Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Not good on small gold  (Read 12770 times)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 09:25:58 PM »

according to the e trac book it is transmitting multiple frequencies simultaneosly . full band spectrum(FBS) simultaneous frequency transmission ranging from 1.5-1000khz so it should pick up gold , i have found a half sovereign a foot down on the beach and a few gold, silver, platinum and titanium ring on the local beaches with my e trac and hammered silver gives a very odd sound .

Oh dear, hear we go again lol
OK the FBS transmit one one frequency only but that frequency has many many harmonic frequencies which the Minelab uses to cross reference against each other to give a more accurate id on targets. The lower noise cancel numbers 1,2 and 3 are better at targeting low conductors as these use higher frequencies.
For people who still think the FBS uses multi frequency, here's a thought for you;
If FBS uses multi frequency then how when two machines are close together can you noise cancel one from the other Huh
 Wink
avalon

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 08:36:22 PM »

If detecting were an Olympic sport,  Minelab would never get gold.  Cheesy

Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 08:48:19 PM »

OUCH !  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 06:37:34 AM »

my etrac gets plenty of gold Grin and trout masters  Wink
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 06:40:29 AM by dances with badgers » Logged

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
carling

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 11:15:41 AM »

gold on a beach is way differant to gold in land,,way easier to find full gold rings {which aint small} on a beach,, i think the originall post meant inland detecting?
Jeff The Wizard

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 05:55:56 PM »

Whilst carrying out a couple of air tests with my Etrac the other night, I noticed it wouldn't pick up a very thin gold ring even at one inch  Cry
At first I thought my machine was coming down with something, then I tried a larger ring, and bingo, it picked it up at about 9 inches  Grin
I was surprised because the second ring wasn't much bigger than the first  Huh  
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 06:00:09 PM by Jeff The Wizard » Logged

If ring pulls and bottle tops were currency I would be a rich man
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 06:02:06 PM »

try testing the rings in wet sand bud Wink

gold = loads lol
jondav

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2013, 06:51:44 PM »

according to the e trac book it is transmitting multiple frequencies simultaneosly . full band spectrum(FBS) simultaneous frequency transmission ranging from 1.5-1000khz so it should pick up gold , i have found a half sovereign a foot down on the beach and a few gold, silver, platinum and titanium ring on the local beaches with my e trac and hammered silver gives a very odd sound .

Oh dear, hear we go again lol
OK the FBS transmit one one frequency only but that frequency has many many harmonic frequencies which the Minelab uses to cross reference against each other to give a more accurate id on targets. The lower noise cancel numbers 1,2 and 3 are better at targeting low conductors as these use higher frequencies.
For people who still think the FBS uses multi frequency, here's a thought for you;
If FBS uses multi frequency then how when two machines are close together can you noise cancel one from the other Huh
 Wink
    Are you saying Geoff, that the highest freq on the Etrac at, i think,14kh approx is better than the lowest available which is about 11khz, at picking up small gold.Presumably ch 1 = 14khz and ch11 = 11khz, am I right so far?.I remember seeing a video where a guy measured the exact frequencies transmitted by the Etrac,there does,nt seem to be much difference between the highest and lowest frequencies available.
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2013, 06:54:27 PM »

why you worryin about small gold get the big gold Wink

gold = loads lol
Jeff The Wizard

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2013, 08:07:29 PM »

Thanks for the tip Badger  Cool
Rumour has it there is only one Gold ring left on Aber beach.
May try and find it tomorrow  Grin
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 08:30:24 PM by Jeff The Wizard » Logged

16.5DD (richard)

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2013, 09:20:22 PM »

Might I just step in and help those afraid to detect using an E-trac minelab detector for small gold.
Having conducted a test that some might be aware of that showed people being unable to pick up some iron age gold.
This was using the E-trac comparing with a shadow mask 1+.
The shadow blew the E-trac away but remember that we are talking about a 1 target.
Well using the deep on  and fast off  and noise cancel channels (5,6,7,8,9,10,11) Were able to pick up the gold.
Using channels 1,2,3,4 the gold could not be picked up.

Channel 10 seemed to produce the best solid signal and I continued to use this and found a lovely hammered farthing later in the day on a DW rally in Hereford (potato farm)
Many people would discriminate against gold as the low blat is not unlike unwanted junk.
In order to find the smallest gold you must be able to open up your machine using only 1 bar iron on maximum.

Each machine has a slightly different harmonic frequency so individual testing should be conducted to get best results.
Also understand that electrical interference will affect greatly how any machine reacts.

Good luck gold hunting everyone.

you never know what lies below......

dreaming of detecting whilst............
detecting as there nothing else i would rather dooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jeff The Wizard

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2013, 09:54:35 PM »

Hi Richard,
Thanks for the info, a little over my head, but very interesting.
Must try it out tomorrow  Huh

dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2013, 07:26:14 AM »

check out the american forums,they tend to use channel 10 or 11 for thin gold.i think i saw it on findmall treasure forum a long time ago

gold = loads lol
daveh

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2013, 07:35:44 AM »

My best gold with the E-Trac is a hammered Henry Vi quarter noble. Grin
Is that small enough? Roll Eyes
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2013, 08:06:02 AM »

Are you saying Geoff, that the highest freq on the Etrac at, i think,14kh approx is better than the lowest available which is about 11khz, at picking up small gold.Presumably ch 1 = 14khz and ch11 = 11khz, am I right so far?.I remember seeing a video where a guy measured the exact frequencies transmitted by the Etrac,there does,nt seem to be much difference between the highest and lowest frequencies available.

Well Richard has muddied the water slightly by saying that the Etrac found the B A gold in the higher channels, but anyone who has witnessed how humbling this piece of gold is on 99% of top end machines, will I think realise that there is far more going on with it than just it's gold content/size and that the shape is doing some sort of Bronze Age stealth technology.
Well first you have got to realise that in metallic (signal) terms there is absolutely nothing special about gold and as I've said, silver and copper are both far better conductors and are therefore easier to find. And we are discussing "small" gold here so we are never going to get a great response from a normal consumer VLF machine.
The few VLF machines that are made for gold prospecting, run at frequencies above 60 kHz. These follow the laws of physics which are that the higher the frequency the more sensitive it is to the slightest change in the returning signal.
So yes the higher frequency on the Explorers is located at the lower noise channels, no 1 being just over 16 kHz (11 is 12.5kHz) and although only slight there is or should be an advantage in locating smaller items in the lower noise channels. Wink

And no there is nothing small about any gold coin  Undecided

If you dig all your lead and foil then you won't miss much Wink
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 08:11:30 AM by Chef Geoff » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal