Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Herd of cows? Of course I've heared of cows.  (Read 19200 times)
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 03:01:35 PM »

99.5% of sheep do run away.  It's the 0.5% you've got to watch out for. You must have been lucky so far. Wink

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 03:18:02 PM »

Hmmm!

Sheep always run away from me!.........................

Must be my aftershave  Roll Eyes

Normal sheep do, these are sheep with a bad attitude, they're tooled up with a set of horns and they're not afraid to use them  Cheesy

XP Deus user
cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 08:48:17 PM »

Had a close encounter with some me self last year dryland, but as these couldn't get at me because I whipped over a fence and detected in another field for a few hours I thought bad luck suckers Grin Grin, only to find they decided to take it out on my 4x4 I stupidly parked in an adjoining field along a hedge row Sad Sad I tell you what its not just there horns that done the damage but those bloody ear tags we all dig up, they used it as a rubbing post Cry Cry
This has a familiar ring to it Celticspikey. I parked my car in a similar fashion. As I headed along a hedgerow to get to the gate in to the next field I passed where my car was on the other side. I could hear a metallic noise coming from where it was. When I got to the gate I found that my car was surrounded by a load of heifers. I thought If I startle them they would bolt and damage the car badly so I decided to come back a bit later. When I returned they had scarpered but I was aghast at the state of my car. One wing mirror was dangling by the cable, another was also damaged and there was a dent in one wing. On top of this all the windows and paintwork was smeared with thick saliva. The embarrassment driving home through Dorchester town centre and getting strange looks when I was stopped at traffic lights was the worse of it!!! The saliva, or their tongues badly marked the paintwork. I was trying to sell it at the time and had to drop the price. It also took me weeks to live down the embarrassment at work. Smiley Smiley Grin Grin
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 08:51:20 PM by cardiffian » Logged

Hammered                 5         
Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
Disc brooches             2
Med. silver annular brooch
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 09:50:17 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy I shouldn't laugh but you've painted such a good picture. I've had them just rum themselves against the car and their fur with mud on is as good as any sandpaper Sad

The reason that heifers and bullocks will chase you is because you give them something to chase ie run away, if you raise your arms and run at them they won't hang about, they'll be off smartish.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 09:55:02 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 10:13:04 PM »

Well I'm not about to test your theory Geoff. I'm not quite that desperate yet. Some of the farmers are doing a 3rd cut so I just have to be patient a bit longer and then I can have a field all to myself. I much prefer it that way. Wink

Val

brisad
Rally attendee

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 05:54:45 AM »

Chef

With Val on this, I survived one stampede and dont want to try again! the only exercise I need is as follows:

raising my eyebrows
pushing my luck
jumping to conclusions
jogging my memory
wiping a runny nose
using my chuckle muscles
raising my blood pressure
straining my eyes
etc
NickDavies
Rally attendee

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2013, 09:48:06 AM »

I've had a similar experience the local permission i have has 280 diary cows, one day i was detecting a field that the cows were returning to (totally unaware of this) I was dead centre of the field when i heard some heavy foot prints and as i lifted my head there they were entering through the gate! They stopped and stared for a second and then decided to come closer, slowly at first then like you said getting quicker! They must have obviously felt good and energtic about loosing a couple of pounds of milk and started stampeeding towatds me! My run turned into a sprint so fast i hardly noticed the erect electric cow fence in the middle of the field to say the voltage on it was more than what i was expecting was an understatment. But i was safe! I did manage to discover if you touch an electric fence while holding your detector it makes it go off haha

Things we do for fun!

It's there, you just have to look for it!
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2013, 01:14:53 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy I shouldn't laugh but you've painted such a good picture. I've had them just rum themselves against the car and their fur with mud on is as good as any sandpaper Sad

The reason that heifers and bullocks will chase you is because you give them something to chase ie run away, if you raise your arms and run at them they won't hang about, they'll be off smartish.

Yes, I agree Chef - when ever I have to walk through a field of cows I don't run - I'll turn around and hold my detector out horizontally to make myself look bigger and then they usually go awa. I don't usually get worried about them, except when they are being a bit frisky with each other - even the bulls are ok as long as they got a few cows to keep them company.

I remember when I was younger and my parents had a roman-dig (at the farm I detect at) we would frequently come back to find the cows had tried to lick the salt off the car windows.

It was always sheep with lambs that we were more wary of - they could be quite aggresive when they wanted to be.
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2013, 10:04:19 PM »

YIPEE YI OHHHHHHH,   WHEN ALL AT ONCE A MIGHTY HERD OF RED EYED COWS SHE SAW......................Yes I tested all of the above advice this afternoon. And I'm still alive but minus one life.
Head down, digging a tump, in my own little world of hope and then I heard them. I looked up and saw 'a mighty herd' running strait at me. 35 young Heifers, fresh out of the weaning shed. Wont repeat what I said but it wasn't lady-like and then I was gone, trying to remember all the above advice as I went. DONT RUN, MAKE YOURSELF LOOK BIG, DONT PANIC.
Needles to say they ran much quicker than I could walk backwards with arms outstretched, spade in one hand and detector in the other (had to keep an eye on them) and I ended up in the middle of them. Luckily the Farmer appeared minuets later with a bag of feed in hand and I put a brave face on it and pretended to usher them towards him. Roll Eyes
Must admit that not one of them actually touched me. Spoke to the Farmer over their heads and he volunteered to shut the gate if I was going. Did he really think I might stay. Shocked That's 6 fields I wont go in for a few weeks. They're interconnected and gates all open. Oh well, on to the next. Cry

Val

Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2013, 10:21:58 PM »

Scary stuff Val....... just reading the daily mail on line, a 60 year old dog walker in Cambridgeshire got trampled yesterday he is now seriously ill in hospital Undecided
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2013, 10:39:08 PM »

Ha Ha Val that brought tears to my eyes

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2013, 05:03:56 PM »

There's not a cow been born that bothers The Chef!

* DSCN3556.JPG (76.7 KB, 571x237 - viewed 646 times.)

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2013, 05:12:54 PM »

rofl .. that would make a great caption competition!

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2013, 08:54:42 PM »

My reply to the caption would be........................Gawd, they don't know what I am since that Vet had his way with me.

They look like Bullocks to me. Roll Eyes

Val

Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2013, 09:07:08 PM »

Has Geoff got an invisible detector Grin

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal