Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Badly corroded coins  (Read 2634 times)
Drivertess

« on: April 28, 2013, 03:21:52 PM »

Is it just me or does everyone find a lot of old coins that are so badly corroded that you cannot even make out any detail on them at all. I found some today but all bar one was so bad I couldn't even make out a head on them, they seem to be covered in a thick layer of green residue! I am thinking it maybe the type of soil I am hunting in as even the decimal coins are pretty bad too, most of them are black or orange including the 5p, 10p. 20p & 50p's

Any advice would be appreciated.
alun

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 03:51:32 PM »

Unfortunately its the soil, or possibly any fertilizer which has been spread on the land in the past. Got the same problem, knowing that their hammies and love tokens, but no detail to have them verified. Undecided Had a 1955 three pence last weekend which showed bad signs or degrading, so older coins in this area take a real pasting. Cry
Taken to searching for artefacts in my area for now, hopefully their size will survive a little better.out there.
Stick at it buddy there are other finds
What area you from Drivertess? I am in South Wales, Close to Neath

Roman Artefacts: 6
Gold:         3
Medieval 15
Silver:34
Etrac
AT Pro
Whites
Drivertess

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 01:43:37 AM »

I am in Wrexham, North Wales. The field I am concentrating on currently is on a farm and they have used fertiliser in the past. I have had a couple of reasonable coins however one today I think is a hammered one, my first and it is impossible to see anything on it Sad
dai13
Rally attendee

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 07:07:59 PM »

hi alun i'm in neath and get the same problem
alun

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 06:56:35 PM »

Common problem, would love to get a site where the coins are in a better condition,but that will come eventually.
Might see you around somewhere Dai, I have a permission site in Margam which will be given a rest for a while as the ploughed fields are now developing , so will have to wait till harvest  Undecided
Got another very large pasture site up the valleys which I may need help with in a few weeks, as i am researching the area into medieval site of which a long house and other points have been noted so far, but there is a massive area to be covered and I am only a one man band, so help may be needed  Shocked

Roman Artefacts: 6
Gold:         3
Medieval 15
Silver:34
Etrac
AT Pro
Whites
dai13
Rally attendee

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 10:44:39 AM »

great alun let me know always nice to have a chat have to meet you somewere  one day i'm in aberdulais

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal