 1.5 seconds well nearly.

I had great delight when they opened the farm shop, they were selling pure Aberdeen Angus burgers cooked and frozen  Grin I bought a cooked One and it was so nice I bought a stack for the freezer.......
apart from being probably the best burger I have ever had I thought that revenge is not always a dish served cold!  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 06:43:22 PM »

Can't beat a good chuckle, especially at someone else expense.  It was the bucket of water that did it for me. Grin

Val

celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 06:54:46 PM »

There was a discussion on here a couple of weeks ago about the
danger of metal detecting near cows. what happened to me tonight I swear is absolutely true.
                                     I went out for an hour tonight  on my local permission,
in the first field there were only two cows , so I kept a close eye on them and started detecting.
moved onto the second field which was empty, after about a  1/4 of an hour some cows had entered the field behind me from somewhere and started heading towards me cutting off my way
out of the field. so I made a way through a hedge into a third field, only to be met by
more pregnant cows and some with calves. I quickly edged my way across the field and on reaching the other side unoticed or so I thought, I decided to make my way slowly along a fence
hoping that once i got to the top I could exit by a gate. Then all hell broke loose about 5 or 6
cows formed a line and started slowly towards me then speeded up, I started to run and so did they. The fence in question was the square wire type with a single strand of wire about six inches above.
                                    Picture a 51 year old handsome man {ok that parts not true I'm nearly 52 }
with a spade in one hand , a metal detector attached to me by a bungee cord, diving over that
fence. I cleared it. I looked around and I swear those cows were laughing at me.The only way back to the van was to walk in an old dried up canal which was full of leaves and mud,and
brambles, along the length of the field watched closely by the cows who followed me all the way,
albeit on the other side of the fence. Was I glad to get home .
 BEWARE COWS ARE DANGEROUS. the next time I want to see one is in a burger

Had a close encounter with some me self last year dryland, but as these couldn't get at me because I whipped over a fence and detected in another field for a few hours I thought bad luck suckers Grin Grin, only to find they decided to take it out on my 4x4 I stupidly parked in an adjoining field along a hedge row Sad Sad I tell you what its not just there horns that done the damage but those bloody ear tags we all dig up, they used it as a rubbing post Cry Cry
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 09:59:32 PM »

OUCH ! lol  Grin Grin

hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 12:13:42 AM »

I don't trust the buggers at all  Angry pretending to be stupid then creeping up behind you in gangs  Kiss

I've had a couple of close calls recently with horned sheep, think sheep with horns and a very bad attitude. I had one the other night stare at me for ages then come over for a closer look, I pointed my shovel at him and shouted bugger off only to be confronted with head down and a trot in my direction  Undecided luckily I had some rocks to climb up but it got the old ticker racing. Thing is I daren't lay a finger on the things as they are bred for showing and are worth around £500 quid a head. I'll be glad when it gets colder and they get stuck in the shed for the winter.

XP Deus user
monkeymad

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 07:30:32 AM »

I don't trust the buggers at all  Angry pretending to be stupid then creeping up behind you in gangs  Kiss

I've had a couple of close calls recently with horned sheep, think sheep with horns and a very bad attitude. I had one the other night stare at me for ages then come over for a closer look, I pointed my shovel at him and shouted bugger off only to be confronted with head down and a trot in my direction  Undecided luckily I had some rocks to climb up but it got the old ticker racing. Thing is I daren't lay a finger on the things as they are bred for showing and are worth around £500 quid a head. I'll be glad when it gets colder and they get stuck in the shed for the winter.

I thought sheep were supposed to be calm and friendly!!! What have you been doing Will to make them all angry Grin Grin Grin is the clue in the start, a field of horny sheep  Grin Grin Grin

couldn't resist that one.

Marcus Porcius Purpurio

2013 finds:-
Hammered x6
centenary medal x1
Fob seal matrix x1
Tons of other bits now.
hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 07:36:48 AM »

I thought sheep were supposed to be calm and friendly!!! What have you been doing Will to make them all angry Grin Grin Grin is the clue in the start, a field of horny sheep  Grin Grin Grin

couldn't resist that one.

What have I been doing to the sheep to make them angry?

You disgust me!  Wink Grin

XP Deus user
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 08:07:50 AM »

Rams are the ones to watch out for. If you see a sheep with a harness on then keep an eye on it, it's male not female. If it see's you as a threat it will have a go at you.
My neighbour, when we lived in Shropshire, had one who took a dislike to the Mrs. and made a bee line for her every time she went in the field. It knocked her flying a few times before they got rid of it.
Ewes can be protective as well. Watch out for head down, snorting and stamping of feet.  If the Ba-Ram-Ewe talk doesn't work then watch out, your trespassing.

Val

hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 08:29:36 AM »

Rams are the ones to watch out for. If you see a sheep with a harness on then keep an eye on it, it's male not female. If it see's you as a threat it will have a go at you.
My neighbour, when we lived in Shropshire, had one who took a dislike to the Mrs. and made a bee line for her every time she went in the field. It knocked her flying a few times before they got rid of it.
Ewes can be protective as well. Watch out for head down, snorting and stamping of feet.  If the Ba-Ram-Ewe talk doesn't work then watch out, your trespassing.

Val

They can shift as well when they want to! No way I could outrun one if I had to leg it some distance.  Shocked

I've been warned that the next couple of months is breeding season so they will be  extra agitated so I'm keeping well away from them.

XP Deus user
brisad
Rally attendee

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 11:56:18 AM »

Hmmm!

Sheep always run away from me!.........................

Must be my aftershave  Roll Eyes

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal