Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ticking time bombs! 'Idiotic' pair pick up unexploded 2ft bombs washed ashore!  (Read 39820 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: May 15, 2013, 08:01:55 AM »

By Anna Edwards

This is the moment two men each casually carried a 2ft-long unexploded bombs after finding them washed ashore.

The pair were pictured with the two potentially deadly rusty 120mm tank shells slung over the shoulders. Stunned onlookers watched as the men strolled past them with the explosives that date back to the Cold War.

Shell-shocked! The walkers were photographed taking the tank shells away from a Dorset beauty spot

It is believed the unidentified pair may have seized the bombs to try and later cash in as scrap metal.

Now the MoD is urgently appealing for them to make urgent contact with the authorities so the ordnance can be safely removed before it blows up.

The shells were found washed up at Warbarrow Bay, Dorset.

The area is part of the 7,000-acre Lulworth Military Range used by the Army for tank firing practice.

A shocked woman who took the picture of the pair on her mobile phone, said: 'I thought they were carrying rugs at first but as they walked past I saw they were enormous shells.

'I was with somebody who used to be in the Army and he said that because their ends were intact, they were unexploded.

'I was really scared. As they were walking past, my little girl was alongside them.

A spokesman for the Ministry of Defence said the shells would have probably been fired from a Chieftain tank. Despite the copious signs about the military firing range, the pair risked death by taking the shells

Another onlooker added: 'What a couple of twits. If you see anything like this you should always call the police, not cart it on home.'

A member of the public posted on a local internet message board that the men were candidates for the Darwin Awards, a tongue-in-cheek term for people who take themselves out of the gene pool via death.

However, another poster commented: 'What's the problem? One man's scrap is another's treasure.'
A spokesman for the Ministry of Defence said the shells would have probably been fired from a Chieftain tank or a Wombat anti-tank rifle used by the Army in the 70s and 80s.

The MoD is appealing for the two men, or anyone who knows their identity, to contact them as a matter of urgency

Onlookers branded the reckless pair 'idiotic' and 'twits' for taking such a huge risk and endangering others' lives

He said: 'The MoD takes the safety of the public extremely seriously and all pathways at Lulworth Ranges that are open to the public are cleared of military debris, including shells, before access is permitted.

'A number of signs have been placed on-site warning members of the public of the dangers of venturing from authorised pathways and removing shells.
'Unfortunately there are instances where these warnings are ignored.
'The MoD urges public using the ranges to keep to the designated pathways and be advised that it is extremely dangerous to touch any military material they may find.
'These shells are not something anyone should be picking up.'
The MoD is appealing for the two men, or anyone who knows their identity, to contact them as a matter of urgency.

* article-2324672-19C80AFD000005DC-782_634x504.jpg (81.43 KB, 634x504 - viewed 1343 times.)

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 12:04:59 PM »

Umbelievable thats something shunggav wud do

shunggav

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 12:48:04 PM »

Lol alun I know u wood be giving me a hand to carry the other side

The chicken came first – God would look silly sitting on an egg...... if u like me add me on facebook........ gavin  warren
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 01:07:26 PM »

I've heared of collecting sea SHELLS as a hobby, but this is rediculous

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 03:22:33 PM »

What i don't quite understand is why they would be 'deadly' if they had been fired already (unless they have a secondary explosive in them).

They don't look particularly rusty either.

If they were lost in the sea before they were fired then that's quite careless.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 03:45:34 PM »

Because they haven't exploded, they're not bullets, they have a detonator in the nose cone (either time or pressure). An artillery round is a ground to ground bomb Wink
Da Monkey
Superhero Member

secret CTX LuVVeeerrrrrr

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 05:02:16 PM »

More to the point what the hell are they doing lying around on a public access beach ! When there are radical elements around that would love some device like this to bring havoc they leave them lying around on a beach  !  Are we sure this isn't a wind up ??

BOOOOMMMM  BABBBBEEHHHHH!!! I've found even more old tat !!!     Grin Grin
Tor
Rally attendee

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 05:10:41 PM »

Luckily they don't seem to be metal detectorists but they should get "idiot 1st class" medals.

XP Deus
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 08:14:57 PM »

they would luverly polished up either side of my telly lol Cheesy

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
keepmateethinajar

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 09:41:52 PM »

and worse thing of all.....is she's got cellulite...... Grin Grin Grin

tis better to have loved a short women....than to never have loved a tall
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 10:30:51 PM »

ha ha ha ha well spotted  Grin Grin

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 07:37:50 PM »

...brings a whole new meaning to the expression "top bombing"

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 08:46:25 PM »

The footpath they were on leads up to the car park at Tyneham. Tyneham was a village taken over by the army during the war and never given back to the inhabitants that were moved out. It is regularly patrolled by army wardens so they were lucky to get away with their haul. The frightening thing is that they would have been driving around with them in the boot of the car. The roads from Tyneham are very steep, narrow and winding. The consequences don't bear thinking about.

Hammered                 5         
Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
Disc brooches             2
Med. silver annular brooch
whosyouruncle

Dig attender

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 07:21:03 PM »

Bet that will go down a bomb .!!

whosyouruncle

Pages: [1]
  Print