Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: How much gold is there in the world?  (Read 5393 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: April 01, 2013, 11:53:26 AM »

By Ed Prio

Imagine if you were a super-villain who had taken control of all the world's gold, and had decided to melt it down to make a cube. How big would it be? Hundreds of metres, thousands even?

Actually, it's unlikely to be anything like that size.

Warren Buffett, one of the world's richest investors, says the total amount of gold in the world - the gold above ground, that is - could fit into a cube with sides of just 20m (67ft).

But is that all there is? And if so, how do we know?

A figure that is widely used by investors comes from Thomson Reuters GFMS, which produces an annual gold survey.

Their latest figure for all the gold in the world is 171,300 tonnes - which is almost exactly the same as the amount in our super-villain's imaginary cube.

A cube made of 171,300 tonnes would be about 20.7m (68ft) on each side. Or to put it another way, it would reach to 9.8m above ground level if exactly covering Wimbledon Centre Court.

But not everyone agrees with the GFMS figures.

Estimates range from 155,244 tonnes, marginally less than the GFMS figure, to about 16 times that amount - 2.5 million tonnes.

That bigger figure would make a cube of sides 50m (166ft) long, or a column of gold towering 143m above Wimbledon centre court.

So why are the figures so different?

Part of the reason is that gold has been mined for a very long time - more than 6,000 years, according to gold historian Timothy Green.

All the gold that has been mined throughout history is still in existence.

The first gold coins were minted in about 550 BC under King Croesus of Lydia - a province in modern-day Turkey - and quickly became accepted payment for merchants and mercenary soldiers around the Mediterranean.

Up until 1492, the year Columbus sailed to America, GFMS estimates that 12,780 tonnes had been extracted.

But one investor who looked at the research done in this area, James Turk, the founder of Gold Money, discovered what he regarded as a series of over-estimates.

He believes that the primitive mining techniques used up to the Middle Ages mean that this figure is much too high, and that a more realistic total is just 297 tonnes.

His figure for the overall amount of gold in the world is 155,244 tonnes - 16,056 tonnes, or 10% less, than the assessment by Thompson Reuters GFMS. A relatively small disparity, perhaps, but one that at today's prices comes to more than $950bn.

His conclusions are accepted by some investors but such is the feeling between rival analysts that one competitor described Turk's figures as an alternative to the GFMS's "in the same way that Jedi is an alternative to Christianity".

But there are others who think both sets of figures are too low.

"In Tutankhamen's tomb alone they found that his coffin was made from 1.5 tonnes of gold, so imagine the gold that was found in the other tombs that were ransacked before records were taken of them," says Jan Skoyles of gold investment firm The Real Asset Company.

While James Turk makes only minor adjustments to the GFMS figure for the amount of gold mined after 1492, Skoyles points out that even today China is "not particularly open" about how much gold it is mining.

And in some countries, such as Colombia, "there's a lot of illegal mining going on", she says.

She doesn't have an exact figure to offer, but one organisation that has tried to do some maths is the Gold Standard Institute.

There is much gold still in the ground, like here in Democratic Republic of Congo
Its experts believe that if we emptied our bank vaults and jewellery boxes, we'd find no less than 2.5 million tonnes of gold - though they admit that the evidence is somewhat sparse and the figure is a bit speculative.

So who's right?

Well, we don't know.

In the end, all these numbers are made up of estimates added to estimates added to yet more estimates. Maybe they're all way off.

The good news is that we are not likely to run out of gold any time soon. The US Geological Survey estimates there are 52,000 tonnes of minable gold still in the ground and more is likely to be discovered.

The bad news is that the way we use gold is starting to change.

Up to now it has never gone away. It has always been recycled.

"All the gold that has been mined throughout history is still in existence in the above-ground stock. That means that if you have a gold watch, some of the gold in that watch could have been mined by the Romans 2,000 years ago," says James Turk.

The way gold is being used in the technology industry, however, is different.

The British Geological Survey states that about 12% of current world gold production finds its way to this sector, where it is often used in such small quantities, in each individual product, that it may no longer be economical to recycle it.

In short, gold may be being "consumed" for the first time.

* _66663088_big_austria_goldafp624.jpg (48 KB, 624x401 - viewed 482 times.)

* _66662411_wimbledon_gold_624.jpg (201.33 KB, 624x350 - viewed 491 times.)

* _66663089_tuts_tomb_464afp.jpg (31.15 KB, 464x261 - viewed 474 times.)

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 12:02:02 PM »

How is Badger going to get all that gold in his living room ?

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
HiHoSilver
Rally attendee

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 12:20:06 PM »

It's Ed Prior and here's the original article:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21969100

I believe it's nearer the 2.5m tonnes mark, but it's like diamonds where they claim they are extremely rare and hold back so much of them to keep the prices high. There's also lots and lots of gold particles in the sea but no cost effective way to retrieve it... yet.

Grin

XP Deus v2.0 + Garrett Pro Pointer
Started 'tecting Sept 2011.
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 12:51:58 PM »

And did you know that all the worlds gold and platinum didnt arrive on earth until 200 million years after earths formation.  Smiley

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 01:28:26 PM »

Gordon Brown under the labour party sold off all the uk's gold reserves hoping to make some money, however he got it wrong and lost our money ! Pretty tipical of the Labour party  Grin Grin
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 01:44:02 PM »

And did you know that all the worlds gold and platinum didnt arrive on earth until 200 million years after earths formation.  Smiley

Wrong! Cheesy
It's estimated that there is far more "natural" gold than has come by way of meteorites etc......BUT as it was part of earth's molten state, it sank to the core, never to be retrieved.
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 01:47:55 PM »

Wrong! Cheesy
It's estimated that there is far more "natural" gold than has come by way of meteorites etc......BUT as it was part of earth's molten state, it sank to the core, never to be retrieved.
Oh well my degree material is rubbish then Smiley

Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 01:52:50 PM »

Wrong! Cheesy
Oh well my degree material is rubbish then Smiley

Oh no wait.......... I read my books poorly and Chef is right. I'm of to look for a waaa waaa &*$ waaaaaaaaaa soundclip.

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 03:13:19 PM »

Talking of re-cycled gold, does anyone remember the stink about Nazi gold being I.D'd in the Swiss banks ??
Now that's one gruesome way to re-cycle.  How about having some of that in your gold watch. Shocked

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 04:24:43 PM »

ITS MINE ALL MINE I TELL YAAA OOOOOOOH HA HA HA  Grin.
 it said on Q I once that all the gold ever mined would fill two olympic sized swimming pools.i just want a paddlin pool full lol Shocked
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 04:30:38 PM by dances with badgers » Logged

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 08:45:19 PM »

I work in the semiconductor industry (if you drive on the M4, it's that big shed at j24 opposite Celtic Manor) - and last year I spent quite a lot of time consuming microscopic amounts of gold (the layer was about 0.2 of a micron, which itself is a 1000th of a mm). We didn't recover that gold, but 'in the field' - i.e that particular company that we sell tools to does recover the gold from the chamber.

As I'm sure a lot of you know, gold is often used on contacts - the other day I was cutting up an old credit card, and decided to look at the chip - the wires used to connect the chip to the contacts you see on the surface are at least gold plated.....
colin

dig everything

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 08:58:12 PM »

what about computer circuit boards is that gold or just plated
 Wink
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 09:01:24 PM »

what about computer circuit boards is that gold or just plated
 Wink

Most is just plated - on some earlier boards / machines the tinest wires which connect the 'chip' proper with the outside world are solid. I'm convinced that given the number of pins on a CPU nowadays that they are just plated Smiley - but it all adds up - there are people who sell on eBay pounds and pounds of scrap boards, for people to recover the gold, although I wouldn't recommend it - partly because of the chemicals needs and partly because the returns are too small.
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 08:20:38 PM »

i agree have looked into it,you need various dodgy chemicals to process the chips and motherboards also once the gold has been smelted into a nugget its hard to get a dealer to buy it,there is one guy in cardiff but cant remember his name. Angry

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 08:48:27 AM »

i agree have looked into it,you need various dodgy chemicals to process the chips and motherboards also once the gold has been smelted into a nugget its hard to get a dealer to buy it,there is one guy in cardiff but cant remember his name. Angry
Of course one of the problems is that you don't have any markings to show what the carat is. Most jewellers wouldn't then take that - and additionally they wouldn't usually give you a good price for that either.

I remember one shop in Cardiff offering me £30 for a post 1900 and £35 for a pre 1900 sovereign.......I just wish now that I had bought loads of Lloyd Bennett when he was selling them for £46 a pop....

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal