Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The search goes on  (Read 2847 times)
alun

« on: March 16, 2013, 05:09:11 PM »

Over the last few weeks I have been waiting for the weather to change enough to get onto the higher regions of a large area i have been researching and searching. The area has so much history from Roman, medieval and Georgian , this is a site that holds its history well deep.
Yesterday allowed me to get where I need to be and eagerly set up my DFX with a pasture setting and set off in hopes well high. After the inevitable usual iron I had my first good clear signal which  is where i was hoping to gain something of quality as it was at the bottom of a slight rise which flattened off to a level area of around 150'.
Digging carefully i  soon turned up the florin, not what i thought would be up here in the clouds, but still a nice bit of silver never the less.
 After around 2 hours of carefully covering the corner of the field which edges onto rise to the flat, my next area was the rise and flat. Good signals were scarce at first but then there seemed to be a patch where there finds were a little more recognisable but alien to area. Now i was well confused but itching to get up on the flat area, so decided to indulge in that anti social habit and a quick coffee. Its a bit of a bugger when you look up to go back to your truck only to find to mist was happily rolling along the top of the mountain ready to end my day.
After a hasty but gingerly drive down what you could loosely call a track, I was once again back to civilisation so decided to talk to the farmer of how so much pre decimal coins are in that area. Apparently the top "meadow" as he called it was used by Gypsy and local horse sellers for many years to run the horses up where they would then trade and sell. That,s one hell of a Gallop, made me wonder how many horses never made it up there, so the mystery of the pre decimals was now apparent but then John (The farmer), said that i should have gone more to the left as it was once said that there was a small medieval village of around 20 homes there.  Undecided Cry Embarrassed Was planning on getting there today but weather said no. wife said no and ended up baby sitting for the rest of the weekend.
I write this with a tear i my eye, as the mountain is clearly visible from my dinning room window,  Sad

I did manage to pull a few other finds from some extremely small bronze fragments, through to 7.26 bullet casings,and buckles. When i can get a clear pic of some of the bronze in question i will post them

* 9af2d34f-298c-4428-ba2a-2fada6669988_zpse940967b.jpg (102.32 KB, 600x450 - viewed 910 times.)

Roman Artefacts: 6
Gold:         3
Medieval 15
Silver:34
Etrac
AT Pro
Whites
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 06:57:53 PM »

well done on the florin Alun, sounds like you've got a good site there
with possibly a lot more finds to come

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 07:10:11 PM »

Over the last few weeks I have been waiting for the weather to change enough to get onto the higher regions of a large area i have been researching and searching. The area has so much history from Roman, medieval and Georgian , this is a site that holds its history well deep.
Yesterday allowed me to get where I need to be and eagerly set up my DFX with a pasture setting and set off in hopes well high. After the inevitable usual iron I had my first good clear signal which  is where i was hoping to gain something of quality as it was at the bottom of a slight rise which flattened off to a level area of around 150'.
Digging carefully i  soon turned up the florin, not what i thought would be up here in the clouds, but still a nice bit of silver never the less.
 After around 2 hours of carefully covering the corner of the field which edges onto rise to the flat, my next area was the rise and flat. Good signals were scarce at first but then there seemed to be a patch where there finds were a little more recognisable but alien to area. Now i was well confused but itching to get up on the flat area, so decided to indulge in that anti social habit and a quick coffee. Its a bit of a bugger when you look up to go back to your truck only to find to mist was happily rolling along the top of the mountain ready to end my day.
After a hasty but gingerly drive down what you could loosely call a track, I was once again back to civilisation so decided to talk to the farmer of how so much pre decimal coins are in that area. Apparently the top "meadow" as he called it was used by Gypsy and local horse sellers for many years to run the horses up where they would then trade and sell. That,s one hell of a Gallop, made me wonder how many horses never made it up there, so the mystery of the pre decimals was now apparent but then John (The farmer), said that i should have gone more to the left as it was once said that there was a small medieval village of around 20 homes there.  Undecided Cry Embarrassed Was planning on getting there today but weather said no. wife said no and ended up baby sitting for the rest of the weekend.
I write this with a tear i my eye, as the mountain is clearly visible from my dinning room window,  Sad

I did manage to pull a few other finds from some extremely small bronze fragments, through to 7.26 bullet casings,and buckles. When i can get a clear pic of some of the bronze in question i will post them
Great write up alun Wink more to come for sure,weather wont always be against you,wife will say go for it, just recharge your batteries and your DFX's, !!! look out that window and dream what lies awaitng you mate Smiley Wink
congerman
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 08:59:37 PM »

Interesting posting and well done on the finds good luck  Wink
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 09:51:26 PM »

Nice post - thanks for sharing
relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 09:58:15 PM »

Good read,bound to be a few choice finds in an area like that,hopfuly your be posting up some pictures of some gold next time

Deus 2013

Hammies: 32
Saxon gilded saucer brooch 1
Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
WeCan-Octavian
Superhero Member

''On it like Sonic''

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 05:47:58 AM »

Keep searching well done  Grin

''By order of the long haired general'' I now use a Minelab !!!!!
rst4me100
Rally attendee

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 01:19:27 PM »

Sounds good mate! a good old horse fair site has got to be productive.
cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 08:06:49 PM »

Hopefully the finds will be worth the wait.

Hammered                 5         
Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
Disc brooches             2
Med. silver annular brooch

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal