Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: disapointed with the welsh museum !!  (Read 11192 times)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 08:36:35 PM »

There is a time disparity with all FLO'S in that finds picked up at club meeting generally have to be completed in a month ready for the next meeting, those taken in to an FLO have more of an open ended time frame which probably means that they tend to be put on the back boiler.
But the point of this thread was that Ray's obvious treasure find hasn't been handled as is normally the case Huh
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 08:44:22 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 08:56:45 PM »

There is definitely something wrong with the system in Wales as according to the statistics on PAS regarding the amount of finds added to the database in 2012. Somerset had 1825 while the whole of Wales added just 240............................... Roll Eyes
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 09:51:14 PM »

It isn't just 'in the hand' finds that aren't being processed.

Two years ago I pointed out a site to a visiting Archaeologist, who at the time was very excited about it. She went away, armed with aerial photos and co-ordinates. What happened.......NOTHING.
One year ago I volunteered to join a new programme for locals for Coastal Observation, different Archaeologist in charge and different area. I mentioned the site in question and asked if he had any information. Needless to say he'd heard nothing about it even though it was in his area. He sent my E.Mail and more information, including LIDAR data of the site on to the original Archaeologist and assured me that it would be added to their records as a site of significance though it was unlikely they would be able to afford a dig. What happened next...........NOTHING. not even a note to say thanks. This site is some 130m round, so not small. You'd think it would be worth a look, wouldn't you.
I now ask myself,   why bother. Maybe I should have said I'd found a Roman site. Huh

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 09:59:49 PM »

Well my experience.

All the stuff I hand in at which-ever club gets returned promptly - to whichever club I handed it in to, with a nice report which I can show the farmer.

I have one treasure case at the moment. I photographed, weighed and identified the items and on the advice of Mark I informed the coroner myself within 36 hours of the find. I took the items to Mark myself, so I got a 'receipt'.

My father has told everyone in the museum and Cardiff Archs, so quite a few people have enquired about the items and looked at them (although Edward Besley seemed a bit unware of them a few months after they were handed in).

Since then, everytime I see Mark I ask about it - he did tell me that 'the report should be ready by April' (i.e about 5 months). It isn't and I haven't heard anything from the museum or the coroner and I handed them in so quickly that all the farmer has seen is some photos I took (I have a photo of both sides of every item). Ok, so it is early days yet, but - (and I don't blame Mark for this) - by law I have to hand things in within 2 weeks / notify at least, but then it takes months for anything to happen the other way (and there aren't that many treasure cases each year - last year there were 970 I think). I'm also a bit disappointed that no-one has been out to the site either, although again, it's trying to find a time when Edward Besley can make it as he is so busy......

It just seems a bit frustrating - and I just want to see the farmer recompensed in his lifetime......
outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 05:04:46 AM »

I think Chef has hit it on the head. The largest clubs seem to have the upper hand in the time frame of submitting and getting back artefacts for recording.

However, in my mind, we all as responsible detectorists are encouraged to submit finds to pas scheme, the smaller clubs in other areas of Wales and individuals should not have to wait  over 6 months for the return of items. ( especially when telling land owners that items classed as recordable are normally returned within 2 months, and then drift into 6  + months, they can start to think you've walked off with the items )

There has been funding cuts and I believe job losses at the Wales National Musuem.

The system should be improved. I appreciate the topic started by Ray is hijacked and apologise.

mrsmarky123
Rally attendee

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2013, 06:30:16 AM »

I put in my silver bodkin early this year as it was declared treasure , i hope it goes smoothly , what time frame should i expect a letter from the coroner ?
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2013, 08:05:52 AM »

Really interesting thread guys - keep it going.

From my experience I have always found Mark immensely helpfull, but thoroughly under resourced. It does very much feel like he's a one man team, which is clearly not sufficient for the size of the area and the number of people detecting.

Items I have handed in to Mark would always come back promptly with an informative report. Although like others I have struggled to find them recorded on PAS. I agree with Cheffy that this is why there is such a disparity in the number of finds recorded in Wales to the rest of the UK.

Regarding Treasure - I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, but found the "pick a value from the air" valuation process bizarre to say the least. "Oh, you don't agree with our valuation? Okay heres some more money?" It just reminds me of selling a used car, in that they basically haggle the price up in small amounts untill you accept it. Smiley

Interesting debate

Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Dungbeetle
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2013, 08:27:30 AM »

I have recorded finds with Mark Lodwick up here in North Wales, there is a three month wait until finds are returned when he visits again. I've found him to be very informative but the scheme is under funded and Wales is a large area to cover. I'm still looking for a treasure item but it will come.
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2013, 08:51:24 AM »

I totally agree that one FLO for the whole of Wales is mad to say the least. At a DW rally last year a volunteer attended in place of Mark and while she did a sterling job I was sat behind her van Id'ing finds using my books, quite bizarre Roll Eyes
There are three main stages of recording, the first is the recording itself, next is the raising the record to public view and lastly is the record being validated by a third party.
It would appear that the first is being carried out but as to the other two stages  Huh
But once again this doesn't solve Rays situation which is that his "should be" treasure case has not been handled in the correct way.

Mark, I have always had a coroners letter within a month of registering a treasure find.
Jassy
Superhero Member

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2013, 09:11:28 PM »

Oh no don't say that! I handed something in at our last club meeting, probably the oldest thing I've found..... it's not classed as treasure , it's a bronze thingy......

Everything happens for a reason.....
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2013, 10:03:20 PM »

what's a bronze thingy ? lol is that the same as a bronze doo dah ? Grin Grin

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
Jassy
Superhero Member

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2013, 10:05:06 PM »

Yes the very same!!! Hehheee!
god knows what it is, just something I found on the beach Smiley

Everything happens for a reason.....
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2013, 06:47:43 AM »

Yes the very same!!! Hehheee!
god knows what it is, just something I found on the beach Smiley

I found Mrs H on the beach .... where do i hand her in!!  Grin Grin Grin