Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't be fooled by the hype!  (Read 56867 times)
crabman
Rally attendee

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2014, 11:57:55 PM »

hi thankyou for your help on advice for beginners may i ask a question witch metal detector do you think i should get il be useing it on the beach and mines please  Smiley its my first one
hoover-G

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2014, 12:36:52 AM »

Think it depends on budget but there is good machines out there all doing the same thing. Just get yourself something that's simple too use. I myself started with a garrett ace week after got a minelab Xs and now 4 and half years later I've a ace 150 and 250. MinelabXs. And  c scope. Plus an at pro which im selling for my buddy. A good starter at a reasonable price would be the garrett range for sure.  Wink
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2014, 01:29:11 AM »

OK well there is no such thing as beginners machines only budget machines, metal detecting isn't rocket science and starting off on any machine has it's learning curve and so your choice is going to be driven by cost but if beach detecting is going to take a large part of your time then my stock answer is a second hand Minelab Sovereign (any version) as there is no better VLF beach machine, you should be able to pick one up under £350. Wink
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2014, 06:06:59 PM »

Thank you great piece,I am now a little wiser,and as I am a relative new by I will read it again and again,many,many thanks.
Nigel at Regtons
Rally attendee

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2016, 12:22:03 PM »

Val...... on that bad site of yours, if you get the opportunity try using P3 and dropping sensitivity down to 70 (yes, that low) it will make a huge difference, you are trying to drive in fog on high beam, try low beam, less is more sometimes.
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2016, 09:54:32 PM »

Thanks for that advice Nigel. This is an old thread but I assume you're referring to the heavily mineralised fields I mentioned.
I do still occasionally get drawn back there, it's only 12 mins away, never find much and can't see why not. Maybe you've given me the answer.
70 - 85 is what Deus recommends for the beach and it works quit well. I'll give it a try.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Autoad
Rally attendee

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2017, 12:34:36 AM »

Some people are discouraged to get metal detectors because they think that products are expensive. However, the good news is that prices of metal hunting devices have gone down, partly because of the increased competition from manufacturers. The price range of basic metal detectors can range from $50 to $300. Top of the line products, which are used by professionals, can be priced from $300 to $900. Whatever your budget, you can consider the company who made the device, included accessories, and of course the main features.

dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2017, 11:24:52 AM »

Did we ever hear what happened to Chef Geoff ?....
When he used to participate on this forum he was an absolute Guru with his vast amount of detecting knowledge and expertise.
He wisely advised me on many a topic... anyway,thanks GEOFF wherever you are..👍
Nap
Rally attendee

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2019, 04:39:03 PM »

Nice, but not quite correct. A bigger coil will punch deeper, including finding small items, as it has a bigger field, this is especially true of concentric coils - think 8" coil, 8" depth. 10" coil, 10" depth, etc.

Also, without bending the laws of physics, there is a way of coping with mineralisation in soil 'building up' the deeper you go, and this is by using more than one frequency, which is why multi-frequency Minelabs can find tiny items, clearly, at great depth.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal