Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: e trac programs  (Read 13299 times)
jonny

« on: May 14, 2009, 08:08:21 AM »

would like to hear opinions on using the preset programs on my e trac, have not ventured much beyond searching in the coin program.
Debbie

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 08:23:05 AM »

Hi Jonny, I search in all metal - you can get quite a bit of ear-bashing if there is a lot of iron in the ground, but the advantage is you don't mask out any of the goodies either.  I know that one of the selling points of the e-trac is to be able to program it to do this, that and the other, but IMHO when you start using any discrim, including iron mask, then you can start to lose depth and sensitivity.  It is a bit horses for courses though - if you are detecting in exceptional conditions where 'all metal' is just not do-able, then having the other programs and settings are useful.  So far, I haven't been anywhere where I have changed the setting from all metal.  The best thing to do is just experiment - even if you spend a couple of hours in a field trying out different settings and see how you get on in those particular conditions - the e-trac will store a few user settings, so it is easy to switch between them. Smiley
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 09:10:12 AM »

Hi Jonny
The beauty of the Etrac is that nothing is written in stone ie. you can change everything, You will read lots of posts on various forums expounding the virtue of this or that setting, but to be honest each site requires slightly different settings.

If you are new to the Etrac then factory pre-sets are a good place to start and will help you get a working knowledge of the machine, sounds, pinpoint etc.

As you progress you will want to use "all metal" or minimal disc with only one or two bars up on the bottom and maybe a triangular nail pattern in the bottom right.

Also you will want to come out of auto sens and try manual, all I can say is WOW! it's a totally different animal in manual, and a wild one at that so try this in one of the factory disc modes or you may get confused as to what exactly the machine is trying to tell you.

Have a look over on MLO and while your there download the Etrac emulator so you can get a feel for different patterns before you go into the field.

Chef
jonny

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 10:38:57 AM »

Thanks Debbie/ Chef, forgive my ignorrance but not sure how to arrive at the all metal mode, would this be similar to the Relic setting
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 10:45:51 AM »

Jonny , I got a Whites DFX , its got all metal and is a very programable machine, what I found was that I started off on the factory settings but my natural inquisitivness made be learn the machine bit by bit to try and learn it all in one go is a big ask.

Good luck fella

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Richy
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 11:14:55 AM »

Goff the Chef, can you please explain in simple terms (I'm simple) how to download different files to the emulator so's I can try different kinds of targets?. I've tried but haven't had much success.

Thanks, Richy.

You can show a gift horse water but a pencil must be lead.
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 02:07:13 PM »

OK Jonny
Nice and simple, just turn the etrac on press your smart screen button (the one that looks like the screen) now you are looking at an open (all metal) screen, if your just starting I would put 2 bars on the bottom and 1 on the left, to do this, simply press your up key twice and your right key once, now press detect and then "yes" to save. now you will want to add the nail pattern in the bottom right, so press menu, across to disc then down to edit.
Hope that makes sense if not give me a ring on 07788897660 and i'll try and talk you through it.

Chef
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 02:16:03 PM »

Hi simple Dickle Cheesy

Don't worry your not alone. your pattern files are .ptrn files. the best way is to create a new file on your computer marked "pattern files" to keep them all in one place.
So with emulator working, just press file then import, and navigate to the one you want.

Chef

Oh or did you mean how to get them from the machine to the emulator? if so you need to download them into the computer with the exchange program first.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 02:22:53 PM by Chef (Geoff) » Logged
jonny

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 04:55:22 PM »

Hi Chef, thanks for taking the trouble to explain how to get into the program, I will download it so that i can study it , your obviously use to explaining to idiots, thanks again

Jonny
Richy
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 05:03:40 PM »

I'm trying to add emulator files from the MLO site,there's much more to it than that Chef, you have to download zip files, open them, send them to somewhere else, number them and God knows what else. Sad

I have no problems programming my E-Trac and using the Xchange software it's just the Emulator that's doing my head in. lol

Richy..
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 05:28:36 PM by Dickle » Logged

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 05:44:55 PM »

AHHH! OK Richy
You mean "target files" for the emulator.
OK no problem, if your just downloading and not making your own then don't zip unzip or number anything.
Once again download to a file you can remember, when you have downloaded all the ones you want open the folder you stored them in. Now you have to move them  to the emulator program.
So you need to go, My computer, then local disk, then programs, then Etracem-v1-en and datazip.

once you know where they go you can of course send them there at download.

Hope this helps

Chef
Richy
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 11:27:59 AM »

Thanks Geoff, I'll give it a go and let you know how I get on Smiley

Richy.

Richy
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 04:14:33 PM »

Hey I've done it! Thanks a lot Geoff, I owe you a beer mate. Smiley Smiley Smiley

Richy.

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 04:25:09 PM »

Well done Richy, glad to help.

Geoff

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal